Air Horn Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny80s

Turtle Gears
Reaction score
I just finished installing my air horn and when I press the horn the horn button I hear the compressor come on but the horn does not honk. I did do a test honk when I first got it and worked well enough to hurt my ears. Now I hear the compressor run but no honk.

I used a relay when I installed it. The one came in the box with the horn. I wired up correctly as per the diagram in the directions. I hooked the horn up to my air compressor and got it to honk with 60 psi. I am thinking my compressor is not working at full capacity.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

TIA

John

Oh and yes the air line is hooked up to the compressor and the horn and clamped tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check the muffler bearings??? I had an medium size air horn on a Yamaha Venture I had...and at first it didn't work because it wasn't grounded good enough...then later on it stopped working and the reed in the horn was broken....

The air horn (i.e. compressor terminals) has a positive and negative terminal, unlike the freeway blasters, et al. If you switch the terminals it will change the direction of the air...i.e. it will suck instead of blow. And all you will hear is the sucking sound.

("Suck, dont' blow! Blow is just an expression!"...sorry, it had to be said)

I just instaled the Nautilus on my wife's bike and did this exact thing. Switch the terminals and all will be good in the world.

Neil's got the answer. Mine did the same until I reversed the terminals.

Why do you need an air horn? The rider is bad enough. :p

My Stebel Magnums are just fine, no need for the added weight and hassle, etc, of an air horn install. Oh yeah, you're Johnny80's. ;)

I guess I am going to have to call the manufacturer on Monday. I can get the horns to honk but it takes 60 psi from my air compressor. Does anyone know how many psi the little compressor that comes with the airhorn makes?

Have you tried it with the bike running? Could need more juice then just the battery can provide.

Greg

If the wire you used is too thin it could restrict the power going to the compressor.

My Stebel Nautilus has been working fine, but I wonder if you didn't get a bad one. Apparantly there's been some bad ones shipped as reported ON THIS WEBSITE

They are worth every penny when working correctly! :devil:

few weeks ago I had my suspension set up and there was a cruiser with this air horn. We decided to do a small comparison. I have exact model as described in the fjrtech 138 db low and high and it sounded louder and meaner then that air horn. just saying :)