About to pull the trigger on an '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it looks like early next week I'm going to dive into the wonderful world of FJR ownership. I just sold my 2 1986 FJ1200's to make room for the new baby. I think I'm getting a good deal. The price is $14,200 including the 4 additional years of the Y.E.S. out the door. Is that a good deal? I'm also wondering how much I should be paying for the top trunk, mount, and pad.

I'm really looking forward to this!!!

Thanks!

So it looks like early next week I'm going to dive into the wonderful world of FJR ownership. I just sold my 2 1986 FJ1200's to make room for the new baby. I think I'm getting a good deal. The price is $14,200 including the 4 additional years of the Y.E.S. out the door. Is that a good deal? I'm also wondering how much I should be paying for the top trunk, mount, and pad.I'm really looking forward to this!!!

Thanks!
I figger if yur happy, it's a good deal!

Having a good dealer with good mechanics is worth big $$$.

Gonna be a long weekend a waitin' tho.... :rolleyes:

Can't comment on the TT&L in your state, but the Bike can easily be purchased in the low $12's.

D&H sells the YES warranty for $389.

If $12.5 + TTL = $14,200, then I'd call it "a good deal."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have a hard time believing a mid-12's price unless you're talking before TTL. You should definitely be able to get one out the door in the low 13's.

Thanks...yep this is definitely going to be a LONNNGG weekend!!! I can't wait.

By the way, what should I expect to pay for the Top Trunk, mount (which I hear is not included), and the pad for the trunk?

By the way, what should I expect to pay for the Top Trunk, mount (which I hear is not included), and the pad for the trunk?
No idea what the going rate for the Yammy top box is but, if your concerned about cost like I was you may want to consider some others. After much research here I ended up with the GIVI 52. Went with the flat black, no paint and it was the right fit for me function, $, quality and looks.

Getting a FJR in the driveway is always a good deal. Congrats!

So it looks like early next week I'm going to dive into the wonderful world of FJR ownership. I just sold my 2 1986 FJ1200's to make room for the new baby. I think I'm getting a good deal. The price is $14,200 including the 4 additional years of the Y.E.S. out the door. Is that a good deal? I'm also wondering how much I should be paying for the top trunk, mount, and pad.

Thanks!
Like others said, 08 A (not AE) can be had for $11999 and then add TTL. I don't know if D & H will get more 08s or not. Gerald said maybe 2 more before the 09s get in. Unless you are sold on the Yamaha top box, I got a Givi V46 with gloss black finish from Twisted Throttle for under $300, and attached to Premier rack with adapter kit and lets you use the rack for other things also.

I got the Y.E.S. flr $389 also (total of 5 years coverage).

JDP

Did a $13,188.00 deal at the local dealer here LIC/TTL OTD including YES 4yr, I did beat him about the head & ears w/ printouts confirming D&Hs warantee prices, ...just told him I'd rather buy the YES package from him, but wouldn't unless he matched the price, he capitulated. Don't be timid about badgering him, ...hell, all he can do is say no, no skin off your nose! No trunk in my total, ...you didn't say whether the trunk/rack was part of your quote.

No trunk in my total, ...you didn't say whether the trunk/rack was part of your quote.
No trunk/rack part of my quote. I'm seeing retail for the Yamaha trunk/mount/pad totals ~$785. Is that what most people are paying? And is it true to install the mount you have to drill a whole in the back of the bike?

The $13200 area out the door with the YES is about the best I have seen. I've got my dealer at $11950 for the bike plus $840 in tax. If I can get the YES for the $400 others are talking, I will be right in that $13200 area. Not sure what the demand is in your area but from what I'm seeing out here, there is about a $1000 left in your price that can be negotiated. Get him to throw in the box, rack, etc and you should be right there.

look into the GIVI trunks - way less dollars than the Yamaha and I think they look a lot better with the FJR especially the V46. Here is the link to the GIVI usa site https://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_...492&lang=en The prices on www.twistedthrottle.com (just ordered some parts to use my old V46 from an 05 on my 08 and they shipped the parts next day so they stock GIVI) are as follows.

V46 top box 235

Mount kit 135

Gloss Black Cover 53

Total 425 with probably 50 bucks shipping so less than 500

You can also add a back rest (wife did not need it - stock bag is easy to lean against and the back rest pushes you forward) or additional brake lights for that all important visibility from behind. on the 05 you did not need to drill, I am guessing the 08 is as well designed.

J.C. Whitney has a Givi knock-off for cheap. If you poke around a bit you should be able to find information from people who are using them.

Two weeks ago I paid $13,000 "out the door" at a locale dealer and then purchased the YES warranty for $400.

Thanks!
$13,300 out the door in New York, not great but I could live with itl.

Had a price out the door here in SC for 12,724. That includes $300 tax, no title fee, and $24 registration. Did not include the YES. Good luck in your quest. You guys out in California generally have higher prices on everything, so I am not surprised that you will end up paying a lot more than many other parts of the country. Again, best of luck and hope you enjoy that new bike.