adjusting triple clamps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter10

Reaction score
I am about to install my kouba links and wanted to educate myself on the lowering of the tree's as well. do most of you lower the front as well? If so is 1/2 a good place to start? Also is there an special advice on lowering the front? thanks!

I am about to install my kouba links and wanted to educate myself on the lowering of the tree's as well. do most of you lower the front as well? If so is 1/2 a good place to start? Also is there an special advice on lowering the front? thanks!

anyone??

anyone??
Yes, I have done it numerous times, to the point I can do it so quickly I change the height at times depending on where I plan to go-I have lowered the front as much as 3/4" or more. What works best for me is to put a floor jack (with a small block of wood on it to span the header pipes). I loosen the lower clamp first (have a bit of pressure on with the jack so nothing moves) and then move to the top clamp. Then, lower the front untill it gets to where you want it to go. After everything is loose, you might have to jiggle the jack handle a bit to get the forks to slide (doesn't take much-they are at an angle so don't tend to move untill you jiggle things a bit). The hardest part is getting the lower clamp bolts loose-if you use a low profile socket it fits better because there isn't much room-you can get room by moving the front tire untill you have enough space to manuever the socket wrench. I even ground down the hex head to make the profile even smaller. You don't have to take anything apart or off to get at the bolts-once you do it the first time you get faster at it. Just be sure to measure the distance at each fork top-but if you use a jack like I do, they usually move pretty equally. Also, don't be afraid to back out the bolts a good amount, or one bolt binds, then the other and you have to keep going back and forth on the bolts. Get a light up in there so you can see the bolts clearly-I work them from underneath (lying on the floor reaching up under the fairing). PM me if the above isn't clear or you need more info. I would say move it a bit, see how you like it and go from there. Can't move them a lot (more than an inch or so) or your fron brake connections could bottom out on the front fender, the travel is more than you might think. Also, you will loose more ground clearance the more you lower things (obviously).

anyone??
Yes, I have done it numerous times, to the point I can do it so quickly I change the height at times depending on where I plan to go-I have lowered the front as much as 3/4" or more. What works best for me is to put a floor jack (with a small block of wood on it to span the header pipes). I loosen the lower clamp first (have a bit of pressure on with the jack so nothing moves) and then move to the top clamp. Then, lower the front untill it gets to where you want it to go. After everything is loose, you might have to jiggle the jack handle a bit to get the forks to slide (doesn't take much-they are at an angle so don't tend to move untill you jiggle things a bit). The hardest part is getting the lower clamp bolts loose-if you use a low profile socket it fits better because there isn't much room-you can get room by moving the front tire untill you have enough space to manuever the socket wrench. I even ground down the hex head to make the profile even smaller. You don't have to take anything apart or off to get at the bolts-once you do it the first time you get faster at it. Just be sure to measure the distance at each fork top-but if you use a jack like I do, they usually move pretty equally. Also, don't be afraid to back out the bolts a good amount, or one bolt binds, then the other and you have to keep going back and forth on the bolts. Get a light up in there so you can see the bolts clearly-I work them from underneath (lying on the floor reaching up under the fairing). PM me if the above isn't clear or you need more info. I would say move it a bit, see how you like it and go from there. Can't move them a lot (more than an inch or so) or your fron brake connections could bottom out on the front fender, the travel is more than you might think. Also, you will loose more ground clearance the more you lower things (obviously).
Without starting a new post. Karmak, I bought a after market top bracket with risers on it for the handlebars. I was told the "ignition tampers" had to be drilled out. Also was wondering if I needed to raise front of bike with a jack to take pressure off suspension? It's not clear to me in Yamaha Manual if that's necessary.

Thanks James