Aftermarket pipes from those who ride distance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
With my insurance money I can get some aftermarkets for almost a wash of what they allow for the stock can.

My question here is not a particular aftermarkets sound (well it is) but if going from the quite stock to a long 5,8,10hour + ride do you wish you had the "Quiet " back?

I ride without plugs as the V stream kills pretty much all wind noise for me and I have speakers in the helmet for music. So if I put on louder pipes I would most assuriedly hear them all day and night if the ride were that long. A 1-2 or 3 hour ride I don't think would really matter as that is a short distance and comfort things have'nt even begun to creep their heads yet, but if you are doing a 5-800 mile day does it or would the "sound" get on your nerves. granted we are not talking IBA stuff here, those things are prob gonna be a blue moon Item for me as in something every other year or so (I have plans for a BBG this summer), but I do like to get out for a nice 300 mile + day when the occasion arrises.

If you are fine with what you have say so, also If you wish you hadn't please speak up.

I have the BlueFlame Performance EVO3 Oval cans, these have two baffles to let you configure the sound to your liking. I run with one baffle out, which sounds great, obviously louder than stock, but not obnoxious. I do however always wear ear plugs with a CalSci screen. The point I'm trying to make given that you don't wear ear plugs and have a quiet screen I would advise going for cans that have configurable sound output. On the EVOs adding/removing the baffles takes about 1 min per can and the baffles are really small so no problem bringing along...

My question here is not a particular aftermarkets sound (well it is) but if going from the quite stock to a long 5,8,10hour + ride do you wish you had the "Quiet " back?
I ride any where from 20 to 40k miles per year and have Holeshots installed. I also wear earplugs and have helmet speakers behind a CB +2/+3 shield, usually at its lowest position. I also don't commute on the bike, all miles are trips or events.

The Holeshots don't bother me a bit and I like the low rumble.

YMMV.

dougc

Holeshots, earplugs, Bluetooth headset intercom (but no music.) Phone and intercom are fine with earplugs, and I like the sound of the Holeshots.

Edit: Added to address drone spoken of by some below:

My bike's sound changes completely at about 55 mph, like the exhaust switches registers. (If you've ever blown a musical instrument, you know what a register is - some even have a register key on the left thumb.) highway sound is fine, but if I had to cruise on the highway with the sound the bike makes at 40 or 45, I'd be less pleased with it. Maybe my helmet is noisy enough that the exhaust sound falls into background noise, but the exhaust doesn't even register consciously. I use the engine sound to shift, I can tell my speed from the exhaust tone, but I would never consider it to be an annoying drone sound.

As for earplugs, I wear them more for pressure blasts rather than sound protection. Although I certainly appreciate the hearing protection, there's nothing pleasant about crossing on oncoming semi's wake with open ears at a speed relative to each other of around 130.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Muzzys on my 03 and after last season which was about 20,000 miles I took them off and sold them. The constant drone on the hiway gave me a headache. Around town the sound is fun but I find that I like the quiet much better. I do wear ear plugs all the time. :)

I also have the Blueflame Dual Ports Oval cans. I run mine with BOTH ports out, I wear earplugs, have stock windscreen, and wear a Suomy helmet. I usually only hear *some* wind noise from my helmet, but I love to hear the rumble of the bike with the exhaust. I just came from an SV1000S with Gianelli exhausts with no baffles, but I like loud exhuast.

+3 on the Holeshots and earplugs.

The earplugs are NOT for the exhaust sound, they are for noise in general. I do not wear earplugs on my daily ride to work as it is only about 10 minutes. NO complaints about noise. I like the Holeshots because they make the FJR sound like a bike at idle and during axcelleration, but do not drone at speed.

By the way, I am running stock headers. I have heard the Holeshot headers with the pipes and, IMO, they are too loud for me.

Full muzzy system with repacked muffler....no problems....thousands of miles ridden....always wear earplugs :good: ....

You wear ear plugs because you don't want to lose your hearing. Regardless of the V-Stream (Oh, I have one of those too) The normal road and buffeting noise will take it's toll. Motorcycle riders are like number two in stats for having degrading hearing loss.

I have the oval Two Bothers Racing cans. They sound great mellow throaty roar without being obnoxious, or even too loud. They sound great and won't even piss off the poe-lease. Goats fart (Go for it).

I once went on a IBA ride with another bike that had unbaffled aftermarkets (I think Holeshots) and the headlights pointed way too far up. From behind or in front, annoying as hell. I'd go for some quieter pipes than stock if they were available. I ain't about making noise, except in my helmet speakers....

no doubt that for long distance riding every bit of noise you can cut out the less fatigue one will have during the ride.

That said, I have Leo Vince exhaust cans and ride with them most of the time as they have a great, but louder, tone.

But for long rides, like to NAFO and SFO I will most likely put the stock cans back on to reduce the noise level.

I also put the stock cans back on when my S.O. rides with me so we can both hear better. Changing the exhaust cans takes less than five minutes per side.

Oh yeah, I wear custom molded ear plugs whenever I go more than 20 miles.

I highly recommend them over the soft squishy types because they fit so well you hardly remember you have them in and don't get knocked out when putting on and taking off my helmet.

Remus Hex with or without the silencer plugs. Pillion never complained in 10 days/2,000 miles straight with plugs out. I run plugs in now because I prefer the improved low-end response.

As much as I hate to agree with Mr. Ashe, I love my Remus Hex's after many miles. I'm still running my with plugs out. Folks the I ride with seem to like the growl. Not loud but a deep throatier sound.

The low rumble of my Leo Vinces disapears at speed. No effects from noise on long trips and this is with my quiet cores removed.

I had the Muzzys on my 03 and after last season which was about 20,000 miles I took them off and sold them. The constant drone on the hiway gave me a headache. Around town the sound is fun but I find that I like the quiet much better. I do wear ear plugs all the time. :)
Me too...with my Holeshots. I have condsidered butting them back on just to see if it was a "mood" thing or if I was really bugged. I sem to remember being tired of the "drone". But I'm an olde pharte.

Like Mike_H, I have the full Muzzy with repacked muffler and I always wear earplugs.

[hijack to promote use of hearing protection]

I can't hear well as it is after too many concerts, motorsports, and guns during my youth without ear protection. I rode from NY to Utah with earplugs last summer without being bothered by noise. I wear soft rubber earplugs and they are comfortable all day long, day after day. The foam ones make my ears a little sore after a while.

[/hijack]