Aftermarket shock questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigslim

Reaction score
I have begun to look at aftermarket suspensions and there are several options I simply do not understand the benefits of. I am very much a suspension newbie and I do not run my bike particularly hard. My main motivation is to set the bike up for my weight, I weigh 255.

Can someone explain the advantages of a remote reservoir over fixed?

What’s the purpose of preload adjustment? That would be used to setup the suspension for whether or not there is a passenger, correct?

Finally, why do the shocks need to be rebuilt, what is done during this rebuild? Would the stock shock also need to be rebuilt? Given how much an aftermarket rear shock costs, I’m very surprised they need to be rebuilt every 25K miles. I work on cars and even track mine, high quality coilovers/shocks in an automotive application do not need to be rebuilt regularly.

The remote reservoir allows you to get to the adjustments easier for adjustments. It could also be an advantage if space around the shock is tight.

The preload adjustment is used to set sag. For optimum handling you would adjust this when you are riding 2 up or hauling a lot of luggage etc. It can also be used to make the shock feel "softer" or "firmer"

I am not sure if the stock shock can be rebuilt, but it is simply a maintenance interval. Seals can get worn, springs wear out, and oil can get old.

I am not a suspension expert by any means, but I can tell you that suspension upgrades are some of the best upgrades I have experienced on bikes. Its just something you have to try before you can fully appreciate it.

Agree with kaos. The suspension upgrade is the best afternarket thing I've done to my bike. Puts the "sport" into sports touring. I had mine done by GP Suspension; upgrade to pensske shock and front fork rebuild. Wouldn't be convenient for you though; they're in Washington state.

Even if you don't ride hard, upgraded suspension offers a smoother, more controlled ride; better damping characteristics due to higher quality materials and better engineering. Stock suspensions are designed with cost and an average weight rider in mind (whatever that is), so if your weight falls outside that range by a fair amount the setup becomes inadequate.

Spring pre-load can compensate for load changes to a point; too far outside the nominal and you really should change springs. Of course all forks are "rebuild-able" and the quality after market shocks are designed with that in mind. Bike shocks have smaller pistons, valve orifices, etc. and can be subjected to more heat causing contaminated, broken down oil and seals quicker than in cars. By having different vehicle dynamics, these changes can be felt more readily on a bike too.

Suspension upgrade should be both ends not just one . Rear shock upgrade only will lead to it laughing at the front end "been there done that" on my Vstrom .I,m about your weight and about to order the race tech deal on this board https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150975-race-tech-suspension-group-buy/ for my FJR . FJR are under sprung with typical low quality spring steel that Japan manufacturers seem to always use and cheap dampers . If you think like me, enjoy your FJR and are not thinking of replacing it in the near future spend the dollars like I am because it will be a much better bike to ride . When I replaced my rear shock on my Vstrom everyone could not believe how much better I road in corners ,this was simple because I was not being pitched about and always correcting my line .

Space requirements and cooling are two reason for a remote set up , remote preload on the other hand is handy if you carry a pillion as you can adjust the setting for the extra weight in about 30 second rather than a few minutes stuffing around.

Its your money so look carefully but for me its also a question of safety as I carry my eldest son on the back and I know he cannot be replaced .

Its an old saying but very true and applies to suspension "the best you know is the best you have used "

Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful.

Yes I do plan on replacing the springs in front at the same time I do the rear shock. I'm looking forward to killing my brake dive. Along those lines, if I do get stiffer springs in front to deal with my weight, are the stock forks up to the task of handling the stiffer springs? I have seen revalve kits for them, is that just to change the dynamics?

Bigslim, Race Tech! They can fix you up! With your specific needs they can build a shock, and provide you with springs and valves for your forks. If you aren't comfortable doing the fork work yourself you can probably find a local suspension outfit to do the fork labour? I upgraded last year, I'm about 220? Great improvement!

the thing an aftermarket suspension did for me was take the drama out of hittling bumps or ridges or anything that upset the suspension in mid-corner,

I have a Wilburs suspension on my '05 FJR and it was and is the best thing I every did to it. Especially for when my wife rides with me.

If all you've ever ridden is stock suspension motorcycles you really have not experienced how good it can be.

Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful.
Yes I do plan on replacing the springs in front at the same time I do the rear shock. I'm looking forward to killing my brake dive. Along those lines, if I do get stiffer springs in front to deal with my weight, are the stock forks up to the task of handling the stiffer springs? I have seen revalve kits for them, is that just to change the dynamics?
Changing the valving (ie: Gold Valves) gets you better compliance and control. You could "stiffen" up the feel of stock fork (damping wise) by going with heavier fork oil or a different brand oil that has a thicker viscosity, but keep in mind, you still won't have the advantages that quality valving can offer.