A Simple Accessory Shelf

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I got this radar detector recently and I was also trying to use a second GPS during rallys last year. I realized I was going to have a real problem placing all this crap stuff on the bike in a usable fashion. I know someone on this forum used to make a shelf for the Gen I but no longer does, and I could have put out an APB out for a used one, but I tend to be a bit of a tight wad at times.

One problem with making one for yourself though, is it helps tremendously if you've had an opportunity to look at what someone else has already done to get some ideas. I never bothered to look at one up close, because at the time i had thought there was no way I was ever going to put so much stuff on my bike. Well that tends to change over time.

The steering nut is the primary connection point. After a brief test ride it was obvious that that wasn't going to be enough, and I suspected that was going to be the case too. But nothing like a little bike ride to get the creative juices to flow. So it came to me at about mile 15 that I was going to have use the reservoir covers somehow to remedy this shakey situation.

The brackets on the covers are easily removable so if I ever need to remove the the reservoir covers at all I wouldn't need to remove the whole shelf. The brackets are just velcro'd on top of the covers. I had picked up a pan break a couple years ago when I fabbed up my aux fuel cell, so that made bending the 1/8" aluminum I used pretty easy.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

The next ride into work I realized I may need to do something about managing the wires for my gizmos for when they're not in use.

IMG_0769.jpg

Sent this picture to one of my sons and he comments "aren't you supposed to keep your eyes on the road and not on the entertainment system?" Thought that was classic.

I think there should be enough room up there for what I'll be using.

IMG_0766.jpg

Nice design. If you find the velcro isn't up to the job, you can also get that 'dual-lock' tape, similar to what the Cee Baily headlight shields and the laminar lip windshield accessory use. I've used some to hold my cell phone onto a ramball mount.

I have one of the shelves that were made for the Gen 1. I used it during the Colorado Rally last July and it caused problems.

The main issue is that the area over the instruments is simply too low and too far away. You have to take your eyes off the road and re-focus to get a good look at the info, and that wasn't working for me. I want the stuff just below my eyeline and fairly close. I found that to e the easiest way to get the info I want with minimum distraction.

I have come up with a different solution, but your shelf looks to have mounting spots higher and closer than the original shelves. Neat design, good luck with it.

Nice job with the shelf. I have one on my '05 that was sold by someone for the gen 1, but I don't remember who it was. It has less robust mount points, but also has a mount point in the front so it is stable.

Does your flex under the weight of the devices?

I would not trust velcro to keep those devices on the shelf on a bumpy road. I almost lost a radar detector that way.

Very nice work,

I couple of holes in each bracket some longer reservoir screws and O-rings and your good to go. What do you do with 3 GPS's?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job with the shelf. I have one on my '05 that was sold by someone for the gen 1, but I don't remember who it was. It has less robust mount points, but also has a mount point in the front so it is stable.
Does your flex under the weight of the devices?

I would not trust velcro to keep those devices on the shelf on a bumpy road. I almost lost a radar detector that way.
As of yet I haven't ridden with all devices on the shelf, but the shelf does seem to be sturdy enough. I'll see how the whole season of riding treats it. I am not too concerned about the velcro at the brackets as all the force there will be lateral, but we'll see. If it begins to lose it's effectiveness I may just go the dual lock tape by 3M as bluesdog suggested, as a matter of fact my wife thought the same thing. Currently the RD will be the only thing on velcro, but I think that'll get changed to that dual lock tape in short order.

Very nice work,
I couple of holes in each bracket some longer reservoir screws and O-rings and your good to go. What do you do with 3 GPS's?

Dave
I used to think what does someone need with 2 GPSs on their bike. Last years BL7 I used 2 and am glad I did. The Zumo is a recent acquisition from a brother of mine, so that and the Nuvi in the aqua box will be my primary GPSs, the second Nuvi will be a back-up.

>1 GPS is beneficial for rallys mostly.

Edit: as far as the screws through the brackets and into the reservoirs directly, I didn't want to go that route mostly because that would transfer unneccessary load and shock from the shelf bouncing around to the reservoirs and their mounts. I like the "looser" connection that the velcro offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaker can Craig, and I was maybe a little too anxious to get it done and not allowed enough time between coats.

At some point functionality trumps aesthetics. I really do need to find an outfit in this area who does powdercoating.

This is really nice. Good work. If you ever start producing these, my 09 would love it.
I'll have to see if one of the guys at my upcoming tech day will let me check for fit on his Gen 2.

If it does I'll let you know. Would be nice to see how it works for you at the Big Sky Rally.