A Dual Sport Virgin No More

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice report Greg, and looks like an awesome day indeed. Welcome to the ranks of the DualSport desiring FJR owners.

Pssst, you might check the Craigs List for bargains on XR650Rs.

edit: Hmm, like This One

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually only seen a woman pee of the side of a cliff once successfully, and that's because she was suspended in a climbing harness about 100ft up.
worthless.gif

Mr. M- break from the koolAid and ride KTM. I bet even you, with novice eyes, noticed how bitchen that high fendered bitch ran all day long. You're still young enough and agile enough and most importantly, stoopid enough, to get lesser bikes thoroughly stuck/trashed/wasted. Trust me, the dirt bug is as serious and perhaps more dangerous than LD riding, even LDSR (long distance speed riding). The difference is, when you're on a single track trail, and you wad, or get the big old 1200GS pig stuck.. you're stuck or phooked. Sometimes both!

I'm just saying that given your IQ for going mental... You need the best dirt-oriented ride you can find that can handle the street too. The KTM Adventurer is right up your ally. I have an insane bud who can damn near keep up with me in the twisities on his when I'm on the FJR. Sure, I ain't no HaulinAshe, but then again I ain't no RadioHowie either! (had to pick on Howie, haven't heard from BrunDog for awhile).. :rolleyes:

oh, and besides, you really need to ride something other than your girl's bicycle.. just sayin.... :p :D :grin:

Thank you very much dcarver! I was going to have a commemorative T-shirt made up for SkooterG that reads "Yep, that's smegma alright!" on the front. But after reading your post I will move that profound statement of GregM to the shirt back.

On the front it is going to read "I'm just saying that given your IQ for going mental...dcarver quote" True Words of Wisdom!

Skoot on a KTM Adventure off roading? Jesu Cristo Donaldo: Why not just give him a box of hand grenades to play with!!!!!

Thank you very much dcarver! I was going to have a commemorative T-shirt made up for SkooterG that reads "Yep, that's smegma alright!" on the front. But after reading your post I will move that profound statement of GregM to the shirt back.
On the front it is going to read "I'm just saying that given your IQ for going mental...dcarver quote" True Words of Wisdom!

Skoot on a KTM Adventure off roading? Jesu Cristo Donaldo: Why not just give him a box of hand grenades to play with!!!!!

Hey his first ride on the Katoom should be on a very muddy road. It's lots of fun!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey his first ride on the Katoom should be on a very muddy road. It's lots of fun!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And you should know! :rofl:

And you should know! :rofl:
Yes, I'm definitely the expert on this!!! :blink: :blink: :yahoo: For all of you that haven't read this yet, here is my DS virgin fun ride: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...8&hl=katoom

Dang Scooter, I wanna go play in the dirt with you and your new friends. To get me a dual-sport I may have to get a job! :dribble:

PS. Does this mean I'm part Irish?

dennisfjr.jpg

Nice DS ride.

I recently got into the DS scene too. I went with a Honda XR650L a very capable DS...

which lends itself more to the off-road than the on-road. It's got monster ground clearance

and deep suspension travel.

I tend to get in over my head as I've been doing lots of sandy and rutted trails in the deserts

of SW New Mexico. I can't count the number of times I've dumped the bike. Last night I had

my first superman experience with it. Flying over the bars leaving the bike behind me. Little

bruising of my right knee...but me and the bike are fine.

If you're going to jump into the DS mode...the Honda XR650R is not dual sport...unless it's

been converted. The XR650L is DS from the factory and a hell of a bike.

Here's mine on the first adventure I took it out on...near Las Cruces, NM in the Organ Mtns.

XRL1.jpg

I'm impressed by how many of our FJR Forum have dual sport off road experience or are interested in doing off road Dual Sport riding!

When SkooterG mentions his trip to Cabo San Lucas on his FJR in his paragraphs above, that is one of the hundreds of rides into Mexico that I have led for my friends over the last 40 years. If there is enough interest I would be more than happy to organize an off road adventure for our FJR Forum to Baja California Norte y Sur or Barrancas del Cobre (Copper Canyon), Chihuahua, MEX.

A great Baja loop is down Sea of Cortez south of San Felipe staying in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga at Punta Final. Then on to Guerrero Negro on Mexico Ruta Uno (SkooterG can tell you all about G.N., he fell in love with Catia - the sixteen year old bar maid in Leo's Cantina there!) and from there down the West Side Highway with the a view of the Pacific Ocean waves for over 300 miles.

I have also ridden my BMW R1100GS and my Kawasaki KLR 650 extensively in Utah, if that would be a preferred DS FJR Forum destination.

I have a support vehicle that I would make available for our group DS ride which would enable me to bring along my twelve year old son Seth. Our Jeep Liberty 4WD Diesel SUV could carry spare gear, gas, tires and any other equipment that we'd need.

I've a bumper hitch rack carrier for my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, all I'd ask is that occasionally another rider would spell me at driving Seth and the Jeep, so I also could get in some off road riding time. Jeep can also pack all our camping gear and food.

If there is enough interest in this, my 61st Birthday is October 28 and a Mexico or Utah Dual Sport trip would be a really great celebration!

...If there is enough interest I would be more than happy to organize an off road adventure for our FJR Forum to Baja California Norte y Sur or Barrancas del Cobre (Copper Canyon), Chihuahua, MEX....
...A great Baja loop is down Sea of Cortez south of San Felipe ....

...I have also ridden my BMW R1100GS and my Kawasaki KLR 650 extensively in Utah, if that would be a preferred DS FJR Forum destination.

...I have a support vehicle .....

...I've a bumper hitch rack carrier ...

...If there is enough interest in this, my 61st Birthday is October 28 and a Mexico or Utah Dual Sport trip would be a really great celebration!
What an incredibly generous and enticing offer! I'd think anyone with a DS would jump all over this and start cooking up a way to take advantage or your magnanimousness...ess....nous. Hellofanoffer! Good show beemerdons.

My Fine Irish Friend: Old Michael, I was going to ask SkooterG to go along with me on this trip as a co-driver since he does not currently own a dual sport and since the money to obtain a DS would require him to have a job; he will not have a DS!!

We'd exchange time on my GS versus driving son Seth in the Jeep. But if Skoot declines, or the horror of it all that he actually busts loose and gains employment, you'd be the next person I would ask along for this Baja, Mexico or Utah trip.

I ask forgiveness for dredging up an old thread, but I did not see it the first go-round. I found it while searching for another thread. It is a beut of a report.

Gorgeous scenery! Skooter, it is obvious how helpful you were to your other adventurers. :rolleyes:

I've never been to Arizona, but I look forward to it. Thanks for the report, and when/if you do another, please type up a ride report for the cabin fever crowd.

Don, I have great respect for anybodyy who can put up with a smegma lover. You looked good up on the pegs too -- ignore Greg, he's just jealous that you can pee off a cliff and he has to sit down to go.

Again, great looking ride.

Invitation to ShinyPartsUp & Forum DS Riders: AZ Beemers puts on two off road rides a month, welcome to join our DS treks!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...icseen#msg16619 Saturday, January 2nd we're riding our GS's and KLR's over track past Picture Mountain to Young. I'm buying a rear Dunlop D606 just for this ride! Then save it for our Mexico C.C. ride!

Nice shots, Skoot! Looks like an awesome place to ride for a DS. Not sure that the 1200 with "smooth" tires was the way to go on the snow, but hey, ya gotta ride what ya brought! As an aside, the Metzler Z6's SUCKon the FJR in the snow! Had my own 50ft adventure ride just putting the pig in the stable a few weeks back! Glad I didn't have to take any pics of her in the "Resting position" to document the ride in the reports section!

Invitation to ShinyPartsUp & Forum DS Riders: AZ Beemers puts on two off road rides a month, welcome to join our DS treks!
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...icseen#msg16619 Saturday, January 2nd we're riding our GS's and KLR's over track past Picture Mountain to Young. I'm buying a rear Dunlop D606 just for this ride! Then save it for our Mexico C.C. ride!
An open invitation... If the stars align you might see me thumping down the road in 2010. And I mean before November.

hope you like the Dunlop.