Air Box Part/Mod From Wild Hair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a shame that so much money is spent on exhaust systems when most of the horsepower to be gained is with the intake system. You can't increase the volume OUT of the system without increasing the volume IN.

I've been fairly successful modifying Yamaha intake/filter systems on racing 4-stroke bikes until the past two years. Yami has learned to squeeze everything possible through their intakes within the allowable limits of noise and contaminants. Like Jestal said, I seriously doubt that Yami stumped their toe and left 20 HP lying around the airbox. If they did, I've not been able to see it.

IMHO, there's no doubt the FJR could benefit from a different intake structure. But how do you straighten out all those intake angles, limit the noise and still fit it all in the available space? Good luck with all that.

If I were racing the FJR I'd have a chopped open air box and no side panels with a forward-facing intake stack. But why not just buy an R1???

:)

Would the FI automagically adjust to increased airflow? I significantly increased the air flow into a V-Star but also had to do several fuel flow modifications to the carburetors to make it work. It made more horsepower but it isn't a no brainer thing to do.

Cruiser engines almost beg for help so plenty of people oblige...seems if there was a realistic way to increase FJR horsepower we'd have heard about it AND it would be documented.

I would love it, if I could get together with a couple of FJR owners here in central florida, and do a swap test to see how my bike feels to someone thats running stock. It would have to be anyone with a gen one bike to keep it all in perspecitve.

Jestal,

thanks for the education. I have been down the CAI road with a few cars. And while most smaller motors dont get much bennifit for a CAI, V-8s and turbo and supercharged cars seem to get a good kick in the pants. My CX-7(2.3 turbo DFI) showed 18.4hp gain on the dyno with the CAI vs. the stock air box and 12ftlbs. And this was accross the whole power band. My Speed3 had a similer gain (19.3)...

Sean

I took the airbox snorkel off my '05 FJR and it does seem to run smoother also.
you mean this from WH?

MeissAirFilterCoverFJR.jpg
Is that a picture of an FJR application?

I can't find that part anywhere in the WH FJR section.

I took the airbox snorkel off my '05 FJR and it does seem to run smoother also.
you mean this from WH?

It is a FJR application. The cover is just a bit more than half way down the page. When you are on the FJR1300 page either go to the top bar, click Edit, then Find on This Page or <ctrl F> then type in Airbox <enter>; this should take you right to the item.

Last edited by a moderator:
you mean this from WH?

It is a FJR application. The cover is just a bit more than half way down the page. When you are on the FJR1300 page either go to the top bar, click Edit, then Find on This Page or <ctrl F> then type in Airbox <enter>; this should take you right to the item.

Hmm...how'd I miss that?

Thanks

Bump for any updates??

Has anyone else tried this air box mod....On the dyno or side by side comparos.... I still subscribe to the performance idea of the more in(intake air and fuel) and the more out (exhaust) = more hp. However, I do understand how a lot of folks effectively de-tune their rides when they don't have them properly tuned along with the mods.

Considering this mod...

WW