AE????????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've abandoned the foot shifter all together. I learned it is way easier for me to do all my shifts with my index finger instead of using my thumb for down shifts.
I have no issues riding twisties with other sport bikes.

I would defiantly buy another if given the chance.

I need to add to my previous comment.

I've abandoned the foot shifter so completely that a few times I've forgotten to hit the over ride button for the hand shift then take off hard.........pretty embarrassing going for the second gear shift that doesn't happen. :glare: Wish i could figure out a way to just keep the over ride on full time.

Mike

Last year one of our members fabricated a small circuit board that does just that - automaticly turn on the thumb button enabeling the paddle shift.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Trust me, IT WORKS GREAT!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
clicky
I don't know if he is still doing it but you may want to inquire about it.

I think it's arguably one of the best farkles on my bike.

Brodie

I've abandoned the foot shifter all together. I learned it is way easier for me to do all my shifts with my index finger instead of using my thumb for down shifts.
I have no issues riding twisties with other sport bikes.

I would defiantly buy another if given the chance.

I need to add to my previous comment.

I've abandoned the foot shifter so completely that a few times I've forgotten to hit the over ride button for the hand shift then take off hard.........pretty embarrassing going for the second gear shift that doesn't happen. :glare: Wish i could figure out a way to just keep the over ride on full time.
have that happen to me on occasion too.

Let's add one more facet to the equation...
Think of it - no clutch lever.
This is great potential for some classic double takes. :ermm: I sometimes group ride with people new to me, I love to drive with my left hand in my jacket pocket in stop and go traffic.

One time I rode with a group of vets parading across town to a war memorial in a city park. Lots of flags mounted to their V Twins. I pull up on my Fej, open my trunk and pull out my collapsable flag pole. No time to mount it to the bike (yes I do have a spot to put it), I hold it with my left hand. Stop and go, slow and go, parking lot maneuvers, that tends to turn a few heads.

I think it's cool! :thumbsupsmiley:

Indeed! I went to one of Pridmore's CLASS track days. While doing the accell and then clutch and stop, I got Reg in my row as observer. When I stopped, I told him I must have dropped the clutch lever back in turn 4 or something. He totally took the hook and told me to quick go back and find it, even though I did a good job stopping without it!

Cityboy21,

I agree with all these guys. I have an 06AE and it did take less than a tank full to master it.

DO IT!!! It will change your life, you'll never go back. The bike itself is just FLAT-OUT-BITCHIN!!

The paddle shifter is no more than the sweetest tasting icing on the best cake you ever had in your life!!!

Trust me on this one. You'll be happy you did.

AE is great. Awesome in traffic, shifts faster than I could do it on my own. It would be nice to not have to remember to push that button to activate the hand shifter though, that has caught me a few times. It would also be a bummer to rev the engine up at idle to show off for the scooter next to you and find it was actually in first...

QUOTE (Beamer Reamer @ Aug 26 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AE is great. Awesome in traffic, shifts faster than I could do it on my own. It would be nice to not have to remember to push that button to activate the hand shifter though, that has caught me a few times. It would also be a bummer to rev the engine up at idle to show off for the scooter next to you and find it was actually in first...

The guy who leads the tours in Scotland I frequently go on, when he first sees my bike, says

"Can I have a go?"

"Yes", says I, "it's in gear, just open the throttle, it'll go."

So he sits on it, and, like you might do at the lights, blips the throttle.

"Chriiiiiisssssttttt" I hear, as he disappears into the distance.

He comes back, all sheepish, says

"That's the first bike that's ever scared me."

That was two years ago. He rang me up a couple of days ago. He's sold his '04 FJR (60000 miles) to someone he knows, and he's getting a new FJR.

"They offered me one like yours for a good price, but I'm going to have one with a proper clutch lever."

He does ride over some pretty difficult roads (click on image for larger view)

where even I after two years with my AS would rather have conventional clutch control. But, as I've said before, I wouldn't still be motorcycling if it wasn't for the electric change. Different horses for different courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done that TWICE and both times after getting off a long ride to get gas and right back on the freeway. I wish it would default t the hand shifter.

I have done that TWICE and both times after getting off a long ride to get gas and right back on the freeway. I wish it would default t the hand shifter.
I try to use the hand shifter exclusively, and use it to get the bike in Neutral before I start the bike. That way I am guaranteed that the hand shifter is engaged.