Aftermarket pipes from those who ride distance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question here is not a particular aftermarkets sound (well it is) but if going from the quite stock to a long 5,8,10hour + ride do you wish you had the "Quiet " back?
I ride any where from 20 to 40k miles per year and have Holeshots installed. I also wear earplugs and have helmet speakers behind a CB +2/+3 shield, usually at its lowest position. I also don't commute on the bike, all miles are trips or events.

The Holeshots don't bother me a bit and I like the low rumble.

YMMV.

dougc
What he said. I have the complete system and love the sound. On highway runs the sound is almost lost while cruising. With a PC the performance and cat/ weight loss is also a plus no matter how minimal. I wear custom stereo earplugs not for the sound of the full system but for the ambient noise from riding. I have GPS and music. With the system I can hear where the bike is at during performance runs through the twisties and mountains where shifting is a must. Not necessary but I like!

Last edited by a moderator:
+6 on the Holeshot slip ons. :yahoo:

I have the OEM headers. BUT, I must remember to put my ear plugs in. I tried speakers in the helmet, but the MP3 player's output was not enough to drive the speakers at an acceptable sound level. Now I use "over the ear" speakers (MP3) with the 'hook' attachment.

The original pipes are nice, but I like a 'bit of noise', and don't find the Holeshots obtrusive at all. Had my wife on the bike for her first +250km country run last weekend. Travelling at $1.60 - $1.90, she did not complain (about the speed, or the noise).

But in the end....whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too love my Remus Hexacones!! I run with the baffles in, for now. I am planning to gut the cats and then see how she sounds both ways(baffles in or out).

WW

I love my Staintunes! The sound with the end plugs in is only slightly louder than stock (but better). With them out, the sound is pure heaven but still not nearly as loud as most after market pipes.

Still, on long trips, I'll sometimes put the plugs back in as the noise with them out will start to wear a bit even through ear plugs and my Arai Profile with speakers.

Fencer, Just buy some straight pipes! Remember: Loud Pipes Save Lives!!

Do the right thing... ;)

JW

My dentist is completely deaf (certified) in his right ear from riding his straight-piped H-D Heritage to Sturgis -- without a helmet, of course.

Even though the #s seem to point that aftermarkets are not bothersome. I think I will stay stock.

I had a 350 chevy that I put loud pipes on and hated it.

I am fond of its stealthness.

Thanks for the replies.

You wear ear plugs because you don't want to lose your hearing. Regardless of the V-Stream (Oh, I have one of those too) The normal road and buffeting noise will take it's toll. Motorcycle riders are like number two in stats for having degrading hearing loss.
What?

BTDT. Have the hearing loss charts to prove it. I can no longer stand to ride without plugs. It seems the less hearing you have left the more that friggen wind noise bothers you.

Riding with no ear plugs is not even a remote option for me...