AE Redline shifts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmax

Reaction score
I have really got the shifting and control of my AE nailed after owning it for 1.5 years now, and can honestly say I can do everything with it as well as I can do it with a clutch bike at this point. The only thing I have found I really dont like is that when I wind the bike out hard and shift to the next gear the clutch slips mercilessly as the computer takes its good old time re-engaging it. Is everybodys like this? If not I am wondering if there is a way to adjust it and eliminate this clutch lining wearing glitch? So AE guys, tell me what your WFO shifting is like.

Thanks

Roy

You didn't indicate how you perform the shift at red-line.

If you just pull the trigger (or foot shift), the clutch engagement is slow.

If you time the shift with reverse-blipping the throttle, the engagement is much faster, and much reduced slippage!

You didn't indicate how you perform the shift at red-line.
If you just pull the trigger (or foot shift), the clutch engagement is slow.

If you time the shift with reverse-blipping the throttle, the engagement is much faster, and much reduced slippage!
I couldnt even think about powershifting it. I am backing off the throttle and nailing the shift and there is still way more clutch slippage than I am comfortable with.

Roy

I tend to back off a bit doing regular shifts but it seems to me when I am hammering it I get better shift performance when I stay on the throttle while shifting

I have found the same thing on my 06AE the clutch does slip as compared to a standard clutch bike but I did not do red line shifts. I suggest you consider the Y.E.S warranty incase to clutch goes south with red line shifts.

Max hp is proably in the 7600 -8000 rpm. Try shifting ay 7600 rather than deal with the 9000+ redline. Less rpms for your auto-clutch to deal with.

I redline shift often. A reverse blip on the throttle, just a blip, timed right, and runs like a raped ape. you will not hurt it.

Practice if it is important to you. Be careful, bouncing off the rev limiter can be disconcerting at wrong time.....

Be one with the bike. She has many personalities. When I am redline shifting my blip is nothing like my, hot quite redline, close, gitter done, or freeway onramp shift. not to mention my regular antisquid shift..............

I always pratice on a closed course, of course... Please note my crash club icon.... Practice if it is important, be careful, the rev limiter is a bitch

Last edited by a moderator: