Air Wing Redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Radman, wasn't real clear on the web site. I am awaiting a reply from them about FJR specific hand wings mentioned by Garauld.

Bill

Ya' know, IMO these things look like ass... but really look like they work. There are definitely times when I NEED more air in the cockpit... like now in the 90+ degree heat.

Ya' know, IMO these things look like ass... but really look like they work. There are definitely times when I NEED more air in the cockpit... like now in the 90+ degree heat.
Yep!! :wackosmiley:

When I'm tooling along with fresh air blowing on my legs, pouring over the tank and causing my MiraCool vest to work as advertised.....my "hand wings" look just fine!

Thanks Radman, wasn't real clear on the web site. I am awaiting a reply from them about FJR specific hand wings mentioned by Garauld.
Bill
Try doing some searching around here. If I remember correctly -- and I usually don't -- there were at least two threads going on this topic at the same time a year or so ago. Baker started selling FJR specific air wings last year, and some early adopters were complaining that they couldn't adjust them all they way because they hit the mirror stalks. I'd already decided to mimic radman and go the Goldwing hand wing route, so I didn't really pay attention to see if it was a Gen 1/2 thing, or a design mistake that was later fixed, or installation problem, or what.

Whew, that makes me feel better. All those times people were yelling, "ASS!" I thought they were talking about me. Must have been the wings.

;)

Bill
Try doing some searching around here. If I remember correctly -- and I usually don't -- there were at least two threads going on this topic at the same time a year or so ago. Baker started selling FJR specific air wings last year, and some early adopters were complaining that they couldn't adjust them all they way because they hit the mirror stalks. I'd already decided to mimic radman and go the Goldwing hand wing route, so I didn't really pay attention to see if it was a Gen 1/2 thing, or a design mistake that was later fixed, or installation problem, or what.

Here is the pictures I received from Baker of the FJR specific Hand Wings. They need to be ordered by calling their toll-free number 1-800-451-9464. Not to thrilled about their bracket, I think I will use the G-mount with the GW Hand Wings.

P4300013.jpg

P4300004fixed.jpg

Bill

Well, it's good to know someone at Baker knows where the local Ace Hardware is..........

So how well do these help the cooling on the 05's? I'm planning to track across the desert in July and I'll need all the help I can get with heat. Heat from the waist down seems to be the worst part for me.

What would I need to buy and where?

So how well do these help the cooling on the 05's? I'm planning to track across the desert in July and I'll need all the help I can get with heat. Heat from the waist down seems to be the worst part for me.
What would I need to buy and where?
Re. the desert heat: Last time I rode through the desert in July, it seemed better to block the wind than suck more in. For example, it was much more uncomfortable with my face shield open than closed. You may want to turn the wings out to block the wind. Just idly speculatin'...

Re. buying stuff: This is, unfortunately, the kind of thing I don't keep close track of. But after seeing radman's pics a year ago, here's what I did:

(1) Went to the vendor's section to look up contact info for ordering Garauld's light brackets, then dropped him an email telling him what I planned to do. Got an immediate response from Gary and that deal was done (after seeing the Baker brackets, by the way, I'd stick with Gary's).

(2) Googled Baker Built air wings. The main site is https://www.bakerbuilt.com/ and poked around until I found the GL1500 hand wings. Scratched my nose a couple of times while I thought about what color to order to order, then ordered.

(3) Once all the pieces arrived, I futzed around a bit imagining how they'd look, then went to Lowe's to pick up little bits of fastening hardware to connect the wings to the brackets (you'll also need to drill the ends of the brackets for the wings -- Gary drills the holes for mounting beneath the mirror stalks). I don't remember if the nylon lock nuts came with the air wings or if I had to buy those at Lowe's, but that's the really essential thing. I might have needed a slightly longer bolt. I think there were plenty of washers and I think I basically followed Baker's instructions for the order the washers should go to hook them up to the Gold Wing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi, I remember trying to convince HaulinAshe that a pair of these would really keep him cool, especially considering where he lives. He looked at mine and said that there was no way he would ever put anything that ugly on his bike!!

Frankly, I like 'um, especially this time of year.

jim

Don't install the wings they are pictured on the bike above. Install them with the narrow portion forward, the wider section to the back. Installed the way they are here they lose effectiveness. Mine are stalk mounted on the mirrors and at the full open position will pull so much air in it will start to lift my helmet. At full open they will actually drive air under the front lip of the tank keeping it significantly cooler.

As for their effectiveness in the desert I can attest that they work wonderfully. They pull in all of the air you can handle. 2 years ago on the way to Reno we rode Utah 95 across the desert, 105 to 123 degrees the entire way. We were both wearing wet vests and mesh jackets to keep our bodies cool. I was never hot the entire ride. Actually a little cool at times. Evaporative cooling really works.

When we stopped at Hanksville Craig, with no wings, opened up his tank and had a small geyser of fuel and a boiling gas tank to welcome him. I had a gas tank that was only slightly warm, no fuel boil or geysering. Previously if it was above 90 and the tank was low you couldn't touch the tank with your bare hand for any length of time. I can rest a bare hand on the frame around the engine now and not get burned. The only heat they don't completely solve is very low on the left ankle, but it is not the scorcher down there it once was. Now just a warm trickle, very tolerable.

New pics showing Radmount System®

Wing001.jpg

Wing002.jpg

Wing003.jpg

Wing004.jpg

Wing005.jpg

Wing006.jpg

Fugly, yes. Functional, hell yes. Everything MNFJR05 says and more-warmer in the cold, cooler in the heat. Windshield full up (+4+4 CB) so nice and quiet, but the wings provide tons of air at any speed.

Rad,

Did those GL1500 Handwings come with all of the hardware except for Garauld's brackets?

Thx,

Bruce

Rad,Did those GL1500 Handwings come with all of the hardware except for Geraulds brackets?

Thx,

Bruce
Yes and no. Baker supplies posts for mounting on the Wing-I used stainless bolts and nuts to mount to the brackets. 1/4" if I recall.

BTW, I normally ship out the brackets for the air wings undrilled so you can position the mounting hole as needed.
Note that my brackets were originally just used for the Hellas. No doubt undrilled would be preferable, the install wouldn't need to be quite so tight. It should be mentioned that the brackets are remarkably stable considering all the crap hung on 'em, a testament to their superior build quality.

Do I get a new set gratis now G? :p

Heidi, I remember trying to convince HaulinAshe that a pair of these would really keep him cool, especially considering where he lives. He looked at mine and said that there was no way he would ever put anything that ugly on his bike!!

Frankly, I like 'um, especially this time of year.

jim
Jeff is very funny about what he puts on his bike. I imagine that he nixed these quickly. I think that I'll keep with my original plan & not ride when it's too hot. No doubt that they do work. Sometimes... not all of the time I am function over form. Not in this case.