90% valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them on my FJR1300 and have sold many from FJR owners and others. No complaints.
I think it was Turbo Dave who told me a story of how one failed on his front tire at speed and he almost went down. Not sure what brand or where he got them from, but how's that for a complaint?
It might be a complaint if he had bought them here, or even the same brand. Do you have all the facts?

It might be a complaint if he had bought them here, or even the same brand. Do you have all the facts?
The way I remember it, the ones he had were add-ons to the straight style. Looking at the pictures of yours, I dont see any way they could fail. In fact, I'm just about to order a pair for my upcoming rear tire swapout. I sure wish Dave would chime in with some details. What brand are yours?

Edit- I sent TD a PM. Maybe he'll show up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I remember it, the ones he had were add-ons to the straight style. Looking at the pictures of yours, I dont see any way they could fail. In fact, I'm just about to order a pair for my upcoming rear tire swapout. I sure wish Dave would chime in with some details. What brand are yours?
Ariete, if I remember correctly.

I have them on the SV & a set for the FJR at the next tire change. Strait up valve stems springs can depress at high rotational tire speeds. ;)

Here's the poop folks. The ones I had are not the ones from Bike Effects. I got them from I think Happy Trails. They were a 90degree adapater that screwed on to the vertical valve stem and you did not replace the OEM stem. Some how one of the units failed at the point where they screwed on to the OEM stem, so the schrader valve on the OEM stem was open and the tire deflated. Was lucky that it happened on a straight section as I can tell you the FJR does not steer hardly at all when the front tire is totally deflated as was my incident. Hope this clears this up. I am not familiar with the Sport Effects unit but they look totally different than what failed on my FJR.

Have seen this happen with many valve extenders. Bad news, and almost always the source of an air leak, be it car or bike.

Tried a set of the adapters without knowing about turbodave_98's

issues, but didn't like the way that they "flopped around" between

the rotors...made me really nervous, so I took 'em off but kept

the metal cap.

td_98, glad you're okay after that scare.

The 90 DEGREE stems will go in at my next tire change.

Jim

I have them on the SV & a set for the FJR at the next tire change. Strait up valve stems springs can depress at high rotational tire speeds. ;)
Which is why the better race orgs require o-ringed metal leak-proof caps.

I have them on the SV & a set for the FJR at the next tire change. Strait up valve stems springs can depress at high rotational tire speeds.  ;)
Which is why the better race orgs require o-ringed metal leak-proof caps.
+1 on the metal caps!

No worry of failure(of the valve core at least) with a good set of caps!

Bye the way, Team Emgo Suzuki purchased 90 degree valve stems from me for all of their race bikes. They must have confindence in them.

Yeah, but all their rear view mirrors fell off during the last race... :lol: