A funny thing. . . . (HD Switching Buddies)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota

Reaction score
I’m 65 and ride a ’04 FJR. I have been riding since I was 14 and all of my lifelong riding buddies have either quit riding or switched to HD or Victory. These last people, the Switchers, back in the day all rode the equivalent of my ride, a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E. Now the Switchers want me to switch as well. They seem to feel sorry for me that I am depriving myself of true riding Nirvana. It’s not condescendence; it’s more like sympathy and genuine concern. As for me, the phenomenon that is HD will always be one of life’s greatest mysteries, right up there with UFO’s, the Pyramids and Stonehenge.

As much as we enjoy joking about other bikes, in particular cruisers and BMWs, the bike you ride is a personal decision and based a great deal on how you use your motorcycle and what you expect from it. Even though the FJR is the perfect bike for me, I still lust after several other motorcycles of various types and purposes.

So, I say, whatever your friends like is fine for them. If you think you might be missing out on something by not riding a HD or Victory then try one out. I've ridden a couple of Harleys and a big Yamaha (now Star) cruiser. Frankly, none of them are for me, but I much preferred the Yamaha to the HDs for comfort and power.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as we enjoy joking about other bikes, in particular cruisers and BMWs, the bike you ride is a personal decision and based a great deal on how you use your motorcycle and what you expect from it. Even though the FJR is the perfect bike for me, I still lust after several other motorcycles of various types and purposes.
So, I say, whatever your friends like is fine for them. If you think you might be missing out on something by not riding a HD or Victory then try one out. I've ridden a couple of Harleys and a big Yamaha (now Star) cruiser. Frankly, none of them are for me, but I much preferred the Yamaha to the HDs for comfort and power.
Couldn't have said it better.

I’m 65 and ride a ’04 FJR. I have been riding since I was 14 and all of my lifelong riding buddies have either quit riding or switched to HD or Victory. These last people, the Switchers, back in the day all rode the equivalent of my ride, a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E. Now the Switchers want me to switch as well. They seem to feel sorry for me that I am depriving myself of true riding Nirvana. It’s not condescendence; it’s more like sympathy and genuine concern. As for me, the phenomenon that is HD will always be one of life’s greatest mysteries, right up there with UFO’s, the Pyramids and Stonehenge.
They are probably embarrassed to have you park next to their bikes and thus don't invite you to go barhopping. They miss your company.

Peer pressure. Pffft.

Strange, usually people get smarter with age!
laugh.png

Also, when a lot of folks get older they like lighter bikes.....surprised they are choosing HEAVY HD's.

Perhaps these other riders are onto something. Maybe all that vibration stimulates the fluid in their joints and relieves arthritis pain.....
Once knew a girl that got very pleasurable sensations on the back of a hardtail HD chopper.

When I hear things like this, I always wonder if there is any other area of their lives where they would be amenable to you suggesting they should change their ways.

Harley Davidson is not really a mystery ... HD is a triumph of marketing and government assistance. What makes me smile is that so many who ride Harleys would baulk at the very idea that government welfare should even exist.

Irony ... gets me every time :D

My Dad is almost 69 and loves his FJR. He is most definitely not going to switch to a Harley.

We believe that the superior brakes, power, and handling are a compensation for his aging reflexes. Having that extra performance on tap just in case he should need it is a huge safety net. Others may view that differently but he still rides pretty well for an old guy. He also looks pretty bad-ass riding that FJR in the company of younger riders.

Dakota, count yourself lucky to have had riding buddies for so long and that are most likely genuinely concerned for you. Even if their concern is a bit misguided.

Over coffee or lunch sometime tell them you are fine with your choice of bike and are happy they enjoy their bikes. Funny you should mention the 78 GS1000E as that was my 3rd street bike and keep it for 8 years. After selling that bike I did not ride again for many years, long story. When I started riding again in 2005 I knew it was going to be an HD this time. Well I did wind up riding a couple cruisers over the next five years but they they both had tuning forks on them. Thing is I was never comfortable no matter which seat or bars I tried. Then one day I happen to to sit on an FJR at the dealership. Damn it reminded me of the 1978 Suzuki GS1000E. Well my affair with the FJR has lasted 4 plus years now and the reason is it works for me on many levels. Comfort, power, looks and function to name a few. I actually lost some riding buddies when I switched. Really after the first turn I never saw them again.
winksmiley02.gif

The ZsDad,
Yeah I had a love/hate relationship with the GS1000E. I couldn't keep stators in it. Had one go out on me in Kanab, Utah in 1979 on a trip from NoDak to the Grand Canyon. But, when it was running it was the best until the FJR. I had the GS for 10 years, though after 4 it became my 2nd ride in favor of a '83 Gold Wing. In the end I wound up selling the GW a year before the GS, so it became my primary ride again for a while. Then like you I didn't ride for a while. I wish I could get those idle years back. Oh well...

Fortunately, my closest riding buddies are the ones I got started in motorcycling in the first place back in the 1960s. As a result, they all have SOTA sport touring motorcycles.

It's all good!

Dan

Slightly similar story here. 62 now, riding since I was 13 or 14. First real street bike was a'69 BSA Thunderbolt that I foolishly chopped, chromed, molded and put struts in because I couldn't afford an HD like all my riding friends, but I did ride and covet all manner of HD back then. I became a convert to Ricer Inline 4s with a '75 Kawasaki Z-1 900, but that bike would scare shit out of me mid corner.

So in '79, I bought a new '78 GS1000EC in the box and soon put a Vetter Windjammer on it. I loved that bike until it got traded for tractor work in late '87. Having converted that separate property asset to community property, the ex never permitted its replacement. Months after her mutually agreed departure years later, I bought my first (of 2) Honda Blackbirds (CBR 1100XX). Bought my '05 FJR new in 2005 with the encouragement of my then GF.

I've learned a few things over the years. I don't enjoy untamed 2 cylinder vibration. I can't get the time back, so I don't regret the years of riding my ex cost me. The FJR is the best bike I've ever ridden, finally replacing the total feel good I had with the GS. And there is no way I'd trade the FJR for a cruiser, no matter what friends or S.O. think. I can't imagine me ever riding to bars again, either - that's 40 years in the rear view mirror.

I am pushing 69 years of age. I started riding when I was 17 years old.

I have had several motorcycles over the years, sometimes 5 at a time.

Settling down in my old age I am down to 2 motorcycles, the FJR and the HD Roadking.

I left Boise Idaho last friday and 602 miles later in the day I arrived in Bishop Ca. to spend the night.

The next morning I departed for Palm Springs and arrived in early afternoon, a 920 mile ride all together.

I very much enjoyed the trip on the Roadking as I have on several trips down here. I also enjoy the same ride on the FJR.

I am still of the belief that a man should have 2 of everything. The FJR and the HD Roadking fit the bill for me.

As for me, I don't care what you ride or how many rides you have. Just ride what you have and enjoy the sport.

A man should always have two. One is too close to none!
For the most part I will agree with this.

A man should always have two of certain things. A very incomplete list of examples: Arms, legs, lungs, kidneys, testicles... At least two motorcycles, boats, weapons, backup plans and certainly at least two motors on every offshore fishing boat.

I will even say two girlfriends is not a bad thing, especially if they know they are in competition. Wives however? One is almost too much. One wife is actually not close enough to none.
uhoh.gif