About Cross-Gen Farkle Compatibility

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
First of all, the standard disclaimer: I looked. Honest. And I know I've seen comments made about this here and there, but I can't find it now, or any specific thread on the subject. I hope somebody just knows and can tell me. And I did look on the Comparison Matrix that Matt did, and it's great, but some of the details I find I need as a new Gen III owner aren't there.

So here's the problem. I spent all the money on the bike, but I'm going to need to spend some more. If I can find what I want used, I'd love it. Half the farkles on my '05 were found here in the forum and saved me a boatload of dough.

Here's what I need to know. Can these parts from a Gen II fit on my Gen III?

1. Seats/saddles.

2. Windscreen.

2. Tail bag or rack. (I had a Garauld rack, so I need one of those or a hard case with all the mounting paraphernalia.)

Some things I can wait for--especially if I have to buy new. But I need more cargo space right away. Otherwise, I can never go to Costco again. Help?

And I did look on the Comparison Matrix that Matt did, and it's great, but some of the details I find I need as a new Gen III owner aren't there.
1. Seats/saddles.

2. Windscreen.
The matrix does cover #1 and #2...clear up to the brand new '16! Read the notes for each and/or the color shift of the columns between G1 (blue) G2 (light green) and G3 (darker green).

Last edited by a moderator:
click me!

Don't thank me; thank Ignacio, who created it (?) and maintains it.

Just to make sure we are on the same page here, you are leaving a Gen1 going to a Gen3 but your question is compatibility between Gen2 and Gen3?

1. Seats/Saddles: Gen 2 and Gen 3 are the same.

2. Windscreen: Not compatible. Each Generation windscreen is unique to that Generation

3.Tail Bag/Rack/Top boxes: This area of the bike did not change from Gen2 to Gen 3. What works on the Gen2 will work on the Gen3.

I encourage you to spend money. Lots of it. Money cannot buy happiness but it can buy motorcycles and that is almost the same thing. Motorcycle parts are in that category.

RH,

I believe he may be looking at used GenII stuff to save some money. So if something goes up for sale in the classifieds and belongs to a GenII will it also fit a GenIII.

Did I confuse anyone?

Dave

RH,
I believe he may be looking at used GenII stuff to save some money. So if something goes up for sale in the classifieds and belongs to a GenII will it also fit a GenIII.

Did I confuse anyone?

Dave
SacrementoMike was confused when he got up this morning. Normal. :)

Yes you're right. For point 1, 2, 3.

If you haven't an ae, or as version, front and rear shork are compatible too, and front shork on gen 2 is better than gen 3

Thanks for the quick replies, everybody. The matrix is an impressive piece of work, but I wasn't sure about the seat from it. The windshield entry I just missed. Thanks for the other replies, except maybe Fred's.

And yes, I'll be shopping in the used market for some of that stuff for the '14. But I don't need any shorks.

Thanks for the quick replies, everybody. The matrix is an impressive piece of work, but I wasn't sure about the seat from it. The windshield entry I just missed. Thanks for the other replies, except maybe Fred's.
And yes, I'll be shopping in the used market for some of that stuff for the '14. But I don't need any shorks.

Check craigslist. I see parts listed from time to time.

Here's an item for the matrix. I could PM Ignacio, but I guess he'll see this anyway, and maybe somebody else can use the information. I just pulled the highway pegs off my Gen I, cleaned them up, and sat down on the driveway to add to the Gen III. ARGGGH! They don't fit! The hole pattern's wrong.

Well, I'll hang on to the Kuryakyn pegs and offset extenders, and get a set of Gen III plates, I guess, but dang!

(BTW, I'm SURE this one isn't in the matrix. Almost sure.)

edit: at the risk of showing myself to be an idiot, but for the sake of not leaving wrong info out on the forum--I was completely mistaken about the Wild Bill (or any other make) highway peg plates not fitting a Gen III. They fit. All generations, same pattern. Mine were pretty deformed from a drop at some point that bent the bolts and the plate and I couldn't get them to line up. A little "cold forging" with a BFH* took care of the problem.

*Big Fucking Hammer

and front shock on gen 2 is better than gen 3
huh? Not sure I heard that before.
Yes I am

This is particularly remarkable when driving with heavy charge on yo, and ur seat when it is cold.

On version 2013, they wanted to simplify the front suspension, maybe too much...

The security forces (France) replaced in general.

and front shock on gen 2 is better than gen 3
huh? Not sure I heard that before.
Wheaton, I am sure you have already worked through our French friend's translation. As you probably know, translation is sometimes tricky.

But it is a point of fact that the suspension was changed on both ends of the Gen3. Not only was the rear shock's damping improved and the spring strengthened, but the front forks are completely different internally. While they do look pretty much the same externally, all the damping takes place in one leg, all the spring work is done in the other. We at first feared that may not work well, but I have not heard anyone complain that their Gen2 was better suspended than their Gen3.

I advised Pop to install a Gen3 rear shock on his aging Gen2 and the results have been stellar.

Yeah, I thought it was a little funky when I first heard about it. But I can say that this '13 has had an awesome front suspension. The Gen 3 stock suspension has been awesome, both front and rear. I thought I would be missing my aftermarket suspension from my 2004...but I cannot notice any significant difference.

I'm sorry if m'y english is realy not fluent. And my cela phone try to remove all english Word. So if some point are not in understandable, I have to rewright it. Or try to find better Word.

It's not realy better, but gen3 suspension mission some possibility to tune it. It's not sensible at middle temperature, but when temperature is under 0°c, the difference between the two legs are realy sensible, espacialy when you make strong breaking, or fast turc. So when you suspension take constraint...

Is it better?

Your English is fine...I have absolutely no complaints regarding my 13 suspension, forks or shock. Both work great.

Thanks for your contributions to the Forum.