A Gen I Hater's Ride Impressions of the 2013 FJR1300......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good write up and feedback, thanks. Curious how accurate the fuel gauge is? Is it blinking reserve at 170 miles or can you actually use most of the bleeding tank without something blinking at you. Pet peeve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superb review (wait, no, I can't say that, it'll go straight to his head! Damn, too effin' late!).

Ahem,

anyway your detailed review convinced me to sit tight with my '09 (with helibars and adjusted suspension) and enjoy the ride and not be jealous.

My thanks for peace of mind.
punk.gif

Good write-up Greg. I don’t believe mentioned that you did or didn’t like the gear indicator on the screen, especially since so many didn’t like it because it is distracting. I have a cure for them! They could copy the pic of you in your skirt; reduce it to postage stamp size & past it over the gear indicator. After looking at it once, they would never look down at it again! What do you think? Good idea? Later,,,De
smile.png

Yeah... much as it pains me, I have to agree: That was a pretty darned good, relatively objective, review of the 2013.
And it is incredibly interesting how much you perceived that the handling varies between the BigDon's bike and the demo trash.
It doesn't pain me to agree that this was a really good review of the 2013, especially since he used a low mileage GEN2 as a baseline. His comments about the demo's handling was a surprise and it certainly does make one wonder what the moto journalists are being provided with to test. I have a C14 sitting next to my FJR for the last 5 years and the road tests of that bike have been all over the map. You can read the first "shootout" between the FJR, C14, and ST1300 at www.motorcycle.com. It appears they got a FJR that was dialed in....and it also had a pretty good dyno curve.
I can't speak for the other guys, but at Motorcyclist we make sure we head out on recommended tire pressures and baseline suspension settings. The way we receive some bikes is really quite interesting...some are not even close to the baseline spec. Some, we find, arrive at a setting that we eventually migrate back to, but some are at the far other end. If we're going on a long evaluation, we'll make sure we leave on fresh tires as well. In our case, the FJR and Trophy SE came to us fresh before our big sport-tour, while the Connie and BMW had a few miles in the fleet; both of them showed little to no tire wear. (Incidentally, our FJR's rear tire was pretty squared off by the end of the 2200-mile tour. I asked the Bridgestone guys at Indy if there was a funny spec on the BT-023 for Yamaha, but either they didn't know or wouldn't say.)

I have noticed quite a bit of bike-to-bike variation in Connies over the years. Our '13 bike eluded our efforts to find a good all-around setup. If I hadn't seen this variation before, I'd have thought we had a "bad one." But I've ridden C14s that were really good on the stock suspension. I've also ridden the C14 with a 190/55 rear tire, and it's a different motorcycle. Why Kawasaki fits the /50 is beyond me.

I really don't believe our testbikes are fettled in any significant way--though it's long been rumored that certain manufacturers test a group of bikes on the dyno and hand out only the top performers from that group. i've also heard, from someone who knows, that the variation from best to worst is very small.

So, bottom line: I think our testbikes are representative, but they're certainly not the demo-fleet beaters.

I can't speak for the other guys, but at Motorcyclist we make sure we head out on recommended tire pressures and baseline suspension settings. The way we receive some bikes is really quite interesting...some are not even close to the baseline spec. Some, we find, arrive at a setting that we eventually migrate back to, but some are at the far other end. If we're going on a long evaluation, we'll make sure we leave on fresh tires as well. In our case, the FJR and Trophy SE came to us fresh before our big sport-tour, while the Connie and BMW had a few miles in the fleet; both of them showed little to no tire wear. (Incidentally, our FJR's rear tire was pretty squared off by the end of the 2200-mile tour. I asked the Bridgestone guys at Indy if there was a funny spec on the BT-023 for Yamaha, but either they didn't know or wouldn't say.)
I have noticed quite a bit of bike-to-bike variation in Connies over the years. Our '13 bike eluded our efforts to find a good all-around setup. If I hadn't seen this variation before, I'd have thought we had a "bad one." But I've ridden C14s that were really good on the stock suspension. I've also ridden the C14 with a 190/55 rear tire, and it's a different motorcycle. Why Kawasaki fits the /50 is beyond me.

I really don't believe our testbikes are fettled in any significant way--though it's long been rumored that certain manufacturers test a group of bikes on the dyno and hand out only the top performers from that group. i've also heard, from someone who knows, that the variation from best to worst is very small.

So, bottom line: I think our testbikes are representative, but they're certainly not the demo-fleet beaters.
WOW, the editor-in-chief is reading this forum and responding to our comments. I missed your forum introduction but am now looking forward to your evaluation of the 2013 FJR with upgraded suspension, I think you are going to find it will be a very different bike. However, to be fair, you should also compare it to a C14 with upgraded suspension, something that I do every time I ride my FJR and C14 back to back.

And yes, Kawasaki has probably lost a lot of sales because of the cheap OEM tires, the C14 is a different bike with premium tires even if the rear is a 190/50.

mcook, as in Marc Cook? Current editor of Motorcyclist magazine?

Answering my own question (by looking at your new member introduction, which I previously missed): Yes it is.

Welcome to the forum, Marc!

Hearing the inside info on what happens at these bike tests is insightful. As many of us suspected, the condiition of the bikes when they arrive has to influence the outcome of the test.

I'm a subscriber to your monthly, and have been for quite a while. I just wanted to let you know that I am appreciating the change in tenor at the magazine since you recently took over. I think maybe the last editor was more concerned with impressing readers than in giving fair commentary. Perhaps he was just a bit stale and overdue to move on? Either way, please keep up the good work!

Thanks, Fred. I won't hijack the topic, but will quickly say each editor has his own set of interests and natural tone. I'm not in love with celebrity, for example. I also think the magazine should cover a wide range of motorcycles. So, you'll see STs, nakeds, cruisers and dual-sports in addition to pure sportbikes and exotica. I'm a pan-enthusiast, and our demographic research says our key readers are as well.

For the record, I'm an FJR fan. Back when the bike first came to America, I wrote the road test for Motorcyclist and, IIRC, also did the FJR-vs-ST1300 comparo. I was pleased to notice that the things the FJR always did well remain in the new bike, only with more sophistication.

Our '13 testbike is in the shop right now, waiting for a shock. I've been itching to get it back on the road, but Daytona got in the way for a couple of vendors. Oh, yeah: We should be getting a new V Stream windshield for the bike and Sargent is sending us a seat with some new foam technologies to try on the bike. I want to keep this project simple, fix only the items that need fixing.

Last thing: I've heard there is a workaround for the cruise-control limit. Supposedly a matter of wiring. I'll let you guys know what I find.

As many of us suspected, the condition of the bikes when they arrive has to influence the outcome of the test.
On second read, I should respond to this. If by "condition" you mean the setup, then no; we go back and make sure we start from the baseline. If you are referring to the bike-to-bike variations, then it's yes. Though if we have a bike we feel is outside the normal scatter, we'll either send it back to have it evaluated or ask for a different test bike. That doesn't happen very often.

The manufacturers are generally very good. They ride every testbike before delivery so the odds of us getting a truly sick one are pretty low.

--Marc

As many of us suspected, the condition of the bikes when they arrive has to influence the outcome of the test.
On second read, I should respond to this. If by "condition" you mean the setup, then no; we go back and make sure we start from the baseline. If you are referring to the bike-to-bike variations, then it's yes. Though if we have a bike we feel is outside the normal scatter, we'll either send it back to have it evaluated or ask for a different test bike. That doesn't happen very often.

The manufacturers are generally very good. They ride every testbike before delivery so the odds of us getting a truly sick one are pretty low.

--Marc
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if all publications are as conscientious about setup? My hope was that this was part of explaining how varied the responses are to a particular bike, both over time and across magazines. I suppose a lot has to do with individual tastes. It's got to be almost impossible to take subjectivity out of the equation.

Looking forward to reading more from you both here and at MC.

It's no secret. Traxxion Dynamics did the fork, and we've ordered an Ohlins for the shock. The shock's a bit "off the rack," but it'll be a good data point.

What I would like to do is get the collective experience of the group here on other shocks and services. I will research the board before I ask any pointed questions, but feel free to PM me with any input you'd like to give.

To be honest, I haven't taken apart the stock items we got back from Traxxion. I did look in the bag and saw two cartridges, but I don't know if the left one has anything in it. Bikes like the FZ8 and Versys have damping in one leg only; I'd like to know Yamaha's tactics with the '13 bike before we get too far along with this project.

--Marc

<snip> What I would like to do is get the collective experience of the group here on other shocks and services. I will research the board before I ask any pointed questions, but feel free to PM me with any input you'd like to give.

--Marc
GP Suspension (now KFG Racing, Auburn WA) has been a staunch supporter of the FJR for quite a few years. With their fork internals and matched springs the FJR is a transformed machine. GP fitted forks with a Penske shock is another set-up you should definitely consider.

Looking forward to hearing more developments on your test FJR!

--G

so you guys do your own work there?
R
Absolutely. Our main shop, space we share with Hot Rod, Car Craft and a bunch of other four-wheel titles, is set up to do most maintenance. In my own shop, I have tools to do most kinds of fork and shock work--I just have to take the shocks out to have the nitrogen refilled. Spent a few bucks over the years for specialized tools.

Working on bikes is fun. Plus, how can we rate the installation if we hand it off to someone else?

Great writeup Scoot. I was wondering if that the better air behind the new window is the result of the larger hole at the base of the windshield? And if so could rain enter in to the rider area? Just a thought. Painman.

....I did look in the bag and saw two cartridges, but I don't know if the left one has anything in it. Bikes like the FZ8 and Versys have damping in one leg only; I'd like to know Yamaha's tactics with the '13 bike before we get too far along with this project.
--Marc
The Yamaha website has the exploded view of the fork and it looks like each leg has a cartridge but only the right leg has the adjuster.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/FJR_1300A_-_FJR13ADG_-_2013/FRONT_FORK/FJR13ADG_%282013_MOTORCYCLE%29/FRONT_FORK_%28FJR13ADG_-_2013%29

Thanks, Fred. I won't hijack the topic, but will quickly say each editor has his own set of interests and natural tone. I'm not in love with celebrity, for example. I also think the magazine should cover a wide range of motorcycles. So, you'll see STs, nakeds, cruisers and dual-sports in addition to pure sportbikes and exotica. I'm a pan-enthusiast, and our demographic research says our key readers are as well.
For the record, I'm an FJR fan. Back when the bike first came to America, I wrote the road test for Motorcyclist and, IIRC, also did the FJR-vs-ST1300 comparo. I was pleased to notice that the things the FJR always did well remain in the new bike, only with more sophistication.

Our '13 testbike is in the shop right now, waiting for a shock. I've been itching to get it back on the road, but Daytona got in the way for a couple of vendors. Oh, yeah: We should be getting a new V Stream windshield for the bike and Sargent is sending us a seat with some new foam technologies to try on the bike. I want to keep this project simple, fix only the items that need fixing.

Last thing: I've heard there is a workaround for the cruise-control limit. Supposedly a matter of wiring. I'll let you guys know what I find.
I'm thinking that I'm gonna be a new subscriber to Motorcyclist...

EDIT: oops, to stay on topic, I am a Gen 1 hater as well, looking to jump to a Gen 3 in the near future (Geologically speaking).

Last edited by a moderator: