AE 1st ride this morn....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcruiser(aka downn2)

Reaction score
Pick up my 06AE this morn and just returned it back to the shop for it's 20 mile oil change.......Followed Motoman's breakin advice to the T! And I've never had soo much fun on a motorcycle!!!!! His instructions are for the 1st 20 miles, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT and I did..........I swear the front wheel came off the ground shifting from 1st to 2nd.....Didn't even bother to look down to see how fast I was going as I was watching out for the Fuzz in the rear view mirrors... I did it all on the intestate........I'd hit the entrance ramp and it was BALLS TO THE WALL....merge with traffic and take the next exit, downshifting like I was entering the first turn at Sega raceway...Then back on the highway and back off.......It was the best fun I've had in 40 years of riding....MAN WHAT A FREAKING MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!

The Negs....well, first of all, I keep hitting the horn button instead of the shift...Finally decided until I got used to it I should use the foot shifter which was fine......except the shifting isn't the 1 down and 4 up I've been used to forever......to get in first gear out of neutral you have to lift up, stalled it once at a light messing with it.......Plus, It took a couple of minutes in front of the dealership to figure out how to start the dang thing, as the salesman didn't even know you have to have your foot on the brake to get it to start, so everyone sat around scratching their heads while I was sitting on it trying everything I could think of. I knew I had to hit the brake in my Mercedes to get it to start so I tried that and BRRRUUUMMMM! I will never forget that first sound I heard coming out of the mufflers. It was like something you’d hear in heaven..

The Pros........This bike well exceeds my expectations in every area as performance was exactly what I was looking for,,,,Braking was superb ,,,,,auto shifting was just too kwel, I'm not gonna miss a clutch one stinking bit!!!!! And the handling, WOOOW! I'm gonna take a racing course somewhere in order to appreciate what this bike is capable of...

While they're changing the oil,,,,I'm having the dealer hardwire power to my radar detector which has a wireless transmitter which signals an led light my helmet's face shield. I've already place an order for laser jammers too and based on what other say in another post I made, I may put a CB with Police Scanner on it too.....as this bike wasn’t made for going any 55 or 60 MPH!!! It's made for flat out HAULING BUTT!!! And you can't help it!!!! It's like you’re possessed or something and the bike is controlling you…..like something out of the movie THE EXORSIST!

I wonder if the fuzz would fall for the old “THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT” line…

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Starcruiser, I suspect the more you ride it, the more you are gonna love it. FYI, the bike will also start with just the front brake being applied. I'm guessing you may already know this, but just in case.... Also, it doesn't take long for your thumb to "learn" where to be. I haven't honked when I went to shift since my first day on the bike. I didn't find it any more difficult to master than getting used to the layout on any other new motorcycle I have owned.

Five O will get 'im soon, won't be a groovy scene then. Man.

-Solstice.

How it got that outta radman, blows my mind.

Oh boy.....I mean.....Out of Sight Man !

This cat can be called Vega or Saga, ya dig.

-Vegasagaman

edit as per below

-Impetuous Savage Tomatoes

(Black Belt Tomatoe Tosser)

" I wonder if the fuzz would fall for the old “THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT” line… "

Starcruiser, I don't know if you can call it ' falling for it ' but they will only be too glad to impound that devil if you keep riding like that ! :lol:

Congrats on the new bike !

Hippy name using my real name - Solstice ( and no- its not Radman!)

Using my screen name - Wintersweet

Thats like, pretty lame man! And stop bogarting the bong dudes ...

hippie-WTF?

Fiona :blink:

Kung Fu-WTF?

Unflatering Immaculate Slaying Knuckles :blink:

somebody try FJR yet?

think I'll stick w/Bruce

just tried FJR hippie name=Mystery--so maybe there's sump'n to this after all

FJR Kung Fu name=wailing shoestrings--oooh spooky :unsure:

starcruiser, yep I agree on the kewlness of the AE. Got 2k great riding and flicking "Flicker"(its name) through the gears. wait till you get to hit the twisties, the shifting is WAY KEWL. Keep the radar on and plugged in sounds like you gona need it.

Just tell the "Fuzz" that your wife just called you and she is wearing a babydoll and has a glass of wine all poured and you were just "TRYING" to get home before she changed her mind LOL.

Glad you like the bike -- be safe though.

Congrats Starcruiser, I suspect the more you ride it, the more you are gonna love it. FYI, the bike will also start with just the front brake being applied. I'm guessing you may already know this, but just in case.... Also, it doesn't take long for your thumb to "learn" where to be. I haven't honked when I went to shift since my first day on the bike. I didn't find it any more difficult to master than getting used to the layout on any other new motorcycle I have owned.

Thanks, no I hadn't figured that out yet..Front brake huh? Kwel......I also thought that grips were hotter than hell due to they fact they were black , only to realize the grip heater was on full blast.....That was a welcome relief.....Anyway, I got it out of the dealer around 4 today and drove it home...it's about 100dg here in Dallas, so before I left my office, I pulled out my ROCKET Cooling vest and soaked it for 5 minutes in cold water in the Company cafeteria's sink.....Put it on under my MOTOPORT Kevlar Jacket and hit the road for home...it's about a 20 minute drive and all was Kewl er cool that is.....the vest even worked...I'm still cold sitting her typing this...It's been an amazing day. Can hardly wait for the rush hour traffic to subside so I can get out and rattle a few more garbage can lids..

I guess the word FUZZ sorta dates me.....Got this from from a character named MANARD G. CREEBS on the DOBIE GILLIS SHOW.....Anyone remember Ed Sullivan introducing the BEATLES out there?

I'd let my hair down, but I don't have any!!!!

Congrats on you new baby!! I know your going to love it more the longer you have it.

If you would'nt mind could you post a picture of where the heated grip controller is mounted, and if possible a picture of the wiring in the handle bar?

The reason I ask is my dealer installed the heated grips on my 06 and it looks like crap!

I was really disapointed seeing as they are standard on the AE. I tried to tell him they ordered the 05 kit not the 06 but they insisted they have the correct part.

If I show them a picture they can at least investigate.

thanks much

-=SF=-

Pick up my 06AE this morn and just returned it back to the shop for it's 20 mile oil change.......Followed Motoman's breakin advice to the T! And I've never had soo much fun on a motorcycle!!!!! His instructions are for the 1st 20 miles, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT and I did..........I swear the front wheel came off the ground shifting from 1st to 2nd.....Didn't even bother to look down to see how fast I was going as I was watching out for the Fuzz in the rear view mirrors... I did it all on the intestate........I'd hit the entrance ramp and it was BALLS TO THE WALL....merge with traffic and take the next exit, downshifting like I was entering the first turn at Sega raceway...Then back on the highway and back off.......It was the best fun I've had in 40 years of riding....MAN WHAT A FREAKING MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!
The Negs....well, first of all, I keep hitting the horn button instead of the shift...Finally decided until I got used to it I should use the foot shifter which was fine......except the shifting isn't the 1 down and 4 up I've been used to forever......to get in first gear out of neutral you have to lift up, stalled it once at a light messing with it.......Plus, It took a couple of minutes in front of the dealership to figure out how to start the dang thing, as the salesman didn't even know you have to have your foot on the brake to get it to start, so everyone sat around scratching their heads while I was sitting on it trying everything I could think of. I knew I had to hit the brake in my Mercedes to get it to start so I tried that and BRRRUUUMMMM! I will never forget that first sound I heard coming out of the mufflers. It was like something you’d hear in heaven..

The Pros........This bike well exceeds my expectations in every area as performance was exactly what I was looking for,,,,Braking was superb ,,,,,auto shifting was just too kwel, I'm not gonna miss a clutch one stinking bit!!!!! And the handling, WOOOW! I'm gonna take a racing course somewhere in order to appreciate what this bike is capable of...

While they're changing the oil,,,,I'm having the dealer hardwire power to my radar detector which has a wireless transmitter which signals an led light my helmet's face shield. I've already place an order for laser jammers too and based on what other say in another post I made, I may put a CB with Police Scanner on it too.....as this bike wasn’t made for going any 55 or 60 MPH!!! It's made for flat out HAULING BUTT!!! And you can't help it!!!! It's like you’re possessed or something and the bike is controlling you…..like something out of the movie THE EXORSIST!

I wonder if the fuzz would fall for the old “THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT” line…