A or AE? That is the question.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand lever with the + and by pushing the + level out (I use this method)
Can you explain this buddy?

And for the 3rd time, where is the link to the 'special' AE features? Don't intend to use any abusive (to a new machine) methods when I test ride the bike, but would like to know. It was for speedshifts and other things. Thanks.

JC
Could not get the photos to show correctly, so I had to link them.

Here is a + to shift up, you can reach this with your index finger.

Link

Here is a - to down shift, you can reach this with your thumb.

Link

Here is another view

Link

I do NOT use my thumb when shifting. I use my index finger to push or pull the + side of the lever. I find this to be the most comfortable.

Link

Hope this helps.

I am not sure there is a link to special AE features. Atleast, I am not aware of it.

QUOTE(ELP_JC @ Jun 12 2007, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for the 3rd time, where is the link to the 'special' AE features? Don't intend to use any abusive (to a new machine) methods when I test ride the bike, but would like to know. It was for speedshifts and other things. Thanks.

JC

One link here, another here. There may be others ...

This is a quote from a previous post of mine:

It took me quite a while to get used to my 1300AS (as we call the AE this side of the pond).

Suggestions:

-- Start it in gear (side stand up, brake on). There's a slight pull as the clutch disengages, but no clunk. I rarely put mine into neutral (only for pushing when the engine's stopped).

-- Use the finger paddle to change gear, I use just the forefinger to pull or push away the front part of the lever, I don't use the thumb part. I find it is much more precise on timing when you ...

-- ... Momentarily dip the throttle on up changes. You only need to dip it a fraction, and only for the shortest time as you flip the lever. You can get very smooth changes doing this.

-- Down changes when slowing I usually do on a trailing throttle, but if needing to (going up a hill, or wanting that extra overtaking acceleration), again, just dip the throttle momentarily to take the drive off the gearbox.

-- I find up-changes much smoother at higher revs. My horrible city traffic-bound commute make this difficult when trickling, but it does help for a smooth shift on the open road.

I know there are many different opinions on the "best" way to use the electric shift, I'm not saying mine is better than anyone else's way, but this is what works for me, and may help you with yours.

Persevere with it, it will eventually come as second nature.

Some more of my early thoughts on this bike are here:

https://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/do/fjr.php

Good luck!

As a follow-up, the more I use it, the more natural it becomes. My only concern is the very slow-speed manouvers where I want to control the speed on the rear brake, but I also want my feet able to go down! Just a lack of confidence on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to press the button by the "Hand Shift +" label right after you start the bike. You'll see a green indicator light come on. This will activate the rocker switch to shift gears at the handgrip.

That was my first mistake as I feverishly tried to change gears on a pullout - and found myself at 40MPH in 1st...and now that's the first thing I do after starting.

Be sure to press the button by the "Hand Shift +" label right after you start the bike. You'll see a green indicator light come on. This will activate the rocker switch to shift gears at the handgrip.
That was my first mistake as I feverishly tried to change gears on a pullout - and found myself at 40MPH in 1st...and now that's the first thing I do after starting.

i dont have to remember to turn the AE system on. mine has been modified so that it defaults to hand shift at ignition

turn on.

jason

i dont have to remember to turn the AE system on. mine has been modified so that it defaults to hand shift at ignition

turn on.

jason
+1. I offer a simple device for this. PM me for details.

+1. I offer a simple device for this. PM me for details.
I'd be all over that if I get the AE. Good to know where to get it.

Hey, and how about letting that 'glove' box compartment open when you want? Should be simple enough, no? Thx.

Mcatrophy: thanks a lot for those links man. They were great. I replied to one of them asking what's the prodecure to downshift to 1st when hung in 5th (or other high gear) while stopped, like what'd happen in a panic stop.

Toecutter, also thanks for that link. That's exactly what I want if I decide on the A, but it's about $3K too expensive (including shipping or travel expenses). I can get a 0-mile one 5 miles from home for $11,900, and already found a 'donor' to swap panels with. Plus I'd only buy throttlemeisters and sliders of all the 'farkle'. But it was a great find, so keep them coming. I'll be making a decision as soon as I test ride them... if at all. No other dealer around has them in stock. And still haven't received the call from them. Will keep you posted.

JC

Last edited by a moderator: