Periodic Maintenance Schedule

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjd

Reaction score
Went to FJR1300.info to print out a periodic maintenance schedule and I keep getting one of 2 sites -- Great Pacific Northwest Dryside Gather or another of Marc Lewis' web sites. Been clicking the link for about a week. Eventually found the site at:

FJR1300

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not clear enough on my orinal post. I'm getting the problem when I click the link. Also if I just type FJR1300.info into a browser get the same problem.
Yeah, I experienced the same problem about a week ago. I figured HMarc had shut down the site. Weird.

Was not clear enough on my orinal post. I'm getting the problem when I click the link. Also if I just type FJR1300.info into a browser get the same problem.
Yeah, I experienced the same problem about a week ago. I figured HMarc had shut down the site. Weird.
HMarc had a note that the site was hacked on approximately April 20th. Expected to have it back up in a week or so. Site's back up now...there's a wealth of info there, glad to have it back!

--G

I don't think I do, though I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Purdue '88. I've been riding for 54 years now, raced RMs in the '80s and have always done my own auto and motorcycle maintenance. But your jackass comment comes with some very low level appreciation. I'm thinking the marketing and business units put their hands in this to maximize money the dealerships can make by more frequent visits to their service departments. Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
But your jackass comment comes with some very low level appreciation.
Any more of a jackass comment than your statement, below?
The spreadsheet is laughable as it says to change engine oil every 6 months. Give me a break. There are many items on there, like clean and gap spark plugs every 4k miles. Jesus H Christ!

I would hardly call a collection of manufacturer's recommendations laughable. As for engine oil, I would change based upon mileage and not worry about going well over the 4,000 mile recommendation if I accrued those miles over the course of a long trip doing several hundred miles per day. If, on the other hand, I put 2,000 miles on my oil in six months with daily 5 mile commutes (each way) in stop-and-go traffic, I would suggest that the oil might be past ready for a change. No set of specifications are suitable for all riders and all sets of conditions. When in doubt, go with what Yamaha says.

Granted, there are things that do not require attention as often as the Owner's manual suggests, but there is nothing wrong with what was included in the spreadsheet. (Personally, I have no intention of changing hydraulic hoses every four years, but I examine them for cracks or bulges every season.) My spark plugs get changed when I do a valve check which is well outside the recommended 8,000 mi. interval - and maybe not then if I am using iridium plugs and they still look good.

Use the information as a guide and change what you feel is necessary. No need to crap on someone for gathering specifications and Periodic Maintenance information together in a form that a user may use to keep track of past maintenance and future needs. If you don't like it, don't use it or edit the intervals to what YOU see as appropriate.

I'm sure people would have found fault if the author had chosen to unilaterally modify Yamaha's schedule.