Absolute waterproof overpants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'll bite.

I tried the Darien pants and jacket. Thought they would be perfect. Had my body measured by a pro seamstress per Aerostitch instructions. Eagerly waited for then opend up the big brown box and tried the jacket on first. WTFO? Is it normal for the collar to go up 2" over my ears? How come the arms are so damn long?

The pants were worse fitting than the jacket. To tight on the waist, to baggy in the crotch and ass, and too tight on the thighs. The calves though, were perfect.

I really tried to like the Aero D stuff but ended up returning for refund. Then purchased TourMaster Flex jacket and pants, rode for 1 year and wore both of them out, now I'm in CyclePort, where I agree with what Silent said. Except to add the CP's, if fully padded, are really bulky.

Good luck on your search. Snowmobile suit maybe? :rolleyes:

I am looking for dedicated overpants for winter, guys. Not summer pants. No mesh. I already have a pair of mesh pants for summer. I own a pair of Olympia Airglide mesh pants. The liner has been tested in rain & they leaked immediately. Also, my next overpants will be completely windproof... I want a solid shell.

I really appreciate all of the help. I'm going to take a closer look at the Tourmaster & Roadgear. I think that those were the only two mentioned that I'll look at. Still considering the Darien.

I'll be getting in touch with Grumpy for more information. It seems that folks that own them are very loyal to them. Gotta' be a reason for that.

In the mean time, if you've got suggestions, please do post them.

Again thanks, Heidi

If you don't mind having a Bass Pro Shops logo on your rain gear, Bass Pro Shops markets very comfortable, totally waterproof, mixed sized (jackets and pants bought separately for best fit), GoreTex (breaths good) rain gear.

If you've bought the right size, you can put them on quickly over regular or other armoured clothes (under the bridge or even better, at the gas pump).

They're probably more pricey than Frog Togs, but probably less than Aerostitch.

I carry mine, along with water proof gloves, boot covers, and safety vest, whenever I head out on a multi-day trip. I put the rain gear on for added warmth when the daytime temps may be warm enough to ride with a mesh jacket, but nighttime temps drop to require a bit more cover. The GoreTex is comfortable, rain or shine.

I've seen some other guys riding with the Bass Pro Shops gear too, but its a small percentage of the riding population.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try it again when I have more time. The suggestion of putting my boots on AFTER the pants are on... yeah, I'll be doing that.
I think that I might start another thread asking about Darien pants. I'd really rather have Roadcrafter pants... but the same thing goes... the roadcrafter is tight in the calve area.
I already replied in your other thread on the Darien pants. I'll just add that I regularly put the Darien pants on with boots on and it's absolutely no problem. The side zippers run all the way up. Yes, ALL the way up if you want but there's velcro from mid thigh up that stops the zipper from going up too far for everyday use. The zippers are heavy duty and I've had no leaks from them due to the inner and outer flaps.

I am going to actually take my new pants home & see if we can make friends. I have not actually put them on with my boots. I am just assuming that it ain't gonna' work after my half assed sweat match with these ass pains.
I am going to try it again when I have more time. The suggestion of putting my boots on AFTER the pants are on... yeah, I'll be doing that.

The liner in these things is THICK. Thicker than any other insulation that I've ever had for pants.

Hey woofoo! What's happening man?

The suggestion of mesh pants will be a no-go with me. I have mesh pants for summer months & am strictly looking for winter type overpants.

I think that I might start another thread asking about Darien pants. I'd really rather have Roadcrafter pants... but the same thing goes... the roadcrafter is tight in the calve area.
I can't and don't pull on my Firstgear winter pants over my boots. I can & do pull them on over my 2 pairs of wool socks, though

Heidi,

The Dariens don't come with a liner. They're overpants and damn good ones. If you wear some thermals under a reasonable pair of pants then you could be comfortable with the Darien overpants. They are tough as nails and armored. Easy on/off and they come with a real belt ! You might get a better fit out of the new, improved version, the AD1s.

The Cycleport pants will require the use of either their rain barrier liner or your own choice of rain pants to be totally waterproof. me personally, I would rather put on a pair of rain pants instead of having to stop, find a place to change and put on a rain liner underneath...

Either one of these products will not be cheap but, spending a little extra up front might be the best way to go to get what you want.

Last but not least, these two products are "made in the USA".

I am looking for insulated overpants that have a removable liner. Not anything like frogg toggs. Been there, done that. I'm in the market for insulated, armored, & hopefully 100% waterproof overpants.
Thanks for the tip, though.
Insulated overpants that have a removable liner... I have the Tourmaster Flex pant. The primary part is a mesh pant that holds the armor. comfortable enough in the summers (I live in Virginia where the summers can get hot/muggy. What heat I feel is outweighed by the comfort I get by wearing padded pants. There's a zip in outer shell which blocks the wind and makes these suitable for all but the coldest days. The inner waterproof liner is completely water proof. Instead of a zipper or other closure, there's a "fan" of material, which in my case keeps the pants from opening as wide as they do without the liner and makes it just a bit harder to get these pants on. They also have a thermal liner which I have not needed to use and I'm riding at temps around freezing.

I bought the women's Flex 2 jaket and Flex pants for my wife. They're not flattering, but they fit.