Air Hawk Seat Cushion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought one last month and did two 1100 mile days since then. It's kind of weird at first but wonderful once you get past the movement in the seat. The secret is let out the air until just before you butt hits the seat. If in doubt keep letting air out! Strap it down, my riding partner lost his on the first day!

Cateye77

I've got a Corbin that was on the bike when it was purchased. Typical Corbin- rock hard. In spring I bought some of the same materials Rick Mayer uses on his seats to redo my FZ1 seat. Rick builds great seat for the FZ and seems to be the standard for those, unlike for the FJR. After several tries, I finally had a seat I like that can easily do a 250 mile day on a stiffly sprung FZ, AND some leftover materials. :)

I used some of the discounted 1" pudgee material, cutting it to fit the basic shape of the corbin rider section. Then I bought some black vinyl from a sewing store and a backpack strap and the plastic thingie that keeps it tight. Tina then sewed a cover out of the vinyl and incorporated the strap into the cover.

A 175 mile test ride was great, and a 20 hour, 1100+ miler while 2-up was even better. I never had any trouble with my butt on that ride. Temps ranged from 40 to 90+ and it never got hot or cold. About 600 miles of the 1100 were twisties (hence the long time to cover 1100 miles) and it never slid or moved at all.

Its perfect and any thoughts of buying a custom seat are gone.

total cost: under 15 bucks and an hour of Tina's time

Here is a link for the Pudgee material

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/sopudgee.htm

If you would like a pic, let me know. I don't have any but will take a few if someone is curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you build a whole seat, you will have to use something like Sunmate (available from the same site) for supportive base with a layer of pudgee over the top for comfort. I learned that the hard way, or should i say the soft way. All pudgee feels great but isnt supportive.

I kept the design simple so that the sewing would be simple. here is the cushion on the FJR

Picture059600x450.jpg

This is a side view

Picture060600x450.jpg

Here is the back pack strap and clasp on seat underside

Picture061600x450.jpg

A pic of some pudgee material

Picture062600x450.jpg

not sure what happened to the flash there...