Adapt stock trunk mount to Givi SR-357 rack?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRydr

Reaction score
Thought I was going Givi & ordered SR-357 kit. The next day I actually found & bought a stock trunk for my '06. And without having the physical parts to compare racks, thought I could adapt by piloting some holes, drop fasteners thru stock mount to mate with Givi rack. Of course the givi trunk mount would not be useful. Has anyone done this before?

Thought I was going Givi & ordered SR-357 kit. The next day I actually found & bought a stock trunk for my '06. And without having the physical parts to compare racks, thought I could adapt by piloting some holes, drop fasteners thru stock mount to mate with Givi rack. Of course the givi trunk mount would not be useful. Has anyone done this before?
I'd be interested in learning what you find out. I have the Yamaha trunk as well and have never been happy with the plastic trunk mount for it. It seems too flexible and flimsy, especially compared to the grab bar/rack that's already on the bike. I've thought about installing some sort of foolproof positive locking mechanism - like the pins some folks are using on their sidebags.

The easiest way would be to get a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate and attach that to the SR357. Then, take the stock Yamaha plastic plate and attach it to the aluminum plate. So, 4 holes to attach the aluminum plate to the SR357, and then 3 holes to attach the Yamaha plate to the aluminum plate.

This way, you can set the plates and box where you want them, and then drill.

HTH, Lucas