A walk in the hood

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
I've since relocated to York, PA and am currently an alternative ed middle school teacher for the inner city. After seeing the photo collection of Frisco (aka San Fransisco), I thought I'd pass along a bit of my world during 'a walk in the park'.

Picture116.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture119.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture122.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Picture124.jpg

Picture127.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture134.jpg

And here's where I work:

Picture138.jpg

And my trusty steed:

Picture140.jpg

Working in the inner city has been an eye opener. The poverty and what people are willing to live without is really amazing. As if these people have no inner drive, no desire to become more. Rather they seem content (by no means are they happy) to just survive. And survive on the shirt-tales of our success. They truly think the common tax payer owes them.

Ironically, I enjoy working with at-risk kids. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been through downtown York several times (and was almost relocated to the area back in the 90s) but ... funny ... I never thought of it as "inner city." :huh:

Still ... I hear what you're saying about the attitude. It's very sad to see people who have no hope.

(BTW - I love the obligatory FJR pic! )

I've been through downtown York several times (and was almost relocated to the area back in the 90s) but ... funny ... I never thought of it as "inner city." :huh:
Still ... I hear what you're saying about the attitude. It's very sad to see people who have no hope.

(BTW - I love the obligatory FJR pic! )
Well, you have York City, then there is the inner city that is around Pine, Parkway, Princess and Duke Street area. It is the 'inner city' primarily due to its delapitated drug infested and gang driven locality.

Working in the inner city has been an eye opener. The poverty and what people are willing to live without is really amazing. As if these people have no inner drive, no desire to become more. Rather they seem content (by no means are they happy) to just survive. And survive on the shirt-tales of our success. They truly think the common tax payer owes them.

I'm sure that you are very inspiring to those kids <_<

I was one of those kids, only in Boston. That attitude is narrow-minded and sad.

Just my prejudice of course.

Oh yeah, just so it doesn't become political -- I like your feejer. Now THAT would inspire a kid to be a success!

I'm sure that you are very inspiring to those kids <_<

I was one of those kids, only in Boston. That attitude is narrow-minded and sad.

Just my prejudice of course.

Oh yeah, just so it doesn't become political -- I like your feejer. Now THAT would inspire a kid to be a success!
I too was riased on the other side of the proverbial tracks. Learning disabilities, drugs, gangs, rock-n-roll; kicked out of school, spent time in jail, lived on the streets for several years...been there and done that! I'm quite familiar with the mentality. The difference is, I caught a wiff of my dream later in life and chased it. My goal is to get students to re-discover and chase their dreams before they follow their parents foot steps. It's bad when parents see that, then curse you out for trying to help. Moreover, most parents are absentee parents. They shove there darling teenagers out the car door and are gone before the kid sets foot on the sidewalk. As such, they only want the free 'babysitting' and think the 'system' will only take from them. They are purposely difficult to get a hold of as they are known to frequently change their phone numbers and fail to tell us. But, It's not all bad, there are parents who care and try to help. However, statistically speaking, the ratio of parent involvement at regular ed to that of the alternative ed is directly proportional to the number of succesful students in each, which speaks volumes regarding the importance of parent involvement.

Oh ya, I see great potential in every child, and I frequently tell them that. The trick is getting them to believe it.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Never really thought of York as "Inner City" but depressing nonetheless. My in-laws were both raised there in the 50's and 60's and most of their family is still living in the city limits. I guess you could say they 'escaped' it as he is now a retired nuclear sub officer and nuclear engineer and she a registered nurse.

York is just one of those cities where the jobs arent that great and the economy is kinda stuck in neuteral.

Never really thought of York as "Inner City" but depressing nonetheless. My in-laws were both raised there in the 50's and 60's and most of their family is still living in the city limits. I guess you could say they 'escaped' it as he is now a retired nuclear sub officer and nuclear engineer and she a registered nurse. York is just one of those cities where the jobs arent that great and the economy is kinda stuck in neuteral.

OK, maybe I need ot clarify :rolleyes: . York is not an inner city. For that matter, no city is considered an inner city. The term "inner city" refers to a demographic setting within any given city. Areas of a city plagued by poverty, high crime and violence, gangs, and generally run down may be considered parts of the inner city. Usually, but not always, the inner city is of the oldest parts of the town, thus older homes, buildings, and the like.

Although not a textbook answer, hopefully I explained what was meant by "inner city". If not, do a google definition search.

Thanks for the queries.

Always a good Sport.

Man I never really noticed how ugly power lines really were. That'd be some cool, classic looking small town flavor if there weren't so many power lines uglying it up.

On a more related topic - congratulations. You've got a job that I'd be WAY too scared to do.