905 Crashbars on an AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anthony

If you happen to have 905 Crashbars on an AE model, no matter where you live. Please contact me. I need information about a possible redesign. PM me and I can forward you important information.

Saw a pair of them on an AE this weekend in Eureka. John from Texas, had the back ones as well. Sure as hell didn't slow him down. He probably won't be near a computer for a few days, though.

If you happen to have 905 Crashbars on an AE model, no matter where you live. Please contact me. I need information about a possible redesign. PM me and I can forward you important information.
I have a 2007 AE and I have the 905 crashbars. I have not had the chance to install them yet. What do I need to know about a possible redesign?

I have the 905 crash bars on a 2006 AE. Just yesterday I finally took a grinder to them in hopes to stop the occasional grinding in tight turns.

Too much sekret squirrel shit going on here. Just tell us what the problem is with the crash bars <_<

Too much sekret squirrel shit going on here. Just tell us what the problem is with the crash bars <_<

There just may be a case of EXTREME grinding / hanging up on SOME of the AE models, particularly on the throttle side. Maybe it was just an early model thing. I just wanted input to help 905 in their design updates, that is all :)

Last edited:

There just may be a case of EXTREME grinding / hanging up on SOME of the AE models, particularly on the throttle side. Maybe it was just an early model thing. I just wanted input to help 905 in their design updates, that is all :)
So what is grinding? Seriously, if part are grinding where this will become a safety issue then it should be said.

Well I'm John from Texas. I have the front and back crash bars on my '06 AE. I don't know what grinding you are referring

to. I did touch the front right side bar at the lower attachment point once while practicing in a parking lot. I have since upgraded to Race Tech front suspension which has raised the front end somewhat. I'm no peg scraper but so far so good.

John

Thank you slowpoke...

I did scrape mine bad enough on the clutch side to lose traction while cornering, bike is totalled, insurance is totalled. That was my 905 test ride. And yes I'm a hard rider, and no, most people probably dont scrape, but I am unsure. I even had fully preloaded front suspension and a harder rear spring with riser dogbones.

I figure I got a bad prototype, and of course they are saying that they will "work with me" for new bars, but I honestly do not think I can afford another feej. If I was seriously injured, then getting an attorney would be no big issue. However, I am not a lawsuit seeking individual, especially for small businesses that are custom designing products for people. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. That's just how I am these days.

So thusly, I do think they need a redesign, and any input would help. I think the AE bars are more susceptible to this issue due to the extra needed "bolt through" clearance.

I really wish they would just refund my money.

Last edited:
Thank you slowpoke...

I did scrape mine bad enough on the clutch side to lose traction while cornering, bike is totalled, insurance is totalled. That was my 905 test ride. And yes I'm a hard rider, and no, most people probably dont scrape, but I am unsure. I even had fully preloaded front suspension and a harder rear spring with riser dogbones.

I figure I got a bad prototype, and of course they are saying that they will "work with me" for new bars, but I honestly do not think I can afford another feej. I am not a lawsuit seeking individual, especially for small businesses that are custom designing products for people. Luckily, I wasnt seriously injured.

So thusly, I do think they need a redesign, and any input would help. I think the AE bars are more susceptible to this issue due to the extra needed "bolt through" clearance.

I'm a little confused, wasn't it your call to install the bars? I think it's your responsebility to ride the bike so it won't bottom out. I heard of guys touching cans and the center stand, does that make the manufacture responsible to redesign those parts? Just saying...

Thank you slowpoke...

I figure I got a bad prototype, and of course they are saying that they will "work with me" for new bars, but I honestly do not think I can afford another feej. I am not a lawsuit seeking individual, especially for small businesses that are custom designing products for people. Luckily, I wasnt seriously injured.

I'm a little confused, wasn't it your call to install the bars? I think it's your responsebility to ride the bike so it won't bottom out. I heard of guys touching cans and the center stand, does that make the manufacture responsible to redesign those parts? Just saying...

Not at all, which is why I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt. I was just editing that in while you quoted me :)

Thank you slowpoke...

I would say that if the bars hit the ground and the manufacturer did not say that there is reduced corner clearence that Yes they have some responsability.

If you choose to install a fram oil filter and it does not allow oil to flow and blows your engine wouldn't you go back to them.

Thats part of marketing,manufacturing and selling a prooduct.

To say he should ride so they dont bottom out is ridiculous. do you think he had his head down there were he could see the clearance while doing a corner at 60 mph. I don't think so.

If they are designed for this bike they should help prevent damage not be the cause of it.

Just my 2 Cent

Last edited by a moderator:
People, before this turns into a pissing match that needs moderation. The 905 bars DID THEIR JOB, they kept the bike off me in a slide. It was me hitting the dirt shoulder, cuasing my bike to flip over into the gravelly dirt that caused most, IF NOT ALL of the damage. The bars did keep the plastic and everything, myself included, PROTECTED.

I could equally blame the dirt shoulder, or Yamaha, for making their damn plastic parts so expensive, or the shop mechanics for their insurance contract rates, et al, for the total loss. Luckily, I was only going about 25mph, which is 20mph UNDER the speed limit in my test area.

Retrospectively, it could have been much worse, I could have lost wheel contact, then reconnected and high sided, or been doing my usual 40mph, or I could have not been wearing my motoport gear (ATGATT!), or worse yet, gone off of the mountain ledge side! The latter, which would make me look like this in a wheelchair for the rest of my life :dribble:

Seriously, please dont turn this into something more than it is.

And yes, I will add pictures at some point, I want to go get some good pics of other possible scenarios to put it into perspective when my adrenaline isn't cranking through my body.

To be fair, 905 Crash Bars are made for stunting. They're designed to keep the frame/bike off the ground if you drop in on a wheelie, stoppie, etc. They're not designed for high speed railing.

To be fair, 905 Crash Bars are made for stunting. They're designed to keep the frame/bike off the ground if you drop in on a wheelie, stoppie, etc. They're not designed for high speed railing.

Wow, I've never seen a stunt rider on an FJR1300AE. Neato!

Not sure if I am following here so I'm going to lay this out since I have a 2007AE and was considering these. First you said the redesign was due to a potential high side on the THROTTLE side. Then you said you crashed due to a high side on the CLUTCH side. Then you said you were only doing 25 MPH. So I am confused how in the hell did you get that far over to cause that much damage from a left side scrape? Were you going into a hairpin turn or something? I agree with many of the posters, and especially after your explanation, it isn't the designer's fault - it's your fault. I don't know if I have ever leaned that far over in a 25mph corner even on my crotch rockets. Care must be taken when riding these things with farkles not designed by the manufacturer (which I am sure you are well aware of.) Seems a little strange you had so much of an issue with high siding those bars. However, hearing your story has made me rethink this $350 farkle for the time being. Let us know how it turns out.

Not sure if I am following here so I'm going to lay this out since I have a 2007AE and was considering these. First you said the redesign was due to a potential high side on the THROTTLE side. Then you said you crashed due to a high side on the CLUTCH side. Then you said you were only doing 25 MPH. So I am confused how in the hell did you get that far over to cause that much damage from a left side scrape? Were you going into a hairpin turn or something? I agree with many of the posters, and especially after your explanation, it isn't the designer's fault - it's your fault. I don't know if I have ever leaned that far over in a 25mph corner even on my crotch rockets. Care must be taken when riding these things with farkles not designed by the manufacturer (which I am sure you are well aware of.) Seems a little strange you had so much of an issue with high siding those bars. However, hearing your story has made me rethink this $350 farkle for the time being. Let us know how it turns out.
Read post 9. This is more than one persons "opinion". I would assume parking lot practice referenced was also low speed.