Aerostitch road crafter suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesparado

Reaction score
I am considering getting a road crafter suit for long distance trips. I live in California on the coast and that is where I do most my riding. I was wondering what would be better, a one piece suit or the two piece suit? Advantages disadvantages? I like the idea of a two piece suit just because you can change the jacket if it gets too hot.

Matt

I love my Roadcrafter jacket with Darien AD1 pants combo. Best of everything, at least in my opinion. Oh so stylish, too! Look, they even have the new easy-open fly!

0901WhiteStag_p%20(11).JPG

As Texan stated, you'll get LOTS of opinions on this question... here's mine.

I have a one-piece Roadcrafter, have had for 10 yrs since I lived in SoCal...

I was debating the 1-pce vs 2-pce when I bought. If you're looking specifically at the 2-pce roadcrafter, the pants don't really hold up by themselves so you either leave them zipped to the jacket or wear suspenders or something.

When i was considering, I ran into a guy at the BMW dealer in Ventura, who explained that with a 1-pce, you never had the option of leaving the pants on a hook in the garage because "it was just a short ride" - and remember, you gotta save your ass, that's where the skin grafts come from.

I never found the 1-pce Roadcrafter too bad for heat as long as I was moving, even in the summer in LA.

If I was to buy another, I'd probably go for the 1-pce again, or else a Darien jacket and pants (better in the rain, and a bit more comfy). I THINK i'm old and wise enough now to never ride with just the jacket.

YMMV, opinions are like assholes... etc, etc, etc

Hope this helps

Griff

This is a toughie. I've ridden with a one piece for about 12 years and love them. When LD riding, it's the cat's meow. But...for touring, having the option of taking the jacket off at stops, for lunch, etc., would be nice. When riding with the boys I spend a lot of time cooking in the sun (LD Comfort tights underneath are NOT the thing to be standing around in at the gas station) or with the suit top hanging off me when seated in a restaurant. For more casual riding than sport riding or endurance touring, I'd consider LDRyder's comments. My next set up is likely to be a two piece.

I gotta agree with Biodsl. I've got 47+K on my one piece stitch, and it does just about everything I need it to.

Were I to purchase another stitch, I'd really look at the Darien jacket and pants. Having the ability to take off the jacket would be huge.

I am considering getting a road crafter suit for long distance trips. I live in California on the coast and that is where I do most my riding. I was wondering what would be better, a one piece suit or the two piece suit? Advantages disadvantages? I like the idea of a two piece suit just because you can change the jacket if it gets too hot.Matt
I've got the one piece. It is great for protection and ease of into and out of. But I would get a two piece mainly since the one piece leaks like a sieve in heavy downpours. I have to stop and put on some frogg togg bib style pants under the suit. That is a pain since I hate stopping and usually do when too late anyway, LOL. For the money, I'd go with Olympia AST and Firstgear TPG escape pants, but that is just me.

doctorj

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought about the problem of taking off the suit to go into a restaurant. I guess you could just unzip the top part and tie the arms together if you had the one piece? Decisions decisions. This is going to be a tough one...

When i was considering, I ran into a guy at the BMW dealer in Ventura, who explained that with a 1-pce, you never had the option of leaving the pants on a hook in the garage because "it was just a short ride" - and remember, you gotta save your ass, that's where the skin grafts come from.

+1

This is one of the main reasons I have a one piece. I have several friends who don't wear the pants because "it's just a short ride". Big mistake. Yea, the resturant thing is a bit of a bummer but you ride 99% of the time, stand around 1% (or at least I do)

I have the Roadcrafter 1 piece, and the Motorport Kevar mesh. Since getting the Kevlar mesh, I rarely wear my 'Stitch anymore. I've ridden the 'Stitch to Calgary, and the Motoport to NAFO so I've got good touring time with both.

On the plus side: The one piece is easier to get in and out of, fits tighter (read: better) and it's warmer, it will fit in a saddlebag.

On the minus side: The 'Stitch is warmer (I'm dieing in 100+ deg), leaks in the rain, and barely fits in an empty saddlebag leaving minimum room for other items.

Near the coast, the warmth of the 'Stitch might be considered a plus, in the valley, it's a minus.

I have a 1 peice and I like it, I take the suit off when eating its hard to eat with it on, the collar gets in the way I don't really mind, its nice to get out of it when it's warmer. I had some leaking at the crouch area but sealed it up with seam seal and had not problems since and it rains a little in Seattle.

Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
LDRyder, how do the 2, AD1 & Roadcrafter jacket, mate up? I have AD1 pants & have considered a Darien or Roadcrafter jacket... but curious about them mating up. Do you wear suspenders or such?

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought about the problem of taking off the suit to go into a restaurant. I guess you could just unzip the top part and tie the arms together if you had the one piece? Decisions decisions. This is going to be a tough one...
You may want to consider: the Roadcrafter Jacket (jacket only) & Darien/Darien Light/A.D.1. Pants combination?

The Roadcrafter benefits from over twice the available alteration options (vs Darien Jacket) -- so, depending on your size/shape, the Roadcrafter can end up looking like a decent motorcycling garment (instead of like a 'potato sack'... imho :) ).

IME, the Roadcrafter Jacket is quite waterproof (for most thunderstorms -- but, not all-day rain) and the Darien Pants are waterproof.

I think the factory alteration options (especially for Roadcrafter) can be very valuable for some.

Good luck with you decision.

LDRyder, how do the 2, AD1 & Roadcrafter jacket, mate up? I have AD1 pants & have considered a Darien or Roadcrafter jacket... but curious about them mating up. Do you wear suspenders or such?
They don't really mate up, at least not like the Roadcrafter pants and jacket. Which is the reason why I did the combo. I wanted to be able to take my jacket off when I go in to eat or hanging around the parking lot. The Darien AD1 (and regular Darien's) pants stay up all by themselves and are tailored like jeans. They include a web belt. In the case of the AD1's it's a hidden money belt (don't tell anybody). FWIW I've never had ANY leakage with either my Roadcrafter jacket or Darien pants, and I've used both the regular Darien's and my current AD1's.

You didn't ask, but in the summer I wear LDComfort riding shorts under my pants, never jeans (too bulky). When the weather starts to cool down I move to either LDComfort tights or if really cold a pair off REI thick fleece pants (full leg zip and far cheaper than the Aerostich ones). I wear a Gerbing heated liner under the Roadcrafter jacket. These and my heated Russell seat will take me down into the teens without any problem.

I always find it interesting when someone says their stich leaks "like a sieve". I have had my Darien jacket and pants in many rainstorms, including all day rains with very little leakage. If I am sloppy in zipping it up it will get past the zipper, otherwise it is nothing short of remarkable.

As far as the one-piece/two-piece argument, I am not so sure. I chose the Darien system for the longer, unlined jacket and it's possibly longer season potential. I have worn it well in every weather. However, I was just reading through the accounts of Tylers accident and treatment, and the part about the semi truck "pantsing" her, causing much of her injuries. That might not have been as severe if her pants couldn't have slid off. but it is hard to know. That would make a good argument for the one piece.

Having said that, I will probably replace my Darien with another Darien. It has just been that good! Not the only good jacket/pants, but IMHO, the best for me.

paul from Minnesota

In our group we have 1pc and 2pc roadcrafters, and a Darien + pants.

The 1pc leaks the most. But for 90% of the rains we ride through, it keeps us dry, and when it does leak, it's minimal.

The Darien + Pants arguement that you can take off the jacket easier than the 1pc doesn't hold. It's much easier to remove the 1pc. And when it's hot and we stop, getting out of the 1pc in a hurry is very nice. If you're worried about being seen in your shorts... well ... that's prolly more the fault of what you're wearing under the 'stich than the 'stich itself.

If I were to do it over again, I'd get another 1pc.