Adjusting Kaoko throttle lock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
Easy install but, that set screw on the knob is a bit of a puzzle. The instructions say to “tighten until the resistance is right”. I have no idea WTF that means. Which may say more about me than it does about the instructions. Nevertheless, I still have no idea WTF that means.

Anybody?

I turn the set screw in until it was flush with the top of the hole. This puts enough resistance on the control knob so that it does not bind when in use.

If you tighten it too much it will not want to free up the throttle when you back it off. If it is too loose it will not hold speed. Hope that helps.

Walt Wunderlich

PS It took some fiddlin' to get it right.

You want that resistance to be enough to keep the control wheel from backing off and letting the speed drop. Personally, I did not put any tension on that little set screw. I just tighten the control wheel more than I would on a ThrottleMeister and it has never backed off. I agree it would probably be better to adjust the wheel tension with the set screw than to twist the control wheel that far, but each to his own.

FWIW, I have been very pleased with the Kaoko.