Adding Accessories

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
I have an '08 FJR and this summer I would like to add a GPS and I plan to use a video camera for filming rides. I was wandering if that would be too much for the charging system. I had recently read in a magazine that most the charging systems on the bikes today aren't designed to handle many accessories. Any help would be appreciated.

you could also add heated clothing and driving lights and still be ok. check bin-o-facts for electrical data for your bike. these bikes make power to spare

06-08 bin-o-facts

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '08 FJR and this summer I would like to add a GPS and I plan to use a video camera for filming rides. I was wandering if that would be too much for the charging system.
Not at all. I regularly use a Zumo 550 and Gerbing heated gear (which would draw *much* more power than your camera) with no issues.

If I may ask, what kind of camera are you going to use that requires power from the bike?

You could if you want it hot all the time. make sure there is an inline fuse.

try doing a google search of this site and you'll find just about everything you could think to ask has already been discussed in detail.

use this format when searching: subject of interest site:fjrforum.com

I was going to use a Sony HandyCam with a wide angle lens. I didn't want to rely on the camera's battery, so I wanted to use another power source. I've seen some video from someone else that used one like it and the video turned out great.

I was wandering if that would be too much for the charging system.

While yer "wandering"

Hit the search button.............

Ya sorry asses are begining to sound like Doctor Phil. Or whoever the fuk the latest "self help" douche bag is :blink:

:jester:

I have often wondered what would happen when you reach the limit of the charging system while riding the bike if you had everything running at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have often wondered what would happen when you reach the limit of the charging system while riding the bike if you had everything running at the same time.
Nothing bad happens until the smoke comes out but then you find replacement smoke is very spendy and hard to find in some areas. :rolleyes:

On my last bike, I added a fuseblock that was relayed to ignition power to run my accessories and it worked pretty well. Based on what I learned from doing that, I am not sure I would do it again. Especially for my heated gear, because it adds additional points of failure. Nothing sucks worse than having your heated gear work intermittently because there are too many connections in your circuit. That being said, I don't run a lot of accessories.

If you plan to run a lot of stuff, adding a fuseblock is a decent way to go, because you can feed the entire block with one large (12 ga or better) wire, and have items independently fuse protected. It is a lot easier than getting 6 ring terminals connected to the battery. Just try to think it through, because you can spend a lot of time re-doing it if you don't like the layout.

Good luck.

J