Aerostich aerostich.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudmanz

Reaction score
Aerostich.com is one heck of a vendor. Here is my story, I purchased a Glorb LED Lantern from them. When it arrived it didn't work. I call them on the phone and a very nice young lady listen to my story and said all I had to do was send it back with the return form included with the order. I explained to her I was leaving on a very long trip monday and asked if she could help me get a replacement quick. The company overnighted a new Lantern to me with a return shipping label with it. Is this company the best or what. You can't do wrong buying from aerostich.com

The new light arrived and it is working great. If you what a small LED Lantern check out aerostich.com

Here is the link to the lantern https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Glorb-...rn-p-18291.html

I am one happy customer :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish my experience was as great as the previous poster, but it's not.

Approximately 2.5 years ago I purchased a Darien jacket and pants along with their Kanetsu (sp?) electric jacket liner. Shortly after receiving the suit, the electric liner failed with it only partially heating. :( I paid to ship it back and they repaired it for free. I understand that sometimes things fail and even though it cost me a few bucks, they did fix it.

Last month I was on a week long trip with the wife and I gave her the liner to wear because she's easily chilled and I'm a tough guy :lol: . She complained that her arms weren't getting warm. When we got back home I checked it out and sure enough both sleeves and part of the body weren't heating. This liner should draw 5 amps, but was only drawing 2 amps. :angry:

I should note that I am very careful with my stuff and in no way have abused the liner. I've never even crumpled it into the integrated storage pouch because I didn't want to stress the wiring in the liner.

I talked to their repairs dept and expressed my concern about spending any more money on a product that's prone to failure and is no longer covered under warranty. I was told to send it in and they could probably fix it or maybe even replace it under warranty. Today I get the call and am told it has multiple breaks in the heater wiring and is not repairable. They offered me a 25% discount on a new one. HA! :headbonk: Why would I want to buy another defective liner?

Looks like Gerbing is getting any future business from me because a Lifetime warranty at least will get the liner fixed if it fails. Oh yea, I told them that.

As a follow up to my post above, I was shopping for a replacement liner but was really annoyed at the prospect of having to spend $200 when I really should still have a functioning liner at hand. So I decided to be the "squeeky wheel" and emailed a handful of people at Aerostich, including the president & head of customer service & head of repairs. A week or two later, I get a reply and an offer to warranty my liner. A new Aerostich liner arrived over the weekend along with a prepaid shipping label to send the old one back.

Although I had to go to extra lengths to get results, I'm back to being happy with Aerostich customer service. I just hope that this replacement liner holds up because I don't think they will be too willing to replace it if it fails a couple years down the road.

I live in the Pacific North West, and have been wearing Aerostich Suits for almost 20 years. I routinely commute between Portland and San Francisco on my bike and that means riding in all weathers. Basically, if it not snowing, I ride. I have never had a problem with an Aerostich suite and basically live in mine while on the road. With a properly cared for 'Stich, you do not need additional rain gear. Like any other important MC gear, it needs regular maintenance. In this case, regular washing, including wash-in durable surface protection to keep the outer level conditioned so it will not absorb water, which has the effect of limiting breathability. I have had several different models but mostly use the the two piece Road Crafter as I find it the most versatile. The various garments usually last me from 7 to 10 years of very hard use.

A few years ago, I purchased a new jacket in Hi Viz Yellow. the same great jacket I always wear, but much more visible than the usual black and silver I normally use. After only a few months, the yellow had faded dramatically. It was still highly visible, so I didn't really think about it much. About the time I noticed it, I got a very formal letter from AeroStich announcing a RECALL! Who ever heard of a recall for a garment, even such an expensive one? I called in to find out the details. No details. Their records showed that my jacket was from a dye batch of material that was fading prematurely. How about that, a record of the dye batch of my jacket... As it turned out I actually had decided on a slightly different jacket size and asked about that. No problem, I was getting a new jacket and if I wanted a different size that was fine too.

Anyway, my experience with the actual garments has been splendid. They are a permanent part of my riding life. That little story is indicative of my experience with the company, but isn't the only thing. I am a weird size, and generally have to order some mods up front to get a good fit. No problem there, even if I have to send them back to get it completely right.

If you are odd sized, I think Aerostitch can't be beat. My pants are 36" Waist and 38" Inseam. Good luck finding anything close to that in riding gear.

I called them up to order a pair of Dariens cut long. After a brief chat with the girl on the phone she said something to the effect of "With a 38" inseam, and a riding position like the FJR, you need pants with a steep knee bend. You should get the AD1 pants instead."

I was pretty impressed. She knew her products, knew what an FJR was, and cared enough to say something. Even though they state that they can add 3" to the length of the pants, we ended up needing more than that, and they were able to accommodate me without any hassle at all. For the first time in my life I have riding pants that don't rise to shin level with my legs folded under me. It cost a few extra dollars, but it is worth every cent to me.

So if you are a rider that doesn't fit into standard sized clothing, and that fact bothers you...give them a try. I'm sold.

Joe

I found the customer service to be awesome. Stacey Nephew patiently explained to me, how they can get a near custom fit, which is what I needed. She took my details and recommended a size, knowing that the sleeves and pant legs would be way too long. I ordered that size, found it to be a bit too snug, so returned it and got the next size. That was a perfect fit, so I measured how much the sleeves needed to be shortened above, and below the elbow. Same thing with the pants, above and below the knee. That way, the armor stays in the right place. Every other piece of riding gear I own has the knee and elbow pads in the wrong place for me.

SInce taking delivery of the suit, I have worn it every single day on the bike. On vacation, the temp got as low as 34 and as high as 106. The only riding gear I took with me was my Roadcrafter, gloves, boots and helmet. It rained for ten of the fourteen days but I didn't get wet once.

When we got home, the suit was far from pristine. I wasn't going to wash it. Only rookies have brand spanking new gear, right? Then I realized that the suit hangs on the door of a very small, shared office each day. It wasn't fair to my office mates so I washed the suit. It came up beautifully. OK, so I look like a rookie but a clean one.

Dirt embedded in fabric will break down the fibers. That will make the suit "softer" with time, but isnt really good for it. Aerostich even recommends Nik wash and then the Nik wax re-treat that you wash into the suit. Cheap insurance for a very expensive garment investment. After some miles and a few washings; you sure wont look like a shiny new rookie. Its all good. :p

Suit + boots/shoes + time in the dryer = Good break in for Stich. I used this method a few times when I first got my Roadcrafter 7 years ago and it got it just past the the cardboard phase. Since then, it gets the Techwash/Nikwax treatment at least once a year, maybe two if the suit's getting rank, lol. Fits like a glove. Planning to send it back to them this winter to have them perform their maintenance check on it...the velcro needs renewal and I'd like to get the waterproof zippers installed (mine has never leaked on me).