Additional Travel Storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roadgear Jumbo Hauler is huge and fits great on the bike for long trips.
94large-3.jpg
+1 on the Jumbo Hauler. It will attach to any bike and it holds a lot of stuff.

Yes, I was looking at the Ortlieb. I was thinking the small might be the right size but you have me curious about your large now. Do you think the large is too big to fit across the pillion? I'm also curious on how I could tie it down to the bike. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?
I came home, tossed some sweatshirts and sweaters in the bag, and hooked it up. Sorry for the quality of the photos -- I just snapped them with my cell phone.

As you can see, the large Ortlieb fits fine on the pillion. As far as hooking it to the bike -- it kind of comes with its own straps. Part of the closing mechanism are quick latch cinch straps on the sides. You just run those under the grab handles, click 'em in place, and cinch them down a bit. You can see this in the bottom two photos.

ortlieb1.jpg

ortlieb2.jpg

ortlieb3.jpg

I like that setup, have the same bag in yellow, use it on the FJR and Tiger. Never thought of using the end straps to tie it down to the hand rails though, I usually use Rok Straps over and around it.

The Ortlieb large holds tons-o-stuff and is tough and waterproof. It easily holds tents, sleeping bags, clothing and just plain stuff. Even doubles as a make shift beverage cooler at the campground :unsure:

What brand seat is that?? Looks comfy.

Richard

-------------------

I came home, tossed some sweatshirts and sweaters in the bag, and hooked it up. Sorry for the quality of the photos -- I just snapped them with my cell phone.

As you can see, the large Ortlieb fits fine on the pillion. As far as hooking it to the bike -- it kind of comes with its own straps. Part of the closing mechanism are quick latch cinch straps on the sides. You just run those under the grab handles, click 'em in place, and cinch them down a bit. You can see this in the bottom two photos.

I have a color matched UNI-GO with my 05. They're not cheap, but the quality is A1. I paid more for mine than now, as I had to order the trailer and hitch from New Zealand. I guess they're makng them in the states now. The big minus to the set-up is you only have 15/20 degrees backing it up, as it's hooked up via a u-joint. Underway,it's excellent. I've towed a homebuilt for a few thousand miles, behind a Venture, and there's no comparison. Low speed, or high, it handles very good. I've had it well over 100MPH and no issues, and on the Dragon 3 times, not slowing me down, although I'm not a peg scraper. It has a radial tire on it., if that matters. One thing everyone likes is, I unhook, and take it in the motel room with me, so no unpacking.Some of the rooms I stayed at, if I had fold up mirrors I could have taken the MC also. One other point, a hubdred pounds is a hell of a lot. We(2up) could tour indefinality with our setup. I have the Yamaha topcase also and a expando tankbag.

Squeezer, dude, thanks so much for taking the time to mock it up and shoot the pics, I really appreciate it. I definately will be doing something like I was thinking in the first place with a bag on the pillion. You guys have given me lots of choices in what bag to go with, now I just need to decide.

I like those Uni-Go set-ups, but I'm not quite ready for that. Maybe some day.

I'm so sick of winter and ready to ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that setup, have the same bag in yellow, use it on the FJR and Tiger. Never thought of using the end straps to tie it down to the hand rails though, I usually use Rok Straps over and around it.
I picked that trick up from a Connie rider at the Mason-Dixon 20-20 one year and wondered why I hadn't thought of it before. It makes life just that much easier and it works great. Rok Straps are excellent, though.

What brand seat is that?? Looks comfy.
That's a Rick Mayer saddle, with the vinyl basket-weave cover. 2 thumbs up, 4 out of 4 stars, I love it. Well, you know, I love it in a way that wouldn't get me arrested. It's the only change I made that I really couldn't do without.

Looking around the RoadGear site I saw these.

91large.jpg

Love the idea of putting weight over the tank and engine rather than past the rear axle.

Anyone tried them?

Chris

I just added this large expanding tankbag for when I need more room than my little Cortech minitankbag:

g18039.jpg

Its a Nelson-Rigg, looks good and holds alot of stuff. You can see the zipper on the very bottom that enlarges (raises) the bag a couple inches when zipped open to allow more room.

I also have this Cortech tailbag which fits on the passenger seat and doesn't get in riders way or rear rack and holds alot as well:

g4138.jpg

About $80 each.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have this Cortech tailbag which fits on the passenger seat and doesn't get in riders way or rear rack and holds alot as well:About $80 each.

Steve
I also have that bag. You know those pictures I posted above of the Ortlieb I had stuffed with sweaters and sweatshirts for the photos? This bag, filled, is also in there. I store it inside the Ortlieb when not using 'em.

It is, in fact, a nice bag. I lost the rain cover in a crosswind somewhere in New Mexico (guess I should have put the bungee cords over the cover instead of the cover over the bungees), but it's still pretty water resistant without it. It fits nice and snug inside the Givi 52 so I've used it as a liner for that.

Looking around the RoadGear site I saw these.
91large.jpg

Love the idea of putting weight over the tank and engine rather than past the rear axle.

Anyone tried them?

Chris
i would be afraid they would scratch up the tank and plastic