Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikemiser

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the way to get the air filter out ? It seems the cover needs to drop down under wiring harness and flange on top right corner. Will the filter element let the cover drop down ? I hate to just start pulling on main wiring harness. Thanks for any help.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone give me the way to get the air filter out ? It seems the cover needs to drop down under wiring harness and flange on top right corner. Will the filter element let the cover drop down ? I hate to just start pulling on main wiring harness. Thanks for any help.Jim
I just changed mine and you need to move the harnesses out of the way to clear the air box cover. It did not seem to be much of an issue.

Can anyone give me the way to get the air filter out ? It seems the cover needs to drop down under wiring harness and flange on top right corner. Will the filter element let the cover drop down ? I hate to just start pulling on main wiring harness. Thanks for any help.Jim

bikemiser, pages 6-18 and 6-19 of the owners manual shows how to remove and clean the air filter.

If you no longer have your owners manual, you can download one from the Yamaha Motors website - Yamaha Manual clicky

Just be glad you don't have an AE model. :blink:

I've got this 18" pry bar....... :rolleyes:

That'll work too. DAMHIK

I've got this 18" pry bar....... :rolleyes:

Sissy :huh:

Get a Man's pry bar.. ;)

120055.jpg

:jester:

You have to gently lift the harness out of the way. Don't trust them prybar- boyz.. :rolleyes: The filter isn't the easiest thing to get to.

I think getting to the air filter is A PITA. First time I tried I thought WTF am I doing wrong. I couldn't get the last top left screw from behind the wiring harness out. Three covers and a wiring harness in the way. But then, there's not a lot of room and things are tight.

FJJ'sR

No....don't yank...it ain't yer dick....pull. Pull hard. It'll come out. If you pull hard enough.

Oh let me tell you... I invent new cuss words every time I have to clean the Air Filter (K&N) on my AE. Got to take the mounting bolts out of the damn shifting servo and move it to the side so that the intake horn can clear it, @(%^@_)#*& *$& #!!!! :angry03:

V.

Well apparently whatever you taught her she doesn't want to show me... I dunno, sumpin fishy here :blink:

:****:

:jester:

Typing as someone who hasn't owned very long/had the tank off yet to check for space, is there no room for ditching the airbox and using coned K&Ns on each intake? That was a common solution on my Yamaha Warrior and it opened up a lot of room under the tank (and let it breathe a lot better).

I'm already planning on removing the Air Induction System and I bought new plugs and a sync tool. If I could get rid of the airbox at the same time, that would be awesome. I realize that would lean things out but I'd probably go all out and change the exhaust and add a PCIII at the same time.

Oh let me tell you... I invent new cuss words every time I have to clean the Air Filter (K&N) on my AE. Got to take the mounting bolts out of the damn shifting servo and move it to the side so that the intake horn can clear it, @(%^@_)#*& *$& #!!!! :angry03:

V.
Gunny that. That and the TBS were less disassembly on the Gen I. It must be the price of progress. :)