• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

90° tire valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geesh Skooter, where's the love? :rolleyes: hmmm. New phrase - 'Be nice or I'll go Skyooter on yah! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (notice the 2x smiley?)
It's FRIDAY!!!!

And I ain't talking about 'spread the peace and love' Friday.

:p
Yeppers... knew the Skyooter would get yah... :yahoo: So what happend to the girlfriend anyway? She must be looooonnggg gooonnne for you to be this onery.. :unsure: <return to topic> I have the 90 degree stems and have run them since June? 2006. 22,000 miles later, no problems. IMHO they are much more reliable than the stock rubbers which DID leak on me and left me to ride the last 5 miles on a flat rear.. :angry:

<\return to topic>

I've heard of the rubber 90 degree ones failing, but never a solid one.

I've used the 90 degree Ducati brand -- never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad day SkooterG?

So right you are. I've never had anything made since 1980 fail on me. My bad for asking. <_<

Stems to fail? They are solid aluminum. I guess those pesky wheels could fail too due to the centrifugal forces. Of course a meteor could fall from the sky and hit you while riding your beloved FJR too. It's DANGEROUS out there! Once of the reasons we put these on is because they are less likely to fail then standard rubber stems. Was he talking about those? Anywho, like Jeff said, if its good enough for a race team, it's good enough for me.
No, they don't back off, just as most of the bolts/nuts on your FJR don't either. They come with a threadlocker installed on the threads. C'mon folks, this isn't rocket science. Just a simple solid valve stem.

30% Shipping????
(btw: i ordered a set... but MAN!)

(btbtw: and i was one of those who reported having bought a set from cycle gear and them not being able to get them to fit when i had them mount my last set of tires.)

I also bought a set from Cycle Gear AND U motors. Both were the same(more or less) item of one piece alum with an o-ring on the bottom for the seal. The did not fit the FJR rim IIRC these were 10mm so the FJR has a larger hole than that.

Jeff,

Do yours have a rubber boot on the bottom or an o-ring?

FWIW on something this small stick it in an envelope with a .39 stamp. Even with delivery conformation its $1.50 USPS
If you look very closely, there is a rubber gasket fitted to a grove in the bottom of the valve stem. It has a kind of cone shape that corresponds to the inside shape of the fixing nut. This is not a very good explanation but that is the best I can think of now.

Valve stem photo

Mission motorsports, Irvine CA, shop foreman would not put these on my bike, since he said that they are not for tires but for forks. WTF. Oh well, maybe next tire change.
Well, the foreman who recommended against this was correct in a sense that he may not be aware of all available products that are on the market, and may not have been referring to this type of 90 degree valve stem. There are some 90 degree valve stems that you do indeed need to avoid on a high speed motorcycle such as the FJR. The image below are the kind that I believe you do not want to install on this bike. The kind that Jeff is selling will work as advertised when correctly installed.

Image34.jpg

I ordered mine from Jeff (Bike Effects)

I don't recall the size, I just ordered the ones he listed for the FJR.

Look exactly like his picture above.

I've had mine installed for 5000 miles with no issues.

I do recall the deep well socket I used just barefly fit inside the recessed hole in the stock rims when I was installing them.

Like he said, they have a thread locking compund to keep the nut from walking off.

As you tighten them during the install you will see them seat into the hole.

Looked to me as the o-ring was a teflon coated metal ring.

High quality item IMHO.

No issues with wheel balancing, I installed them at the same time as my smartire sensors.

+1 on the ordering something else to offset the shipping charges.

I forget what else I threw in, it might have been a PCIII.

Nothing but great service :clapping:

I ordered mine from Jeff (Bike Effects)I don't recall the size, I just ordered the ones he listed for the FJR.

High quality item IMHO.
+ 1

I have the very same, excellent products.

Because I have wave rotors (both front and rear) I used to mangle the back of my hands trying to check the tire pressure.

Now this task no longer requires bloodshed... :blink: and it's fast as hell.

Stef

Mission motorsports, Irvine CA, shop foreman would not put these on my bike, since he said that they are not for tires but for forks. WTF. Oh well, maybe next tire change.
Well, the foreman who recommended against this was correct in a sense that he may not be aware of all available products that are on the market, and may not have been referring to this type of 90 degree valve stem. There are some 90 degree valve stems that you do indeed need to avoid on a high speed motorcycle such as the FJR. The image below are the kind that I believe you do not want to install on this bike. The kind that Jeff is selling will work as advertised when correctly installed.

Image34.jpg
:angry:

Rats, that would have been nice to know 24 hours ago. I just had cycle gear put a couple of those on when they mounted my Storms today. Oh well. Ran the ton fine on the break in ride this afternoon.

I installed the 90 degree stems that I bought from Jeff, a few months ago, today.

119701s.jpg

Oh, hell yes, these are going to make tire maintenance a hell of a LOT easier.

I did go with black though so I could more easily see em. :D

Teerex

Excellent photo, thanks. I have a newbie question. Does it matter how you orient the valvestem? In your photo the stem appears to be pointed outward. Would there be a balancing benefit if the stem were in line with the wheel's centerline?

Bob

Teerex
Excellent photo, thanks. I have a newbie question. Does it matter how you orient the valvestem? In your photo the stem appears to be pointed outward. Would there be a balancing benefit if the stem were in line with the wheel's centerline?

Bob
Bob,

In theory I'd have to say yes but it's a negligible benefit in terms of balancing the tire as these stems are feather-light.

Conversely, pointing the valvestem along the centerline would negate the advantage of having the stem at a 90° angle.

Believe me, checking the tire pressure with these aluminum puppies is a pleasure compared to the normal stems (...as long as they're pointed outward, that is ;) )

Stef

Has anyone had a problem with the nut backing off in the tire? That would be a major setback on a ride.
I think about these every time I check my tire pressure and lose air in the process. (Pressure would have been OK if I hadn't check it :angry: )

It's not me that wants to know, I'm asking for the new Avon Storms sitting out in my garage. :rolleyes:

Coyote, I don't see anyone specifically answering your question about Storms. My Storms have done fine with the 90 degree stems installed at the same time. In fact, it took 2+ weeks to lose even a single pound of pressure, and I've run them (briefly) up to 135mph, on a closed course, of course. FWIW I had the front stem installed facing to the right (starboard) side so when the bike is on the sidestand it is a little easier to get to, and the rear to the left (port) as that is the side without a brake rotor, thus easier to fill with air. YMMV

And I agree with everything Skooter says. Always, well mostly. :p