adjusting top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old man

Reaction score
top case fastner needs adjustig. how do i get to part that needs adjusting. cannot get inner liner out to access mechanism. has metal plate on bottom.

I don't think there's anything that can be adjusted on the top box unless something broke on the mechanism. Are you talking about the OEM box?

yes.the fastner on the bottom will not come out far enough to engage mount. was trying to avoid going to dealer.
Yeah, sounds like an internal mechanism thing. Problem is, that thing is sealed. You'd have to break into it to see what the problem is. People have done it but, I'm not quite sure what the final results were. Maybe some one will see this and chime in. Going to the dealer and at least asking questions won't hurt. Who knows, they might know of a decent fix.. Good Luck.

Not without a whole mess of luck Vic.. FJRguy "Jeff "and Canucklehead biker "jeff" had a run in with the adjusting mechanism some years back.

Seems like it was a total loss IIRC.

I tried to separate the halves of my sidecases when prepping my bike for paint last winter... Whatever the heck they use for adhesive is one mean SOB. You'll end up destroying it.

Just ended up drilling out the rivets and masking off the inside.

Not without a whole mess of luck Vic.. FJRguy "Jeff "and Canucklehead biker "jeff" had a run in with the adjusting mechanism some years back.

Seems like it was a total loss IIRC.

I tried to separate the halves of my sidecases when prepping my bike for paint last winter... Whatever the heck they use for adhesive is one mean SOB. You'll end up destroying it.

Just ended up drilling out the rivets and masking off the inside.
Damn, that Sucks! :unsure:

Give a caveman some rocks and a sharp stick and you get bust.....whatever....he wasn't using a drill....he was using a sawsall and a small axe.

edit:.....next time bust....try some fire. If you heat the glue up, it might give a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean of course, your magnesium civil disturbances and run-ins with the local fire department?

You mean of course, your magnesium civil disturbances and run-ins with the local fire department?
Why yes!! 55 gallon drum of Magnesium shavings makes for legendary entertainment. Seen from 15 miles away. :blush2:

It's been 13 years and It's still a huge topic of conversation 'round these parts. :grin:

Kinda sad the local authority's failed to find the humor.. :lol2: :lol:

I suspect the sliding tongue mechanism jumped a tooth when the top box wasn't fully down and the handle was pulled rather vigorously..... I have a sacrificial top box here where it's all cracked, I can dissect in the next day or two so you can see the mechanism. Not sure how you could jump a tooth back to original position..... as Bust said, check out the two Jeff's thread where they had a similar issue with the side bag.... presumably a similar mechanism.

There's been a couple instances where a sidecase latching mechanism has slipped a tooth on the internal gears and then won't latch securely anymore. The reported fix was to lock the case while it's off the bike, attach vise grips to the locking tab that sticks out on the inboard edge of the bag (although not sticking out far enough at this time) and then vigorously pulling up on the locking handle to force the gear to slip a tooth back to where it should be.

I suspect the same method would work on the top case also, but not being able to see it in person I can't guarantee anything.

That makes for a nice bright white fire. Im sure that lit up the area nicely.

ed

Ya don't know the half of it.. Fire dip shits wanted to douse the inferno with water after I told em what was blazing..

It was worth almost spending a night in jail.

There's been a couple instances where a sidecase latching mechanism has slipped a tooth on the internal gears and then won't latch securely anymore. The reported fix was to lock the case while it's off the bike, attach vise grips to the locking tab that sticks out on the inboard edge of the bag (although not sticking out far enough at this time) and then vigorously pulling up on the locking handle to force the gear to slip a tooth back to where it should be.

I suspect the same method would work on the top case also, but not being able to see it in person I can't guarantee anything.
Sounds like that might work. :)

And smoking a joint makes a more attentive driver.......This procedure if I'm not mistaken, pulls the mechanism even further outa whack..

Why would you pull up on something already too far up to make it align???

Joint therapy again folks.

So you're recommending to "force it"?

Sounds reasonable. I've been working in medical device engineering for the last 20 years or so and that's usually a valid solution to a sticky problem.

Just be aware of and accepting of the possible negative consequences. I would only do it if it doesn't work at all right now, i.e. it's already broken, because the possible consequences are:

1) fixing it - success

2) breaking the mechanism off in your hand - but hey "it was already broken"

3) cracking the mounting point for the mechanism - making it worse - then you could always fill it with magnesium shavings and light it up.

I wonder if there sould be a way to surgically remove the cover to the mechaism so that it could be replaced with glue, rivets, bolts, duct tape, etc.