Aftermarket suspension ideas? Help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe_4x4

Reaction score
I've finally given up on my stock suspension. I'm 5'11" tall, 330 lbs, riding a 2009 FJR abs model.

I'm definitely a canyon carver... 3 digit speeds on the freeways.

What do you guys recommend doing, and do you have specific names of the manufacturers and model/part #'s for everything?

I live in the Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley area, so if any of you have a recommendation for places here, lemme know.

"Tige" at Catalyst Reaction in Tustin suggested this setup:

Front Springs - Eibach 1.0 kg springs, and change valving to "piston dampening/cartridge style" for around $750

Rear shock - Penske 8983 for around $850

so around $1600 total including parts and labor

What do you guys think? Is it a good deal??

Last edited by a moderator:
The bike's carrying capacity is about 485 lbs. That doesn't mean it's going to preform optimally at that weight in the stock configuration. Still sounds like you haven't found a proper setup for you yet.

I weight about 285 now, and was as high as about 325 while riding with the stock suspension. I was running something around the following: preload maxed out, 3-4 clicks out from least damping. The rear was always set to hard, and the same for the damping.

Switched to aftermarket rear suspension and fork springs and it made a world of difference. There are several options available, and you can search in the parts and accessories section for more details.

There are also better tires than stock and fork braces.

Have you just been taking guesses at the suspension? That's not the best way to get good results. You need to make adjustments and evaluate, and make changes in a methodical manner. You need to understand what the change you're making to the suspension should do to the ride.

1st, get rid of the OEM Bridgestones. ;) J/K!!!!!

Hmmmmm, even with a blown rear shock my bike turned in and held a line. This isn't a "sport bike" and it takes some effort to turn this 1,000 lb. monster (bike and rider). Perhaps trying a different technique?

BTW, I don't drag pegs any longer...it just isn't worth it on the street. Too many variables for my taste.

Yep, got rid of the "stones" around 900 mile mark. HATED those things.

I followed Haul'n Ashes' advice, but still can't get it to run right. I had an FZ1 with 36000 miles on it that ran like a dream from day 1 to the day I sold it. Got the FJR to be able to carry more luggage and all that, but have had nothing but terrible riding since day 1.

I wonder if anyone has tried to get the dealer to pay for the suspension upgrade, since it sucks for heavier riders!!! I mean, isn't it a warranty / safety issue?

1st, get rid of the OEM Bridgestones. ;) J/K!!!!!
Hmmmmm, even with a blown rear shock my bike turned in and held a line. This isn't a "sport bike" and it takes some effort to turn this 1,000 lb. monster (bike and rider). Perhaps trying a different technique?

BTW, I don't drag pegs any longer...it just isn't worth it on the street. Too many variables for my taste.

When I had my stock yamaha FZ1 I was scraping pegs and hitting 3 digit speeds in the twisties. I know I'm not Valentino Rossi and the FJR isn't an R-1 superbike, but something is DEFINITELY off about the fjr suspension for heavier riders. I mean I can't even get it to make a banking corner on the freeway above 45-50 mph. I ride on the side streets now in shame. lol.

One assumes you have the rear shock set on "hard" or "firm".....

While I don't tip the scale like you do but, at 250-260 lbs., I'm not a light-weight, either. The rear shock on "soft" was a nightmare for cornering. The FJR just wouldn't accept any turn-in signals from the front tire.

Seriously, your best bet is probably going to be from the aftermarket....and the sooner the better. If you are taxing your springs, none of the adjustments are going to be of much help.

I got HyperPro Combo spring kit for $225.00 and 5/8" dogbones, and so far I really like the change, I do not have an extra $,1600.00 for a full Penske so I thought I would give HyperPro a shot.

Marcus

I used suspension settings on the stock suspension identical to Slappy. The bike still wallowed and pogo'd in corners with dips or bumps. Aftermarket suspension and better tires Avon Storms/ Michelin PR2's, etc. Made a world of difference.

I got Ohlins front springs and rear shock with external adjusters (I don't think the Penske 8983 has them) installed by Kyle Racing (Monterey) for about the same price.

Check out my vendor feedback post.

I am 350lbs, And run the Penske 8981 which is no longer available, But the Penske 8983 with a 900lb spring is almost the same thing i run. Up front i run the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 with 1.2 springs.

Call Lee and ask any questions you have. He's a super guy and knows the FJR well. 770-592-3823

.....I'm 5'11" tall, 330 lbs, riding a 2009 FJR abs model.
......., so if any of you have a recommendation for places here, lemme know.
That gives a BMI of over 45 - 'most anything stock will struggle with that.
Thanks for the fitness tip, Richard Simmons, But that is not what this thread is about. <_<

There was a GP Suspension group buy back in Oct '08 when many of us purchased Penske or other shocks. I bought the 8987 for the extra adjustment. It's been a great improvement. I had planned to do the fork at the same time but switched from an '05 FJR to an '06 AE before I had the work done.

Others were very happy with the fork work done by GP. I don't recall any discussion of it being a cartridge style replacement. You may want to touch base with GP to see what options they recommend.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...penske&st=0

I weigh 280.

Brian