Aftermarket Windshield Dilemma

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the Rifle.

I'm 5'9 with 30" inseam. I have a HeliBars Performance Replacement Triple Clamp so I sit a bit upright and have a Russell Day-Long Saddle.

I have an OEM screen, a Yamaha Touring Screen, a Yamaha Touring Screen w/ Laminar Lip, a CalSci Medium, a CalSci Large, and a Rifle which is +3" tall and +4 " wide.

With all of those choices, I kept going back to the Rifle. It puts a lot of very smooth air on me in the lowest position and is very quiet when slightly raised. I don't really like the look of it but for me, it's the best of the six windscreens that have been mounted on my bike.

I have a Rifle shield and find the wind protection and lack of noise to be excellent. I don't think I have heard of any problems with the Rifle shield. The Yamaha touring shield has mixed reviews, some like it and some don't.

CAJW: I took your advice and rode up to West Sac today to Cal Sci. Mark & the crew greeted me at the door & gave me a tour of the production facility - laser cutter, curing oven, etc. Very interesting, but the clincher was when one of the engineering workers installed a large windscreen on my bike. Mark told me their only sales tactic was to "take it for a ride". I did, and returned to make the purchase. Rode home - half I-5 and half country roads, and couldn't be happier. Full up I'm looking through the first inch or so of the shield, with a nice quiet pocket. Lowering the shield, I got a decent amount of airflow (there's a vent window in the lower part of the shield) that was about perfect for cooling me down after the sun came out.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and experiences. I'm now ready to try riding the coast highway to Portland or Seattle. It's good to be retired on a new Feejer! :p

I am 6'4" and the tall Yamaha screen was very unpleasant: buffeting and a lot of torque on my neck when I turned my head sideways.

With the Cal Sci XL screen I have no problems at all. Smooth, even airflow. The screen is a bit smaller than recommended on the website, but I like to have my head in the wind, especially when it is 40C (104F for you imperialist ;) )

I am 6'4" and the tall Yamaha screen was very unpleasant: buffeting and a lot of torque on my neck when I turned my head sideways.

With the Cal Sci XL screen I have no problems at all. Smooth, even airflow. The screen is a bit smaller than recommended on the website, but I like to have my head in the wind, especially when it is 40C (104F for you imperialist ;) )
You guys are making me consider selling my Cee Bailey and trying a Cal Sci!

Glad to see you took CAJW (John's) advice and test rode a CalSci. I was going to give that post a "+1" tlll I saw you had already. Living in Sac, I did the same thing on my first FJR. When I came back to the shop I told Mark "this is the first time I've ever heard the engine on the bike while riding on the highway."

One thing to keep in mind when asking for opinions here on the forum: people tend to like what they have and give it good marks. So most of the folks who vote for one brand or another, whether windscreen, or helmet, or tires, or tank bag, etc. tell about the one they have and like. Very few have tried ALL--or even more than one or two--of the options available. Best course is to find guys who'll let you try theirs, or at least look at it, before you decide for yourself. Local guys did that for me back then, and I just switched screens for a day with a couple of them. The CalSci was the winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you took CAJW (John's) advice and test rode a CalSci. I was going to give that post a "+1" tlll I saw you had already. Living in Sac, I did the same thing on my first FJR. When I came back to the shop I told Mark "this is the first time I've ever heard the engine on the bike while riding on the highway."

One thing to keep in mind when asking for opinions here on the forum: people tend to like what they have and give it good marks. So most of the folks who vote for one brand or another, whether windscreen, or helmet, or tires, or tank bag, etc. tell about the one they have and like. Very few have tried ALL--or even more than one or two--of the options available. Best course is to find guys who'll let you try theirs, or at least look at it, before you decide for yourself. Local guys did that for me back then, and I just switched screens for a day with a couple of them. The CalSci was the winner.
What size Cal Sci are you using? Anyone here used their tinted shorty in the summer?

5'10 32" inseam here and I'm using the Yammie Touring Screen. Another inch of height would be perfect for me but it's not bad.

I'm 5 ft 8", 30 inch inseam and the Cali Sci middle size windshield works for me. Vastly superior to the OEM screen. I normally use it as a look over, but when the rain comes I raise it and it becomes a look thru...Best of both worlds.

Bill

What size Cal Sci are you using? Anyone here used their tinted shorty in the summer?
I got the "Largr", which is 3.5" taller than stock. I'd probably be OK with the Medium, too. Took it out for a 200 mile ride Saturday,and was really happy with the performance.

I got the "Largr", which is 3.5" taller than stock. I'd probably be OK with the Medium, too. Took it out for a 200 mile ride Saturday,and was really happy with the performance.
That's what I would be curious about... When I ordered my Cee Bailey, the salesman talked me into a +4 high when I thought a +2 with the flip would be sufficient. Now even with the CB all the way down, I feel like it blocks to much wind on a hot day. You guys have me considering the Cal Sci, but I'm mixed on whether the medium or large would be best. My main concern is being too hot in the summer since that's when I do the majority of my riding. I'm 6' 2" with a 32 inseam.

What size Cal Sci are you using?
I got the "Largr", which is 3.5" taller than stock. I'd probably be OK with the Medium, too.
That's what I would be curious about... When I ordered my Cee Bailey, the salesman talked me into a +4 high when I thought a +2 with the flip would be sufficient. Now even with the CB all the way down, I feel like it blocks to much wind on a hot day. You guys have me considering the Cal Sci, but I'm mixed on whether the medium or large would be best. My main concern is being too hot in the summer since that's when I do the majority of my riding. I'm 6' 2" with a 32 inseam.
Unless they've changed (and grown) a lot in 3 years ago, when to talk to "someone" at CalSci, you're not talking to a salesman, you're talking to the owner and inventor/designer of the screen--Mark, an engineer. Bike windscreens are just a part of their very technical business, because Mark's a rider and wanted a better-designed screen himself. So he made one.

Anyway, point is, call them, give him your height, inseam, etc, and take his recommendation. I'm very sure you could return and exchange a purchase for a size change (as long as it was still in sellable condition) if you want. He's had good marks for customer service. I don't recall which size I had, as that bike ended up totaled and the screen busted up in a nasty crash a couple three years back, but it was whatever Mark recommended for me (6'1", 33 inseam), so he'll do the same for you. Most reports I've heard, at least, seem to feel the CB "flip" is a not-too-functioan gimmick that doesn't do much, though saying that, I fully expect a storm of rebuttal posts. Just what I've heard. YMMV.

If I'm not mistaking either the Cali Sci web site or talking to the ower explains why the flip is not the bees knees its touted to be.

Bill

Ah...the ole windscreen discussion. I bought the Cal-Sci and it does the job but I haven't had it on the bike for over a year now. After getting a good helmet (rf-1100) and finally getting used to using earplugs, I find the OEM shield works the best.

Ah...the ole windscreen discussion. I bought the Cal-Sci and it does the job but I haven't had it on the bike for over a year now. After getting a good helmet (rf-1100) and finally getting used to using earplugs, I find the OEM shield works the best.

+1, mind you, I iz short