AIS- Oily mess

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son’s ‘94 XR650L. Apparently he let the oil get too low. Lost compression, as you might imagine.

It appears the bore is not fatally damaged (steel sleeve). Going to try stuffing another stock size piston kit in there.

It’s a learning experience: Watch your oil level!

My son’s ‘94 XR650L. Apparently he let the oil get too low. Lost compression, as you might imagine.

It appears the bore is not fatally damaged (steel sleeve). Going to try stuffing another stock size piston kit in there.

It’s a learning experience: Watch your oil level!

Wait! A son of yours let the oil get too low grenading the motor???? I am not buying it. Doe he have any resemblance to the postman?

I am about to do a tbs on my 2019 A and cannot find paint on any of the screws. I think #3 cylinder is the reference but theres no paint on it. I just deleted the pairs. Can Anyone verify which screw is the reference? I bought the bike recently.

I am about to do a tbs on my 2019 A and cannot find paint on any of the screws. I think #3 cylinder is the reference but theres no paint on it. I just deleted the pairs. Can Anyone verify which screw is the reference? I bought the bike recently.

One of the screws will be full CW, lightly seated. That’s the one with lowest vacuum when they are all fully CW. Then they open the other three up to match that one. This way you have the least amount of bypass air going through the balance screws, and the most going though the throttle plates under Idle Control Valve regulation.

One of the screws will be full CW, lightly seated. That’s the one with lowest vacuum when they are all fully CW. Then they open the other three up to match that one. This way you have the least amount of bypass air going through the balance screws, and the most going though the throttle plates under Idle Control Valve regulation.
Been here since 07, first time I read it that way, but I do skip things some times!

Thanks! It was #2. Curiously, #1 was also full cw and opening it would move it farther out of alignment. Very slight adjustment needed on #4. All good now!

Been here since 07, first time I read it that way, but I do skip things some times!

This was new for 3rd Gens and later, because they have the Idle Control Valves. Prior to that, even the reference throttle screw was open somewhat, to get a decent idle speed. I haven’t even thought of this in almost 10 years. It’s amazing the stuff that gets locked in your brain. Need someway to flush the old stuff out to make room for something new!

Wait! A son of yours let the oil get too low grenading the motor???? I am not buying it. Doe he have any resemblance to the postman?

My “son” is closing in on 40, and he’s the youngest.

I know, I don’t look old enough to have 40-45 year old kids, but it’s true. And you haven’t seen me inna while either. Since 2014, actually, when you sold me on the red beauty that still runs like a top, albeit at a paltry 70k miles. ;)

Are you recommending Yamaha Ring Free, or one of the many more reasonably priced alternatives? I’m still not convinced rings are the issue. I did use Motul Engine Clean the previous two oil changes. And since I am asking questions, is there a PAIR close off kit you recommend?
-Steve
Although it's expensive, I'd go with Yamaha Ring Free. A forum member (Dave / Wynpro?) used to make the plates. IIRC he stopped making his accessories a few years ago. Maybe search eBay?

~G

Are you recommending Yamaha Ring Free, or one of the many more reasonably priced alternatives? I’m still not convinced rings are the issue. I did use Motul Engine Clean the previous two oil changes. And since I am asking questions, is there a PAIR close off kit you recommend?
-Steve
No special kit needed. You can get everything at an auto parts store. This video explains how.