A few farkle questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
A clarification and then an opinion request....

I have a Techmount for replacing the stem nut. It's a 36mm socket, I need to tape the nut to avoid damage and then torque Techmount to 85 ft-lbs. Is it that simple or is there anything else I need to be aware of when I take off the stem nut to install the Techmount?

I plan on running power directly from the battery to power whatever I mount on the Techmount but not sure what type of connection would be best, SAE or powerlet. Most electronics come with a connector that plugs into a cig lighter, but that won't fit a powerlet outlet will it? I'm assuming I can find a powerlet or SAE cable to run from the battery to the Techmount, (any links?) just unsure which type would be easiest to work with.

Thanks.

I tried a Kuryaken cigarette lighter to power my GPS but the vibration was too much and the adapter would vibrate out. I finally hard wired my GPS.

Got a battery tender? Use the hook up for that and kill two birds with one stone. I tuck the lead in the frame behind the steering head when not in use. You can get a short sae to whatever adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a battery tender? Use the hook up for that and kill two birds with one stone. I tuck the lead in the frame behind the steering head when not in use. You can get a short sae to whatever adapter.
I guess this is kind of what I was getting at. I do have a battery tender and it's tucked in behind the plastic on the battery side. I was planning on running another one for the Techmount, right off of the battery, but wasn't sure what type of plug adapters were readily available, the battery tender type (SAE) or the powerlet, which is why I was asking which would be best to run just for the Techmount. I'll need an adapter from a cig lighter plug to SAE or powerlet. Sounds like a personal preference type of thing.

Other than the tape, which I had planned on, is the process just unscrew the stem nut and then torque on the Techmount? Nothing underneath the stem nut I need to be concerned with?

Thanks.

Drew,

If you haven't gotten the 36mm socket yet, you may want to consider getting a 6 point socket instead of a 12 point. Although some have had good success with 12's, the 6 point puts more pressure on the right surfaces and reduces the chances of rounding the Techmount. 85 ft. pounds is a lot of torque to apply.

Bob

Believe it or not, I've got a 6-pt, picked it up years ago to work on a '72 Baja Bug, just can't remember what it was used for though.

I guess this is kind of what I was getting at. I do have a battery tender and it's tucked in behind the plastic on the battery side. I was planning on running another one for the Techmount, right off of the battery, but wasn't sure what type of plug adapters were readily available, the battery tender type (SAE) or the powerlet, which is why I was asking which would be best to run just for the Techmount. I'll need an adapter from a cig lighter plug to SAE or powerlet. Sounds like a personal preference type of thing.

Other than the tape, which I had planned on, is the process just unscrew the stem nut and then torque on the Techmount? Nothing underneath the stem nut I need to be concerned with?

Thanks.
i removed my Stem Nut about 1 month ago to install my Gen Mar risers. if you have the 36 mm socket and torque wrench, then the process is simple and safe. There is nothing to worry about under the stem nut. But do consider protecting you gas tank by placing a blanket or thick towel over it. One slight slip with the wrench ... and you'll have a scratch or a dent somewhere. But relax and take your time ... it is quite easy.

I am considering getting a Ramrod (I think that is what it is called) from Winpro when I get a GPS. It gets mounted on the two bolts immediately in front of the gas tank and thus the GPS will not turn with the handle bars. I think that might be nice! Comments?

Rheal