Advice for Gen I Risers Compatible w/ V-Stream & V-Strom Handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harfooz

Reaction score
The subject pretty much describes it all. I'm looking for comfortable risers for my '05 Gen I that:

1. Don't require replacement of any wiring or hydraulic lines
  2. Compatible with my V-Stream windshield
  3. Compatible with my V-Strom handguards
From what I've learned from reading the manufacturer's site, Helibar risers require a relocation of the front hydraulic line, which seems very easy to do. But (not surprisingly) none of them comment on compatibility with my larger aftermarket windshield and my handguards.

I'm interested in the Helibar risers and those made by D&D which have a 10 degree rotation out. Hoping someone on the forum has either of those risers (or some other brand) and also has the same shield and handguards might be able to comment on whether or not the turn-to-lock is going to bump the handguards into the shield.

I'd really appreciate some advice about this!

Thanks very much!

'fooz

What you say for this,with unique angle adjustment,solar thermometer in and great reviews..?!:

I tried the Heli risers and the MV riser,The driving position is about the same Heli & MV,but the angle adjustment of the MV make the big difference in comfortable..!

https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Plate+Yamaha+FJR+1300+from+2003+up+to+2005+with+Solar+Thermometer.htm

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/page-1?hl=+impressions%20+adapter%20+plate

I started with the "regular" D&D riders on my '05, and later switched to the D&D 10 degree ones, as they were just a bit more comfortable for me. I also went through the stock shield, a Cee Bailey's flip shield, a VStream windshield, and now a modified CalSci. Oh yeah, at some point, fairly early on, I put on a pair of VStrom handguards.

The timing of these configurations is a bit fuzzy after several years, but I don't remember interference between the VStream and the handguards with the bars at full lock and with the 10 degree DD risers. That doesn't mean it's certain that there wasn't any, only that it didn't leave a lasting impression. And I'm pretty alert for farkles that impose further operating limitations on the bike.

Now with the CalSci windshield, I had them cut off the "wings", since the handguards already better filled that role. With that windshield full down, the handguards "just touch" at full lock, deflecting the windshield very slightly. So I'm careful to raise the windshield an inch if I'm gonna be maneuvering in a parking lot. But if I forget, it's no big deal...

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to follow-up and answer my own question!
smile.png

Using the D&D 10 degree risers on an '05 Gen I with V-Strom handguards and V-Stream windshield works fine. The clearance at turn-to-lock is tight, but not increased from where it is without the risers. That is, the handguards are moved up and back pretty much along the same upward-backward angle as the windshield. I took it on a 100-mile test ride after installation and really like the new position. In the full-down position, the air flow hits me cleanly in the face like I want for the summer temps.

I'll add some photos of the clearances and the installation later. The risers themselves are very nicely done. David at D&D was helpful both over email and calling me to talk with me about these questions. Installation was easy and did not require any cable/hose relocation or replacement.

I give them a thumbs-up!

'fooz

Here are some photos and installation help:

First, here is a look at the tight turn-to-lock clearances between the handguards and the V-Stream windshield:

4dlg.jpg

tm0o.jpg

You can see how it's much closer when turning the bars full-right than it is full-left.

So let's get the D&D 10 degree risers installed!

First, cover up the tank and plastic around where you're working:

k98c.jpg

I've already removed the decorative plastic caps off the handlebar attachment bolts. They came off with just my fingernails, so no tool was needed. Given how easily they came off, and they run around $1.25 each, I think I'll glue them on with some clear silicone sealant after I am sure the torque is set after a test ride.

Next, using a 6mm allen wrench, remove the attachment bolts. I also cleaned out accumulated dirt from the area after I removed the bolts and set the bar aside. This is after I cleaned it:

2c3z.jpg

Now we'll attach the riser. I've brought each bolt progressively up to 20 Nm.

No cables or hydraulic lines are relocated!

I've also applied Permatex Blue 242 threadlocker to the lower threads of each bolt:

ecv4.jpg

Wiggle the bar into place and fasten it using the bolts that are supplied. Here you can see the difference in the right (without the riser) and the left (with the riser). I torqued each bolt to 20 Nm.

4ob6.jpg

Lather, rinse, repeat on the other side. Here you can see a shot of the clearance between the handguard and windshield with the risers installed. Note that there is still no contact at full turn-to-lock on either side.

zn8c.jpg

After installation, I took it for a 100-mile test ride and like them! A lot! There is no more pressure in the outer edge of the heel of my palm. WooHoo! I did get some tingling in the throttle hand after about an hour, but that's probably due more to my desire to have a cruise control than anything else.
haha.gif

After the test run, I checked the torque on the fasteners that were visible. Two were just a tad bit lower than 20 Nm, so I brought them up to spec. When I get the chance, I'll get some silicone to glue the decorative bolt caps into place.

The air flow changes in a good way for me with the risers. With the V-Stream in the full-down position, the air flow is right in my face with "clean" feeling air. It's not a buffeting feeling at all with my Arai XD3 helmet. This is what I want for the summers here in SC. Now if I can figure out how to keep my Arai face shields in the up position when I hit 70+ mph!

I'd highly recommend these D&D risers to anybody looking for a more comfortable upper body position on their Gen I FJR. Comfort is improved, airflow is improved.

Dave was good to talk with and provided fast shipping and helped answer my questions. The design and finish of their risers are top quality. I like the polished look on there.

Hope this helps someone else on the fence about using these risers with their Gen I, V-Strom handguards, and V-Stream winshield.

'fooz