AE Clutch Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Shady Side Md. / Just Outside of Annapolis Md.
I have a 07 ABS AE and had a question with the Slipper Clutch. I normally ride using the electronic switch rather than using the foot switch. At few times I shifted from 1st to 2nd and it seamed that the clutch would slip. I was taking off fast and I am not sure if this issue is something I should be concerned about or did I just not give the clutch time to fully ingage. The bike has less than 5000 miles on it. Has anyone had a similar experance? Has the slipper clutch been fully tested and proven to be worth wile?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a slipper clutch, and the computer controls the severity of the engagement. It would be (seems to me) hard to tell if it's a mechanical slippage or if the computer is just engaging slowly.

If it's the same every time under the same conditions, I vote computer. If you're already in 2nd, running about 4 or 5 thousand RPM, nail it, and the clutch slips, then I vote clutch. If it holds that condition the clutch is mechanically OK.

As for fully tested and worthwhile, it's been around for years, no stacks of busted-ass clutches AFAIK.

I'm wuderin what would happen if, (on an AE) sitting at a dead stop, hit the rev limiter, and trigger into gear....

Would the computer still control the clutch???

Seriously, what would happen??

:dntknw:

From the Yamaha site:

When I am...

Stopped in Neutral

What if I?

Hold the throttle open then shift into 1st gear

System Response

System will not shift into gear if RPM is above 1300 RPM

Normal operation if you're pretty much "on it". Somebody here mentioned that Yamaha put in some sort of anti-wheelie feature on the AE which induces some clutch slip under hard acceleration. Does it in every gear on mine. However, it will fully engage in milliseconds if you back off for an instant. Not much longer than just thinking about it. Doesn't matter if you use the foot lever or the thumb lever, same action for both.

While I've personally never seen it ...

I have it on good authority, directly from the horse's mouth -

That YES, you can wheelie an AE.

:ph34r: