About Gen1 OEM Top case plate (question..)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
I installed an oem top case plate in my 03/abs and i noticed that the four rubbers of the plate they are a bit tight in the contact with the handle luggage rack when i screwed the three bolts.The plate with the handle luggage rack must has a tight fit?I thought that because it has the two spacers tubes there ought to sit on them without to has contact the rubbers with the handle luggage rack.Except this,when i screwed the central bolt i noticed that the plate bent a bit in the center.All those are normal??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's supposed to have a bend in it but, I have a GenII. Some one that knows more will jump in shortly. Good Luck! :)

The small bent caused because the rubbers do the contact firstly with handle luggage rack in the four corners and in the central bolt between the plate and the handle luggage rack there a small space.When i screwed the central bolt then the plate bent a bit for that reason..for that reason there the tight fit in the rubbers between the plate and the handle luggage rack..My question is, if someone with a Gen1 has installed an oem plate has noticed this??Is this normal??

I have a 2003 with the plate and I would say that there is an issue with your install. Is it possible that the plastic spacer on the bottom of your rack where the rear bolt goes through has been crushed slightly? If so, try adding a couple od washers between it and the subframe. I hope I explained this fcorrectly.

Canadian FJR

I have a 2003 with the plate and I would say that there is an issue with your install. Is it possible that the plastic spacer on the bottom of your rack where the rear bolt goes through has been crushed slightly? If so, try adding a couple od washers between it and the subframe. I hope I explained this fcorrectly.

Canadian FJR
The plate is brand new,unboxed and installed.The plastic spacer is in a brand new condition.You mean the four rubbers in your plate doesn't have a tight fit with the handle luggage rack?Your rubbers they don't pressing the handle luggage rack?

They touch but not to the point that the base plate is bending.

Canadian FJR
I really don't know what is going wrong there..it looks like that it need one or two washers under the plastic spacer,but and under the two aluminium front spacers..but the instructions don't say something like this..The instructions say:Drill two holes in the plastic fender for the two spacers and install the plate with the three bolts and that's all..

As you can see in this picture from this link, the rubbers looks to do a tight pres in the handle luggage rack,as in mine bike.

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/topbox.html

U48-10_zps7fa0a1cb.jpg

Is this a picture of your bike? If so, I see nothing wrong there. Canadian FJR
No,this picture is from this link:https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/topbox.html

Also mine looks like this picture..I mean,when i try with my finger to push the plate from under near to the rubber area it is a bit tight on the handle luggage rack..That tight fit i mean if you can understand me..The four rubbers touches a bit tight the handle luggage rack..

Αfter a search and the Mike's help who told me how it looks and fits,very detailed in his bike i found that and mine plate fits exactly the same like his plate and so,i haven't a problem there..!It is pretty normal for the rubbers bumpers to do a tight fit with the handle luggage rack to absorb the hits and the weight..

majicmaker,Canadian FJR,Mike,Alan

Thanks for your replies!
smile.png