ABS -- front lever pulsing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken C

Reaction score
'06A FJR, 2K miles. On dry concrete, I for the first time felt the brake lever pulse on hard braking. I was IMHO nowhere near a skid. No pulse at the pedal, tho. Happened two times in a row.

Is my ABS malfunctioning? What is the significance of which control pulses (lever vs. pedal)?

Ken C

I had this happen to me while I still had my problems with the front master cylinder. It would allow the lever to pull on light pressure, all the way back to the bar. since having the dealer replace the master cylinder, not problem.

Otherwise, just make sure you have your suspension set up right to keep the bike balanced properly, and that you aren't stopping in the oily area of the road.

Aww...finally...the bleeder results are in. And the winner is....master cylinder.

I would bet your pulsing problem has nothing to do with ABS and everything to do with your front brake discs. I have had the pulsing feeling on more than one bike and it is always warped brake discs . That would explain why you only get the feeling when using the front brakes and not the rear.You can have the same problem in a car with disk brakes.

You will probably have to straighten or replace one of the front brake rotors.

mac

I would bet your pulsing problem has nothing to do with ABS and everything to do with your front brake discs. I have had the pulsing feeling on more than one bike and it is always warped brake discs . That would explain why you only get the feeling when using the front brakes and not the rear.You can have the same problem in a car with disk brakes.
That is not so. If you hammer the front/rear or both on dry pavement and are not getting a pulsing/pumping, something is wrong with the ABS system. That pulsing/pumping is what keeps you from locking the wheels.

I for the life of me do not know how people are wrapping front rotors on the ABS FJR?

That is not so. If you hammer the front/rear or both on dry pavement and are not getting a pulsing/pumping, something is wrong with the ABS system. That pulsing/pumping is what keeps you from locking the wheels.

I for the life of me do not know how people are wrapping front rotors on the ABS FJR?
Fabone

For the life of me I don't understand why you exploded about my suggestion for brake lever pulsing problems, as I was just offering one of the causes of that problem for Ken C to have his dealer check as he only has 2K miles on the bike

The comment you made "THAT IS NOT SO" sounds like you are very sure of yourself. Let me tell you a little story:

I am 70 yrs old and started riding when I was 16 and I have owned a few bikes during that time. I am not a motorcycle mechanic but I was an aircraft mechanic for a few years. One of the first things I learned in mechanic school was to never say never. You think of all things that can cause the problem you are experiencing and check each one until you find the source. What I was doing was informing Ken of one of the possibilities. It is easy to check, put your bike on the center stand, add some weight to the rear seat so the front wheel is off the ground. Then put a dial gauge on the brake rotor and then spin the tire and see how much runout you have. I don't have a service manual so I don't know what that number should be but the dealer should.

As far as that remark "THAT IS NOT SO".

I guess I was just imagining at 30K miles that I was having the same problem as Ken.

I guess the mechanic was imagining it when he told me I had a warped rotor and needed to replace it.

I guess I was just imagining it that after it was replaced the problem no longer existed.

I guess I was just imagining that about 60K miles later that I experienced the same problem with the other rotor.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

I don't pretend to know anything about your story about " WRAPPING FRONT ROTORS", maybe it has something to do with Christmass.

My '06 also does this from time to time. It's not warped rotors, I know what that feels like.

This feels exactly like ABS activation. The surprising part is that it happens on hard braking but not the REALLY hard braking that I've come to expect is required to activate the ABS.

For the life of me I don't understand why you exploded about my suggestion for brake lever pulsing problems,...
I exploded? Who pissed in your cornflakes? You or anyone one else on this forum haven't yet seen or heard me explode. What, you think that just because you happen to be 70 years old, no one else has any knowledge or life experiences.

I was referring to an 06ABS FJR with 2k miles, not some other non ABS bike. Warped rotors are usually caused by over heating from a dragging pad or riding the brakes. There shouldn't be a dragging pad on a new 06 bike and why would you be riding the front brakes?

I'm here to help other people with what ever I can. I do know that you can not live long enough to learn from all your own mistakes, so you learn from others. I don't claim to know it all.

I did however spend several months 2 years ago building the FJR ABS Spiegler lines, so I kind of know how the ABS system works. Does that mean I'm an expert on ABS? No, I don't have a diploma on the wall.

I've noticed that a lot of people only read, retain and focus on what they want and therefore have no real comprehension of the total statement that was made. I'm not going to waste my time and try to explain everything in some engineer's babble.

Quite frankly I'm tired of being misunderstood when trying to share some information. I'm tired of the "my dick is bigger" ass clowns and know it all experts. It's become more apparent that I've got nothing further to give the FJR community. You have just pushed it over the top. I'm wasting my time here and it's come time for me to move on.

So you can freely imagine whatever you wish, for I really don't care. You got the floor, have at it.