A Dual Sport Virgin No More

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Wow. I had a great ride last Friday. First one in a while. I mean, though I ride daily, I haven't had a GREAT FUN ride on two wheels in a long time. Well, I got to do my first dual-sport adventure with a great group of guys and it was a freaking BLAST..............

No FJR for this ride. Mucho thanks to GSJane for letting me borrow her 2009 BMW F650GS and getting it all dirty. :D Lucky me, I was fortunate enough to join the local AZBeemers Kool-Aid drinkers for a great day of dual-sport riding the Apache Trail, and Four Peaks - one of Arizona's more visible geographic landmarks.

At the meet point, right before heading out on the Apache Trail:

FourPeaksFeb09104.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09102.jpg

If your a fine Irish lad with a passion for sheep, this is your bike of choice:

FourPeaksFeb09107.jpg

And the lone stand out not of BMW persuasion:

FourPeaksFeb09108.jpg

So which of these two ancient relics is the oldest? I know. Tough call.

FourPeaksFeb09105.jpg

After much consumption of Kool-Aid, we hit the road. First up was the Apache Trail, or Highway 88.

Link to route

This is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike, paved until a few miles past Tortilla Flat (Point "B" in the link above), then a dirt road until Roosevelt Lake. Slow going to Tortilla Flat with the typical heavy tourist traffic on the tight, windy road. But then, after a water crossing through a flowing wash, the road was ours. It had been a few years since I did the dirt portion on my FJR. Well, I had forgotten how beautiful it was. Also a hell of a lot more pleasureable on a GS bike with proper suspension. The road is graded once a month so is in pretty good shape. It gets a lot of tourist traffic in cars on a daily basis.

We stopped just after Fish Creek for a break and to take in the views:

FourPeaksFeb09110.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09113.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Seamus. Our Crazy Irishman guide on this trip:

FourPeaksFeb09111.jpg

beemerdons. And lots of rock.

FourPeaksFeb09115.jpg

Funny how Seamus would take in the natural beauty around him. Oh well. He's Irish. ;)

FourPeaksFeb09117.jpg

I think it's about 22 miles of dirt road. Heading east the Apache Trail ends at highway 188 and Roosevelt Lake. We headed northwest along 188 and the scenic Roosevelt Lake.

beemerdons never misses a meal :p , so it was lunctime:

FourPeaksFeb09122.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09120.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09121.jpg

BIG Geoff O thinking, "If that S.O.B. beemerdons flips me off one more time I am gonna kick his ass!"

FourPeaksFeb09123.jpg

After an excellent lunch it was time for the meat of the ride - Four Peaks. Two of our party decided to split and return via pavement, fearing those white covered peaks we would be riding towards might get a bit unfriendly. Hmmmmm......did these two know something we didn't???? The remaining five of us headed out for Four Peaks. Riding east to west, we hit El Oso Road and began the dirty climb up.

CLICKY for route.

Man this was fun! Scenic riding on the road less travelled.

On the way up:

FourPeaksFeb09124.jpg

GSJane's 09 F650GS with Roosevelt Lake in the background. This bike was a blast to ride on the gravel roads. Thanks Jane!

FourPeaksFeb09125.jpg

beemerdons: "I may be as ugly as a dog's butt, but I am retiring in a week!. Woo-hoo!!!"

FourPeaksFeb09126.jpg

Photo taken where I almost got stuck. I moved to the side of the road to let a car pass. TOO MUCH to the side of the road. Just a wee bit soft and the only progress I made was into the ditch on the side of the road . Thanks to my buddy El Pendejo Grande and his noisy grunting and pushing, I was able to get back on the road.

FourPeaksFeb09127.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09129.jpg

As we neared the top, we came around a corner on a north facing slope and encountered a bit of that white stuff on a 30 yard uphill grade.

FourPeaksFeb09133.jpg

There was a car that was unable to make it up. With no place to turn around, he was in trouble. Lucky for this young man and his girlfriend, some in our party helped push him up. I just watched and took photos. :D

FourPeaksFeb09135.jpg

Next we had to figure how we were going to get up. Turning back was not an option for us manly-old farts. A view of our predicament looking down the grade:

FourPeaksFeb09146.jpg

Well, Geoff and Seamus made it up with little fanfare or drama with their nice knobbie tires. Next up was the honorary oldest fart of the group, beemerdons. Due to his old age stature in the group, we assisted and pushed him up. You know what? Even with earplugs and my helmet on, I heard the S.O.B cackling like a hyena inside his helmet as we toiled to get him up the hill. I do believe that bastard was revving the engine but not engaging the clutch enjoying the 'free ride'.

Next up was Roger on his 1200GS. He decided to give it try on his lonesome thanks partly to my advice and encouragement. The result?

FourPeaksFeb09141.jpg

Sorry Roger. :(

Me? Well since it wasn't my bike :eek: , I decided on a solo attempt. Beginner's luck was with me and I made it up unscathed. At the top we took a break.

Big Geoff O on his classic R80GS. No. The bike isn't small. Geoff is a BIG guy. You don't see me insulting HIM in this little diatribe, do you? I might be dumb, but I ain't stooopid.

FourPeaksFeb09144.jpg

And here's that whacky Seamus checking out Arizona's beautiful scenerey in his own particular way again. Them Irish sure are strange!

FourPeaksFeb09145.jpg

On the way down the other side. beemerdons acting like the off-road expert now that the road is flat and smooth!

FourPeaksFeb09147.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09148.jpg

Taking a break for some water and telling of lies.

FourPeaksFeb09152.jpg

FourPeaksFeb09151.jpg

And then it happened. beemerdons saw a wild goat up in the hills and got all excited. In his frenzied state, he decided to inhale his water instead of swallowing it.

Shit. Everybody thought he was dying and going into convulsions or having a heart attack. The others rushed to his aid. I decided to take a picture. If he was gonna croak, I was gonna get a photo strictly for the entertainment value for you, dear reader.

FourPeaksFeb09150.jpg

But alas! beemerdons lives to ride another day!

A great ride down. We had about 4 or 5 water crossings, but all without drama.

FourPeaksFeb09154.jpg

And, the last stop before hitting the pavement and going our seperate ways. Four Peaks and our adventure behind us.

FourPeaksFeb09157.jpg

What a great day. One of those few special rides that stick in your memory forever. For me, I think of the ride to Cabo San Lucas, my first SaddleSore 1000 to Moscow, Id, for WFO-3. The ride on the Lolo Pass Hwy, Riding the Swiss alps with two great guys (One known around here as Stef :rolleyes: ), a crazy 24 hour ride called White Pine Fever, and of course the Iron Butt Rally. Well, now I can add the day I did my first dual-sport ride with a great bunch of guys enjoying Arizona's off-pavement splendor.

Good stuff.

The only problem is now I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want my own kool-aid GS bike. But I won't be affording one for a while. :(

LINK to all photos.

BTW, on a semi-related note, there is a local micro-brewery in Tempe, AZ that takes it's name from the primary destination of our ride - Four Peaks. Well, I am here to tell you that if you ever get a chance to try Four Peaks 'Kilt Lifter' Scottish Style Ale you will not regret it. Mmmmmmmm. More good stuff.

usa-four-peaks-kiltlifter.jpg

Great report there Skooter! :clapping:

Yeah...Mr Stanley is NOT looking too happy after that water episode. :blink: GLAD it turned out to be a minor affair. :clapping:

Very nice report. Thanks for sharing.

I am so looking forward to warmer weather. We bought a dirt bike for me and we're looking to get my husband one and I can't wait to ride in the woods and the dirt.

-Iris

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report and pictures! :yahoo: Makes me want to take the street tires off my V-Strom and go exploring -- somewhere warm.

Yeah...Mr Stanley is NOT looking too happy after that water episode. :blink: GLAD it turned out to be a minor affair. :clapping:
Mi amigo Wheatie: You know how Paul Harvey always says on his daily lunchtime radio show "And Now, For The Rest of The Story!"

I was carrying Greggie M's camera in my Vario top box on my GS to protect it from road shock and vibration by placing it on top of my lunch sack. One of those insulated bags you put your drinks and chow into along with ice packs for road stop snack.

Naturally, being from Phoenix, I had a container of salsa packed in there that got loose and spilled onto Skoot's digital camera.

As he lifts the camera from the box he screams: "What's this damn jizz on my camera?" My response: "It's smegma!" He then proceeds to lick, yes I said lick, his camera and announces to everyone: "Yep, that's smegma alright!" I defy anyone on this forum to not get water swallowed down the wrong windpipe after hearing that one; I didn't know whether to laugh or choke!!!

Mi amigo Wheatie: You know how Paul Harvey always says on his daily lunchtime radio show "And Now, For The Rest of The Story!"

I was carrying Greggie M's camera in my Vario top box on my GS to protect it from road shock and vibration by placing it on top of my lunch sack. One of those insulated bags you put your drinks and chow into along with ice packs for road stop snack.

Naturally, being from Phoenix, I had a container of salsa packed in there that got loose and spilled onto Skoot's digital camera.

As he lifts the camera from the box he screams: "What's this damn jizz on my camera?" My response: "It's smegma!" He then proceeds to lick, yes I said lick, his camera and announces to everyone: "Yep, that's smegma alright!" I defy anyone on this forum to not get water swallowed down the wrong windpipe after hearing that one; I didn't know whether to laugh or choke!!!
That explains it...just glad it wasn't a heart thing out in the middle of nowhere. Yep, you can count on any one of us to act totally inappropriately if there's any choice in the matter. Goes doubly true for Skooter-man, the raging Marbauch.

Funny how Seamus would take in the natural beauty around him. Oh well. He's Irish. ;)
FourPeaksFeb09117.jpg

Them Irish sure are strange!

FourPeaksFeb09145.jpg

(The Irish MUST stand at a drop-off to relieve themselves, - so it don't drag in the dirt. ;) )

Man, that looked like a nice ride and a great time. The people, the area, and the weather combined.

Bravo!
Quite Right, Old Michael! No use posting a picture of that pommie bastard SkooterG relieving himself: Just like a human penis, only very much smaller, is written on the walls of the Scottsdale dance halls about him by "Cougars" he flirts with!

Does not share Blessing of We From The Emerald Isle: Packing an Irish Shillelagh! Damn hard to be humble for we Irish!

Man, that looks like so much fun. I've really got DS lust.
+1 I'm thinking dual sports for me and my daughter next year and a trip to Baja! :yahoo:

Thanks for sharing the trip and pics... I'm envious of everything (especially peeing off the side of a cliff) except that snow part!! :blink:

I'm envious of everything (especially peeing off the side of a cliff) ...
I've actually only seen a woman pee of the side of a cliff once successfully, and that's because she was suspended in a climbing harness about 100ft up. And when you got to go, you got to go..! (And beware the updraft!) :eek:

Nice ride report, Skooter. So I take it you're now a fan of that 650GS..?