AE owners past and present

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Dreamer

Reaction score
Can past and present AE owners chime in on whether or not they would get the AE model again. I haven't really seen any negative comments here on the AE model to date. I'm still deciding on which model to get. Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Vintage FJR Rider and have owned an 05 non-ABS, Gen I and still have an 06 AE, Gen II. Both of them are great bikes and served me very well in local rides and the various IBA rides and rallies I have used them in.

To answer your question, yes I would and will purchase another FJR 1300 AE if they are continued to be available. I adapted to the AE very quickly and felt very comfortable with riding it in any conditon. There is no question in my riding that there are some times that being able to feather the clutch lever on the non-AE can come in handy, such as being stopped and needing to accelerate with the handlebars in a full l or r lock position. But, with riding experience on it, it performs wonderfully in any situation.

As I live in southern CA, LA, there are many times that I have to do "lane sharing". The AE makes it much less tiring in that situation.

It is also very nice to have the OEM grip heaters.

Either bike is a real WINNER, in IMHO!

Hope this is useful.

I am a current AE owner.

If, my bike was to get totaled or something I would without a doubt get and AE again. I really enjoy the bike.

I am a current AE owner, and if I were to get another FJR -- it would be the AE model.

I have no regrets!

Can past and present AE owners chime in on whether or not they would get the AE model again. I haven't really seen any negative comments here on the AE model to date. I'm still deciding on which model to get. Thanks...

I am a current AE owner. When my previous AE was totaled I did purchase another and still have it.

Eric

I had an'04 and I have an AE. I like them both. I think the '04 handled better, but my '06 AE is slightly easier to ride. I miss the clutch lever sometimes. But I'm ambivilant, I guess. I would be happy with any FJR, they are just that good all around.

I agree with Turbodave, it's a little weird to do the full acceleration from left or right full lock. Like trying to accelerate out of a stopped lane into one where the cars are going 30+. However, it's just a matter of practice (which I've unfortunately not done enough). Most of us grew up with the "honk on the throttle, slip the clutch like mad and GO" type of technique. With the AE, it just hooks up and you GO! Lots of power and torque so no fear of stalling out, which was probably where the other technique came from, fear of stalling out in fast moving traffic.

I've also got a '96 Triumph Trophy, my "guest" touring bike. I really like them both. I'd probably get another AE, I understand they've worked out the throttle snatch problem on the '08's, that was my only complaint. However, I'd wait around for a little while and see if you can pick one up for a deal. They are such a niche bike, a lot of dealers want to move them by dropping the price

I've been really happy with my '06 AE. Would I do it again? Definitely.

There are new designs starting to show up from other manufactures and it will be interesting to see how they compare. I like the concept Yamaha chose with standard clutch and transmission being activated by computer controlled hydraulics. For me the programming of the YCCS works great.

The only reason I got the FJR was because of its electric gear-change, I got severe pain in my (arthritic) left little finger using the clutch on my Triumph Trophy. So it goes without saying that I have no choice!

Dreamer,

To be fair. There are times I would not mind having control over the clutch.... There are a million times I am damn happy to not have one

I feel I know my AE pretty well. I can control the YCCS system to a fairly finite level.

Here is an example of wanting a clutch, not a big deal but an example still.

Very very slow traffic starts to move, the YCCS does not "Lock out" (think torque converter) until some magical low speed is met then the engine is locked (clutch fully engaged) and I can putter. With a clutch I would let it out slowly then let the bike come up off idle to pace slow moving traffic.

With the AE, it is like riding the clutch feathered, somtimes for a bit....... It works fine, but feels different. Once it is engeaged all is the same.

This is only a 1st gear phenom...... from gear to gear there is no slip... if you dont want there to be... Or it can be created (slip) with throttle technique between gears

There, now you have a negative (opposing point of view) It is the only thing I can think of that is negative.....

I do love the paddle shifter. I almost never use the foot shifter unless my hand is busy opening or closing a vent, adjusting my visor,,, stuff like that.... Then I flick of the foot and I am in a new gear... no clutch action required

I really, really like my AE. I would buy another one if:

1. I liked the (new) color (hint to Yamaha, and completely wishful thinking)

2. I was buying used, not new. I am not sure the premium for a new one is worth it to me personally, but once they are used the prices seem to even out. I bought my 06 with just 2k on the clock. It was a bargain IMHO.

I just hit 10k and the bike just seems to be wearing in, on this class of bike it would be tough for me to go back to a manual clutch, it does kind of spoil you.

-off to ride now before it freekin' rains again.

-t

I have an '06 AE and an '07 VStar 1300. Comparing the two when driving in Houston traffic is comparing sitting on a beach on Maui and shoveling sand on that same beach. I will continue to put the AE at the top of my list when considering a replacement, though I am not considering replacing the bike I have now.

I still think the AE owners are the leading edge of the future. BRP is bringing the clutch-leverless CanAm spyder to the market, though it is really a centrifugal clutch rather than the electronic control of the AE. There are continuing rumors of either a semi or full automatic Gold Wing. Look at how many peoplle could be added to the riding fraternity if they did not have full manual clutch system we had always had. My wife never learned to drive a manual trans car. When she took the MSF course working a clutch was her biggest challenge.

The negative publicity the AE received from the press has not swayed me at all. Yamaha went out on a limb to bring the AE to the market and was promptly slapped by the press who were intent on looking for anything negative they could dream up. Those of us who have many thousands of miles on our AEs can tell you the press incorrect in their judgment. No bike is perfect, not even the AE, but it's pretty damn good and I don't for a minute regret choosing the AE over the A.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!! :bike:

I have an '06 AE and an '07 VStar 1300. Comparing the two when driving in Houston traffic is comparing sitting on a beach on Maui and shoveling sand on that same beach. I will continue to put the AE at the top of my list when considering a replacement, though I am not considering replacing the bike I have now.
I still think the AE owners are the leading edge of the future. BRP is bringing the clutch-leverless CanAm spyder to the market, though it is really a centrifugal clutch rather than the electronic control of the AE. There are continuing rumors of either a semi or full automatic Gold Wing. Look at how many peoplle could be added to the riding fraternity if they did not have full manual clutch system we had always had. My wife never learned to drive a manual trans car. When she took the MSF course working a clutch was her biggest challenge.

The negative publicity the AE received from the press has not swayed me at all. Yamaha went out on a limb to bring the AE to the market and was promptly slapped by the press who were intent on looking for anything negative they could dream up. Those of us who have many thousands of miles on our AEs can tell you the press incorrect in their judgment. No bike is perfect, not even the AE, but it's pretty damn good and I don't for a minute regret choosing the AE over the A.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!! :bike:
I'm really glad to hear all of the positive comments. I get really nervous when I read all of the things on this forum about the different things going wrong on the FJRs and how lots of folks are having to fix this and that at 5, 10 and 15k miles. I'm no motorcycle mechanic and I don't have a shop, but I love to ride. The FJR is a pretty sophisticated machine, and I bought it because I kept reading how reliable they are. With all of the negatives that I've been seeing on this forum I was even thinking about looking at a Victory Vegas. Aside from the fuel injection, they are a pretty straight forward and simple machine. Keep up the positive reinforcement.

Thanks,

Biscuit