Additional Tail Lights on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieBikerDude

Reaction score
I know this is getting very close to Friday but I really want to know. I have been unable to locate any posts about adding tail lights to the FJR. I have Hyperlites wired to the brake lights and feel they are a wise addition as is my SOLAS film.

Last week while riding in a typical afternoon thunderstorm in Oklahoma I had the opportunity to follow a fellow FJR rider and a Gold Wing. The daylight was adequate so there wasn't any reflection from the stock reflectors or any "stick on" reflector film. I know the Gold Wing lights up like a Christmas tree but I believe the rear of the FJR was lacking in this situation.

All input appreciated, so take your best shots.

OBD

Last edited by a moderator:
wasn't me

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

Just do it! My GF was following me home in her car one night and told me how bad the lights on the FJR were compared to my wing. So I bought https://www.hyperlites.com/ best money I ever spent on the bike or any bike as a matter of fact. I am a surgical tech, work in labor and delivery so sometimes I am out all hours of the night and I wear reflective vest, added large reflectors and the lights just for my own peace of mind. In the past year alone here in NW Florida we have had three tragic deaths of motorcyclist because "I did not see them" car and truck drivers. One was just fifteen minutes ahead of me on N 85 right outside our town. Off my soap box about being seen, seriously just do it.

You could just make your own. Semi truck LED marker lights, quite bright.

DSC_2405.jpg

I saw an FJR where the owner had swapped out the directional light sockets with ones which accommodate dual filament bulbs, just like the tail/brake light sockets and bulbs. Effectively he had four tail lights, two red and two yellow. It was very easy to see him.

I saw an FJR where the owner had swapped out the directional light sockets with ones which accommodate dual filament bulbs, just like the tail/brake light sockets and bulbs. Effectively he had four tail lights, two red and two yellow. It was very easy to see him.
Not sure that is legal in all jurisdictions.

Maybe its just the picture but those look dimmer than the factory tail light?
It's just the picture. The LED's are as bright or brighter than the brake lights. And they are very annoying with the BackOff modulator, just ask anyone that's followed me :p

Thank you for the great responses and good ideas. As I mentioned, I have Hyperlites installed inside the tail light but they function as brake lights only. Dale's custom bracket and the truck LED's are something I had in the back of my mind. Now I have the details.

A great forum. Thanks to guys like you. :clapping:

OBD

Dale ~ Its been 4 years since you posted the excellent tutorial over on FJRTech, and I was wondering if you still think highly of the connectors you used?

They appear to be a really clean option, but I've never used them myself, and was wondering if they have proven trouble-free?

Thanks,

Don
posi locks are excellent...I won't use anything else anymore

they are now stock on all hyperlites kits

Mine:

Image%2004.jpg

I had said from the beginning that I wouldn't get a top case, but after my first four-day trip, I can see where they would come in very, very handy. So I am getting the Coocase S48 Top Case. It comes with additional running lights and brake lights already installed. So that would be two brake lights below the factory lights, the factory lights, and two above the factory lights. That should do it!

9623-500x600.jpg