Aftermarket Rear Spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snox49x

Reaction score
Does anyone make a stiffer rear spring to fit the stock shock on an 08? I would like to stiffen up the ride (especially 2-up) but dont want to spend the coin on a complete shock/spring setup. I always ride with the stock set-up in the hard position which is OK when solo but too soft when loaded up. Would like to replace the spring to be able to run solo on the soft setting and then still have the adjustment when needed.

Thanks,

Tom

I just got front and rear springs for my 06 from Hyper Pro, they just had a group buy that ended 5/31/09, check under the group buy section. I got the combo set for $225.00 and it comes with fork oil, ask them if they will give you the discount.

I know hyperpro does. I'm probably gonna get one at some point this year. Probably others as well.

Does anyone make a stiffer rear spring to fit the stock shock on an 08? I would like to stiffen up the ride (especially 2-up) but dont want to spend the coin on a complete shock/spring setup. I always ride with the stock set-up in the hard position which is OK when solo but too soft when loaded up. Would like to replace the spring to be able to run solo on the soft setting and then still have the adjustment when needed.
Thanks,

Tom

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the setting adjustment lever (hard and soft) only changes the compression damping (the dial at the bottom changes rebound damping). It does not increase the preload of the spring itself. I thought of getting one of the Hyperpro springs for the rear but the shipping to Canada well....................we just get hosed. :blink:

Are you going to CFR? if you want you can ship it to me and I will bring it up to CFR for you the cost will be a tall cold beer. PM me

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the setting adjustment lever (hard and soft) only changes the compression damping
No, I am pretty sure that is incorrect.

The "Hard" - "Soft" lever is all you have for pre-load... two settings only, not terribly helpful.

Compression is screw-adjusted using a straight-slot screwdriver.

And the bottom adjustment knob is rebound.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the setting adjustment lever (hard and soft) only changes the compression damping
Okay..., you're wrong.

The soft/hard lever locks-out one of the springs when put in the 'hard' position and only uses the heavier of the two.

That lever has nothing to do with damping.

Edit: 'Warchild' is a (2 minutes) faster type'r.

No, I am pretty sure that is incorrect.

The "Hard" - "Soft" lever is all you have for pre-load... two settings only, not terribly helpful.

Compression is screw-adjusted using a straight-slot screwdriver.

And the bottom adjustment knob is rebound.

Thanks for the insight. I figured I must have been wrong :rolleyes: I really can't tell any difference between lever positions anyway, perhaps it's time for a new(er) shock :rolleyes:

Okay..., you're wrong.

The soft/hard lever locks-out one of the springs when put in the 'hard' position and only uses the heavier of the two.

Your FJR has 2 rear springs?!?
Yes and so does yours.

Wow, I had no idea. Neat-o!

Given the hassle of changing the spring why not just go with an completely new unit from Penske, Wilburs, Ohlins etc

You might even luck out on a used one

The stock shock will need to be changed out within the first couple of years as it is not serviceable.

You can always remove the new shock when selling the bike and sell that and get 50% back off the cost later

The base Penske units are not that expensive either and even they are far better than the standard unit.

Chris

Rear stock shock has two springs, one above the other, one softer, one harder. The "hard" position of the lever locks the soft spring so it's out of the picture. They call it a preload, but it's really just a selection of spring rate.

No compression damping adjustment on either Gen I or II.

Stock shock image stolen from fjr1300.info, an article about adding a spacer to the shock to raise ride height. (An awful lot of work for something better done with a dog-bone change, BTW.) I labelled the parts for those that are just too daft to see it.

FJRshock.jpg

Rear stock shock has two springs, one above the other, one softer, one harder. The "hard" position of the lever locks the soft spring so it's out of the picture. They call it a preload, but it's really just a selection of spring rate.
No compression damping adjustment on either Gen I or II.

Stock shock image stolen from fjr1300.info, an article about adding a spacer to the shock to raise ride height. (An awful lot of work for something better done with a dog-bone change, BTW.) I labelled the parts for those that are just too daft to see it.

FJRshock.jpg

Thank you! What a bizarre way to get around adding an adjustable preload.