Aerostich Studs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I just installed 200 Aerostich studs (4706) in a couple of dunlop 606 tires but I need a few more. Aerostich will only sell 100 at a time and I only need 25. Would anyone be interested in splitting on a box? They run about $1.00/stud.

SAM_1066_zps754f0c12.jpg

SAM_1065_zps0402ca40.jpg

SAM_1064_zpsff77187a.jpg

SAM_1062_zps9556157c.jpg

This really is a great way to play in the winter but I need a few more studs.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time I saw those studs in the catalog, I suspected they were one of Rider Warehouse's joke ads, like the suit stretching spray.

I can't help you with the studs--don't think they'd be that good on a set of Pilot Roads--but your bike sure as hell looks like a fun way to pass some winter days. You ought to get some video of how it goes and post it up.

If the studs don't work, you can use chains too. My friend has a chain setup that works well, good luck :)

The studs work well, I just want a few more but thanks for the note. Chains suck on the dry pavement. I like the flexibility of the studs.

Canadian FJR

Now that looks fun. It's been years since I ran about a 1000 .25" hex head sheet metal screws into a worn set of knobbies on my motocrosser. Unbelievable traction (for a while.. until they started ripping out) in glare ice. Not so much in snow.

I'm looking at a set of 606's for my CRFL when the current OEM's are getting toasty. The OEM's aren't a bad split, but they suck moist ass cheese in sand and mud. I got to ride the sales guys Varadero with 606's and was shocked how well they did on the pavement.

Are the carbide-tipped studs really worth the $$$? Had a quick look on the net and the $1.00/stud is the average price for the carbide ones but non-carbide are many times cheaper. I guess it depends on how much pavement riding you have to do vs ice and snow. I expect the pavement would eat the all-metal studs pretty quickly.

Bungie - The 606s are a fantastic tire. They work very well in the woods, dirt roads and as you mentioned surprisingly well on the pavement. I've been known to be able to keep up to a couple of FJR riders on the old KLR with a set of the 606s on. I just bought my son a set for his 350 and I'm sure he will be just as happy as me with them.

Ross - Time will tell on how they will hold up but I have been speaking with Paul Mondor (Iceman) a number of times and they have worked very well for him on his cross Canada trips and Lab Highway rides in the winter. I have no plans to put that kind of miles on these. The great thing about them is that I can simply unscrew them in the spring and do this all over again next winter.

Moosehead - What else can be said.............you are a stud.

Now, back to my first request - is anyone interested in splitting on a box of studs?

Canadian FJR

Scott - I am envious of your winter hobby! This thread may just inspire me to expand my horizons and adopt a winter activity similar to yours. I am really not into snowmobiles but your unconventional winter hobby scratches me where it itches.