Aftermarket exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Are there really "noticible" improvements in performance when installing aftermarket exhaust? or is it really just more noise?

Are there really "noticible" improvements in performance when installing aftermarket exhaust? or is it really just more noise?
Yes and no. A set of slip-ons would not likely make much of a difference according to a dyno. There may be a perception of increased power because some people like to run to higher revs for the noise factor and in doing so, they are in a higher torque range at higher rpm. A "full" system is substantially more open without catalytic converters and would more likely make a bit more horsepower. This type of system usually includes fuelling mods and possibly airbox mods so you are actually looking at a complete package rather than just a simple exhaust change. More power is available but a simple set of cans might not make much difference IMHO.

Ross

How much more do you really need. I still have original on my bike and it will be 10 years old in Aug. Never needed more power and really could never use it. Are you racing the bike or riding the bike.

Yes and no. A set of slip-ons would not likely make much of a difference according to a dyno. There may be a perception of increased power because some people like to run to higher revs for the noise factor and in doing so, they are in a higher torque range at higher rpm. A "full" system is substantially more open without catalytic converters and would more likely make a bit more horsepower. This type of system usually includes fuelling mods and possibly airbox mods so you are actually looking at a complete package rather than just a simple exhaust change. More power is available but a simple set of cans might not make much difference IMHO.

Ross, thats what I thought and wanted to hear. I have aftermarket exhaust cans on my 08 that look great and sound terriffic (assuming you want the increased noise) but after 4 years of louder exhaust and just after riding a friends 09 with stock exhaust I,ve decided to go back to stock as the noise doesn,t do it for me anymore

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
One notable improvement: your wallet is a lot lighter.

I'm still waiting for my extra noise to arrive. I have a confession to make: yesterday, after 6 days of waiting, I had a meltdown when there was nothing in my mailbox.

mailbox.jpg

Then I realized that SkooterG did ship the Staintunes by US mail, but they'd be broght to the house, not the mailbox. Oops. Anybody know where I can get a cheap mailbox ? Anyway, UPS must have a busy delivery schedule this week.

On another note, I took all my Sunday School kids for a ride on the FJR today. I do this about once a month (with their mom's permission, of course). This is the last time they'll be going for a nice quiet ride and enjoying the sound of the wind...

Gary

darksider #44

That must be SOME KIND of telephoto lens you've got Mike... I live in Florida.

However, you've got a great idea there. It certainly would save a lot of time as it takes quite a while to take each kid for a short ride...

Gary

darksider #44

Hi All,

I am not a selfish bastard! Ever since I got my STAINTUNES I share with everybody. I took the restrictors out and everyone waves at me and me being the sociable type I wave right back. I see them and they see me. Win, win.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Yes and no I suppose, I put GPR TRi-Ovals [slip ons] on mine with the noise inserts installed and I love it. Performance wise probably a "no", though I "think" it feels a bit smoother in the midrange. It definitely sounds better and is right in the sweet spot of "sounds good but doesn't rattle the neighbors windows as 6 A.M". What is noticeable to me though is the weight. I can honestly feel a difference in the ride and handling of the bike. The stock cans are pretty beefy and have some weight to them!

+1 on NITRO's statement.

I found my biggest improvement was after the PCV was tuned with the new cans which goes back to what others have said. It is a package deal when looking for noticable HP increases.