AE shifting question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So MC,...... That would make it an AEES over here? I'll buy one in a New York second. I don't care what they call it.
smile.png
If they follow the designation history of the UK, yours would be simply called an AE. At least here, the YCC-S variant comes with the fancy suspension, and is still called the "AS". Otherwise mine would be called an "ASAE", which it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
So MC,...... That would make it an AEES over here? I'll buy one in a New York second. I don't care what they call it. :)
If they follow the designation history of the UK, yours would be simply called an AE. At least here, the YCC-S variant comes with the fancy suspension, and is still called the "AS". Otherwise mine would be called an "ASAE", which it isn't.
I'd buy one if they call it an XYZ, Mc. I wouldn't mind it one bit! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, on my Gen III YCC-S (unavailable State-side), it does properly deal with the engine speed. Its smoothest changes are made by not moving the throttle, smoothest of all if in touring mode, but I rarely use that. (Found that out when taking a passenger.)
That's what fly-by-wire throttle gets you. Computer can't do anything for the motor (except timing as mentioned before) with a heavy hand on the grip when the cables go directly to the throttle pulley.

It's my first real bike so I'm getting used to the quirks of the beast. But it is very comfortable and shit is it quick! I have only been riding for a year and a half and in that time I put 18,000 miles on the NC700. The FJR has 30,000 on it so I hope I get many miles out of it

It's my first real bike so I'm getting used to the quirks of the beast. But it is very comfortable and shit is it quick! I have only been riding for a year and a half and in that time I put 18,000 miles on the NC700. The FJR has 30,000 on it so I hope I get many miles out of it
Service it properly, it'll keep going "for ever". They're good bikes.

The Advanced Edition FJR will shift all by itself without touching any buttons or switches but you have to be able to think in Japanese....

firefox-japanese-movie-poster-82-clint-eastwood.jpg

For this weekend I plan on the throttle cam mod, return spring mod, already bought some delkevic slip ons so now its PAIR block off plates and a power commander. If I'm going that deep into the bike then might as well do the spark plugs and a TBS too. And while I'm at it I'm picking up some Amsoil 20W-40 synthetic and doing an oil change. The valve clearance check will have to wait till next month when I have more then just Sunday off.

I'd caution against the spring return mod. At least until you can compare with another FJR. You don't know if the previous owner did it and I can tell you from experience, rewinding that thing is a pain in the rear. I undid mine and it wouldn't pull completely closed.

On the other hand, when it wouldn't pull completely closed I had myself a nice 5mph cruise control. Beat that Gen III FJR's!

Here's my thread on my own deep dive. 2007 like yours, so it needed all those mods. Works much better, I'd say its 95% there, which has been plenty good enough.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145160

I just used my dremel to modify the throttle tube because I made the mistake of not knowing the AE has a different tube. Oh well, it actually worked out pretty well

Here's my thread on my own deep dive. 2007 like yours, so it needed all those mods. Works much better, I'd say its 95% there, which has been plenty good enough.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145160
gixxerjason,

I read your other thread. Nice work. How did you get the heated grip off and then reinstalled onto the G2 without damaging it?

I thought there was no way to get it off without having to replace it.

I did the throttle spring unwind on my 07 shortly after getting it. I popped the spring off the catch and it violently whipped around with me having no idea how many times it spun around. It came to rest with a small gap between the spring and the catch, so that the throttle needs to be moved a hair before the spring starts providing resistance. There's still another spring on the end of the throttle bodies, so there's always some "return to idle" tension.

Really improved the throttle action, but it doesn't snap back when rolling down the road. I suppose the safety Nazis would be in a tizzy about this, but I move the throttle in both directions when riding and so it hasn't bothered me. It's actually nice to be able to take my hands off the bars to pull a zipper and not have the bike slow dramatically in the process (I have a cruise control installed, but won't engage it for such a quick maneuver).

I had always wondered if perhaps the spring had spun around more than once, but I'm sure it was only one turn due to another forum member report. Someone reported a while back that they attached a string to the spring and then carefully released the spring one turn and it ended up with the same gap that I have.

gixxerjason,I read your other thread. Nice work. How did you get the heated grip off and then reinstalled onto the G2 without damaging it?

I thought there was no way to get it off without having to replace it.
I believe I searched for that. Seems I remember doing the air gun under the grip thing. No way I was shelling out the $$$ Yamaha want's for that unobtanium.
Someone reported a while back that they attached a string to the spring and then carefully released the spring one turn and it ended up with the same gap that I have.
That's me in the link above.
biggrin.png