AE????????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityboy21

Reaction score
To those that have the AE FJR, do you like it and was it hard to get used to? I was just at a dealer close by that has a left over 07 AE that I can get for about $13k out the door. I think I still want the black 08 but was curious as to how people like the AE.

Thanks guy's. I did a search and was reading some of the pros and cons. Not sure I like the idea of not being able to launch the bike from a stand still. Seems to me you would have to give up a bit of control not having the clutch. I use the clutch on my bike now to better balance it in slow moving traffic. I will be using the bike to commute to work and back daily which covers about 130 miles roundtrip. It's about 99% highway riding and the hours I work pretty much put me in a position where I avoid traffic. I'm still leaning towards the 08 black and not sure paying extra for the AE would be worth it for me. Also not sure the 10% that the AE crowd makes up of FJR owners would be beneficial when it comes time to sell.

I Love mine. If I were to need to replace the bike, I would prefer an AE now that I have experienced it. It is easier to shift while in a lean, and I actually always up-shift with the left hand, while down-shifting with the left foot. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to (if that).

Thanks guy's. I did a search and was reading some of the pros and cons. Not sure I like the idea of not being able to launch the bike from a stand still. Seems to me you would have to give up a bit of control not having the clutch. I use the clutch on my bike now to better balance it in slow moving traffic. I will be using the bike to commute to work and back daily which covers about 130 miles roundtrip. It's about 99% highway riding and the hours I work pretty much put me in a position where I avoid traffic. I'm still leaning towards the 08 black and not sure paying extra for the AE would be worth it for me. Also not sure the 10% that the AE crowd makes up of FJR owners would be beneficial when it comes time to sell.
bro the AE is a huge + on the freeway with traffic. you can relax your fingers in the stop and go areas.

launching the fjr from a stand still is quite easy, just roll on it and hang on.

the only issue is slow parking lot maneuvers with the on/off throttle response, but like all things you learn how to deal with it.

Not launch from a stand-still?

It's pretty easy on the AE. 1) Twist right wrist sharply. 2) Hold on as front wheel comes off the ground.

I didn't think I'd like the AE either, but I got offered an '07 for 11k, and I couldn't say no. It's not that hard to get used to, it's just different. Nothing about having a clutch that judicious use of the throttle and trail-braking can't do on an AE.

I really like it in traffic, since it takes a lot of load off your left hand.

Took me 10 minutes to get use to it. I would definitely buy another. I find myself sometimes riding my Duc and reaching for the shifter paddle :lol:

QUOTE (cityboy21 @ Aug 12 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Not sure I like the idea of not being able to launch the bike from a stand still. ...
On the contrary, it has a built-in launch control. Just dial in the acceleration you want by the angle of the twist-grip.

... Seems to me you would have to give up a bit of control not having the clutch. I use the clutch on my bike now to better balance it in slow moving traffic. ...
As others have said, you learn a different technique. I do a horrible highly-trafficked little commute through heavy, stop-go traffic. I simply don't have a control problem.

... Also not sure the 10% that the AE crowd makes up of FJR owners would be beneficial when it comes time to sell.
You'll want to keep it so long the resale value won't be an issue.
yahoo.gif

In all honesty, the only control issue I have is if I do a tight turn at low speed with the clutch fully engaged. If you slow, the clutch will suddenly disengage and leave you leaned over with no drive. You have to learn to slow enough BEFORE the turn to let the clutch disengage, then apply sufficient throttle and a little back brake to control the speed. Once learned, much easier to do than to say. (I do this every time I enter my drive and when I park at work.)

I am very happy with mine.

(I did an early write-up here, it may be of some interest to you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like my AE after 1 year and 13k miles. It's really not an issue re:control, that's a red herring from people who hate the idea on principle. You have no idea of how well it actually does work overall. Once you put some miles on it you absolutely forget about it, then start wondering why there's not more bikes like it. I think I've only seen a couple forum members not like theirs in retrospect. It's definitely not for everyone though, so I wouldn't hard sell anyone on them. I like new tech, so I took a chance.

On resale, they do seem to have an issue moving them from dealers, old prejudices die hard and you do pay a premium for the AE. But once used, they seem to sell just fine. It took me months to find one used in SoCal, and it wasn't dirt cheap either, I paid a very fair price for a low mileage 2006.

I bet the dealer would let it out the door cheaper too.

As for launching, aside from the twist and hope for the best method I find that if I give a little fuel and hold the brake it is ready to go when I am. So you let the brake loose and give her gas and it's on. And not that I make a habit of it but I have lit the rear wheel at a light and you can power brake her till the tire is gone. I like mine and am glad I got it. It will take you maybe 10 stop and goes to get used to it. When your riding though any discomfort you have at a light is well worth it.

To those that have the AE FJR, do you like it and was it hard to get used to? I was just at a dealer close by that has a left over 07 AE that I can get for about $13k out the door. I think I still want the black 08 but was curious as to how people like the AE.
Had been away from bikes for a number of years until I found my AE. No problem getting accustomed the e-shift at all. I really appreciate it on switchbacks, two lane mountain roads, etc. I've even wondered if I could ever go back to a clutch lever.

Not sure I like the idea of not being able to launch the bike from a stand still.
Huh? snap the throttle and your front wheel is off the ground! The AE is made for you buddy, no dealing with the clutch in hwy traffic, youd love it. You still can control the clutch but its a matter of throttle position, hard to explain but it becomes 2nd nature real quick. I love the 08 grey AE, I have on 06 and have been considering trading it just for the great color. I think its much nicer then the Raven.

To AE or Not to AE, either way you'll have a nice bike.

DUDE.... 07' AE @ a stop light 0-60 in ~1.5 seconds, and I wasn't even trying that hard. Oh and btw last week I saw 145 in a strait away on a trip south of Delta Juction after a trip to Fairbanks. Just buy it, you will love it.

I may be wrong but I think it is easier to go very slow on the AE. I love it in every way

Wow, really appreciate all the responses. Found another 07 AE that is brand new and still in the box that would run me about $11500 out the door. Decisions decisions. I have someone driving 4 hours tomorrow to come look at my Ultra. Hopefully we can come to an agreement so I can pick up an FJR soon. On vacation this week and next so would definitely like to get something soon so I can get some riding in.

The Ultra just sold so let the shopping begin. Really want to see the 08 in black in person. Guess I'll be on the phone for a bit the next couple days.

I hope you aren't basing the decision on the 0-60 in 1.5 comment. That was in jest of course. But it is a great bike.

Glenn