About to pull the trigger..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotedude

Reaction score
Well, it's been a long road. I've spent the last six mos absorbing, oogling and riding several

bikes and have finally have it pegged on the FJR. The amount of incredibly helpful info on the BMR, Duc,

and th FJR sites, this one in particular, has made this task fun and I feel a lot more confident in the selection.

Thanks to all, whether directly or in most cases through looking over all the shoulders of others in these

discussions, arguements (in good humor) and experiences this site provides. A big nod to the site mods/founders,

etc, nice job.

Ok, enough ass kissing. I'm a few days away from locking down a new '08. There are so damn many variables

in this crappy economy that it's tough to feel comfortable with a new purchase as a day, week or month down the

road the dealer and/or Yamaha may roll out more incentives to get through this econ shitstorm.

So, here's where I've left it. Ball is in my court, and I'm simply looking for some feedback about the deal as it is now

before I reapproach the dealer. Yup, I realize there are regional price diffs, and motivations among the dealers, just

looking for some general feedback from you guys or ladies.

Offered $11,500 for '08 including Yam trunk and the YES warranty. Dealer counters with $11,500 otd for bike only, I

figured this is decent for the machine, but where should this end up with the two goodies?

thanks.

YES is just under $400 through another dealer on the forum, not the $800+ quoted from some dealers.

There are other (some say better) options for a top case. You might check prices for Givi, etc., that don't have issues with the mounting plate cracking.

Advice on the deal? Heck, I bought mine while still under the PDP program and NorCal dealers were getting "full-boat"...if you want it, you pay. While I'd liked to have saved money, I'm still thrilled with my FJR.

Maybe if we knew your location, owners in your area might be better able to advise options.

I concur. Get the YES for $400 elsewhere. Get a GIVI instead of butt ugly, less functional Yamaha trunk.

Offer him $11k for the bike only, OTD.

Agree with the others regarding YES and top trunk. Counter the dealer with first 2 services free at 11.5k or 11 OTD. He'll most likely throw in the services. Be sure to ask around to see if the service department is worthy of your biz.

I'd grab it in a heartbeat and ask him what services he could throw into the deal -- free 600 mile service, next tire mounting free, couple free oil changes, whatever. Buy sliders. Buy the YES cheaper. Consider living without a topbox. With the money you'd spend on a topbox (I personally don't miss having a topbox at all -- soft motofizz for long hauls works well) the YES would be close to or totally free. But do what feels right in your gut no matter what, so you don't regret anything later.

Good point. If I never rode 2-up I would not have a rear trunk. Id' just have one of these:

Tailbag6.JPG

Nelson Rigg CL100

or maybe one of these:

corbinseatsmuggler.JPG

Corbin Smuggler ($$$$)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, good to know I'm in the ballpark for the bike. Good advice on tossing in the first couple of services. I did some research on the

Givi and now think that's the way to go, and it seems the consensus on the YES is around the $400 mark. I'll give them the chance to sell

me the YES at that level, otherwise I'll find it elsewhere. I'm all for capitalism, but the dealer should be earning no more than $50 - $75 for

filling out paperwork for an extended warranty. The service dept are the folks that should benefit, not the sales side.

Thanks again, and look forward to getting to know more of you.

coyotedude,

Too bad you don't live closer, check out the 2008 for sale under classified. I could make you a better deal but the shipping cost would be on you. The bike is in very excellent condition. I am having surgery and I am considering selling it.

Ankhman

Hey Ankhman, thanks for the heads up, PA is a long haul from OR unfortunately. Nicely farkeled, low miles, kinda tempting really.

The dealer here is working hard and the sales guy is straight forward to work with. I've bought several bikes/atv from them over

the years, if it doesn't work out, I may look at a nicely used - like yours - shortly.

G'luck with the scalpel.

Mike

I'd go ahead a buy it. Couple thousand less than my cost, sept 08, northern VA. Granted, that was a different world ago but still seems like a great deal from here. Besides every day you wait is one less day you'll be riding it!! Get it, enjoy it.

I called a dealer today in Manassas, VA today and they quoted 13,100 for an 08' and 14,100 for an 09' (A model) so your price sounds good. The dealer told me there are no more 09's as Yamaha is done production for the year (at least for FJR's) ???? I think I can do better than that but the supply situation is a mystery.

Don't know what your prep and T&L is there but I 'think' the best I've seen a new '08 go for is 10,500 (bike only). So that looks to be a great deal.

James

June of 2005, it was $13,500 take it or leave it. PDP was still on and dealers were still trying to get around it. I have not regretted it for a day.

Latest posts