AAA service for a bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With KOA and AAA can you use whatever tow company is willing to show up or do you have to use a tow company approved by them? I've seen plenty of service stations displaying a AAA medallion but have never seen one saying KOA approved towing. Of course I'm in an area that doesn't have alot of KOA anything.

With KOA and AAA can you use whatever tow company is willing to show up or do you have to use a tow company approved by them? I've seen plenty of service stations displaying a AAA medallion but have never seen one saying KOA approved towing. Of course I'm in an area that doesn't have alot of KOA anything.

I was thinking the same thing myself. Maybe its time to give KOA a call? Hmm

all for the surprisingly low membership fee of just $73.29 your first year when you join now!
First year? :blink:

How much after that???
$99 for my most recent renewal.

Not everybody will mess with towing a bike, but they'll find someone. Another good thing with KOA/Allstate, they will pay to have it towed to the nearest authorized repair facility. When you own a BMW, that can be hundreds of miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
all for the surprisingly low membership fee of just $73.29 your first year when you join now!
First year? :blink:

How much after that???
$99 for my most recent renewal.

Not everybody will mess with towing a bike, but they'll find someone. Another good thing with KOA/Allstate, they will pay to have it towed to the nearest authorized repair facility. When you own a BMW, that can hundreds of miles.
I have used KOA services twice (one car, one bike) and both of the services wouldn't have been covered under normal AAA privileges (one was over a 120 miles and the other was 71 miles)!

Best regards,

Shane

Had the sears plan untill they sent me a letter stating i use there service too MUCH . Give me a break that is way i pay for it . I now have MOTOW / AAA . After reading some of the piror post KOA looks like the way to go thanks kids .

With the SPANK rally just around the corner, I've started to realize some sort of emergency road side assistance would be nice. Since alot of rally masters recommend using AAA maps for their rally's anyway, I looked to see what they cover on a Motorcycle. In order to get AAA to cover a bike you have to get the "AAA Plus RV" service. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Its about double what the regular membership is, so I'm just wondering if its worth it.

So, is this to get your bike towed.......... or to get it lifted off of someone else's bike?

I was thinking the same thing myself. Maybe its time to give KOA a call? Hmm
I think it is more Allstate than KOA.

Here is a link to the plan and all of the details...

PDF ALL STATE - RV ROADHELP

Good discussion :) .

I recently upgraded my AAA to Motorcycle/RV Plus. As long as I can get through to their 800 number out in the sticks in case of breakdown, no worries.

So, is this to get your bike towed.......... or to get it lifted off of someone else's bike?
Ha ha ha... you so funny!

I think I'm getting more feedback than I was expecting! :blink:

While the KOA one looks good on paper, it not really an option for me right now. The rally is in 7 days and I dont really want to wait around for the paperwork. There is however a AAA office near me I can go do all of that crap with.

For me I still see AAA as having one big plus the others dont have. Free maps. Running rally's I've noticed I go through alot of maps. With a 5 day rally, I can easily see myself using over 10 maps. Looking at the maps I currently have, I'm spending $4.95 per map. So right there that's $49 on maps I'm gonna use. If you figure that into the cost of the other towing services, its about the same as AAA with the RV stuff.

I think I'm gonna go with AAA for now and reasses my situation in a year. Thanks for all of the feedback, and keep posting your ideas. This thread could be useful for alot of people! :thumbsup:

Ha ha ha... you so funny!

I think I'm getting more feedback than I was expecting! :blink:

While the KOA one looks good on paper, it not really an option for me right now. The rally is in 7 days and I dont really want to wait around for the paperwork. There is however a AAA office near me I can go do all of that crap with.

For me I still see AAA as having one big plus the others dont have. Free maps. Running rally's I've noticed I go through alot of maps. With a 5 day rally, I can easily see myself using over 10 maps. Looking at the maps I currently have, I'm spending $4.95 per map. So right there that's $49 on maps I'm gonna use. If you figure that into the cost of the other towing services, its about the same as AAA with the RV stuff.

I think I'm gonna go with AAA for now and reasses my situation in a year. Thanks for all of the feedback, and keep posting your ideas. This thread could be useful for alot of people! :thumbsup:
After you purchase the KOA program on line, you will be given a temporary # and 800 # you can call (so you don't have to wait for the paperwork). I used it that way the first time a few weeks ago.

Best Regards,

Shane

I found this interesting. I just called AAA to find out if they offered motorcycle towing and was told that they do only in certain parts of the country but unless I had another address other than Suffolk County in NY (Long Island) I couldn't sign up for the RV Plus package. I'm curious if others living around large cities would have the same problem....

Note that with AMA membership, you can buy Motow Insurance for $25 per year. I have had this and made use of it. It really depends on the towing service that arrives as to the quality of service. I've had primo companies come, with great service. I've also had a gas station attendant show up with a cheap trailer and some cheap tie downs.

They will tow your ride 5 times per year up to 35 miles to any repair shop or dealer. Beyond 35 miles, there is a per mile charge. They also have a premier service that has a greater number of included miles and other features as well.

dgfella

They will tow your ride 5 times per year up to 35 miles to any repair shop or dealer. Beyond 35 miles, there is a per mile charge.
35 miles may be significant for cruisers, but an FJR (which may never need towing anyway) could easily be a hundred miles from anywhere. YMMV.

Since I can't get the AAA coverage, I checked with KOA and the nearest authorized tow company is 80 miles away from here. Any other alternatives?

I have AAA coverage (under RV plan which was required for bikes) and used it the last three times I rode my old bike ('77 KZ1000). Unfortunately, I've lost contact with the area tow truck drivers, now that I've got my '06 FJR.

I'm glad I read this thread because it got me thinking about what kind of coverage I actually have. The YES warranty "TRIP" coverage provides reimbursement of up to $150 per occurance, but only for mechanical breakdowns covered by the warranty. I guess it depends on how far you have to be towed, but would that be enough to cover most towing expenses? My vehicle insurance covers towing for crash-related stuff (I guess that would include stuff like a bent wheel, brake line damage, punctured radiator, etc) but only up to $50 per occurance. Running out of gas probably would not require towing. I can imagine that some things might slip through the cracks in the fine print of the YES and the vehicle insurance policies so it might be a good idea to have some policy that would cover towing regardless of the reason. Have to look into this...

I'm glad I read this thread because it got me thinking about what kind of coverage I actually have. The YES warranty "TRIP" coverage provides reimbursement of up to $150 per occurance, but only for mechanical breakdowns covered by the warranty. I guess it depends on how far you have to be towed, but would that be enough to cover most towing expenses? My vehicle insurance covers towing for crash-related stuff (I guess that would include stuff like a bent wheel, brake line damage, punctured radiator, etc) but only up to $50 per occurance. Running out of gas probably would not require towing. I can imagine that some things might slip through the cracks in the fine print of the YES and the vehicle insurance policies so it might be a good idea to have some policy that would cover towing regardless of the reason. Have to look into this...
I asked the guy who towed me 71 miles this past weekend (had a flat) how much it would have cost me without the KOA road side program - he told me $210. The KOA plan only cost me ~$75.00!

Best regards,

Shane